Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Take THAT, Blaha!

1 Like

To me, Killianā€™s ceiling is Ricky Rubio. Is it enough for him to start at PG over Cade? Most likely not. I rather have the Pistons play Cade as the lead guard to use his size, passing, vision, shooting and playmaking potential to unlock the rest of the lineup. Hayes projects more of a complimentary piece who can run the 2nd unit. I think a lot of people (cough KOC cough were overstating his potential pre-draft IMO.

Seems a waste to not even try to see if your lottery pick can play with your other lottery pick. Or at least build his value enough to trade him for a piece that might fit better.

3 Likes

My annual Pistons Over/Under Contest is available to enter here: Pistons Over/Under Contest
We had a fun panel discussion podcast last night, as I revealed the categories and got various opinions from some popular people on ā€œPistons Twitter.ā€

This year, the winner will get 2 seats to a Pistons game next year (not likely to be great seats, as it comes out of my pocket) and a $50 gift certificate to 24th Cheesecakerie. It costs nothing to enter. You just have to create an account for the Pistons Forum Website and enter your picks in the thread.

If you do enter, and are on Twitter, please include your handle, so I can follow you there and let you know how youā€™re doing as the season goes on and Over/Unders get determined.

Thoughts on Preseason/First Game:

Olynyk is a huge upgrade over Plumlee.
Saddiq Bey looks like heā€™s added some playmaking and iso scoring.
Stewart is a really good defender.
Frank Jackson might be the ideal pairing for Cade in the starting lineup, complementary skills and keeps Cade from having to defend PGs.
They should try a Cade, Bey, Grant, Olynyk, Stewart lineup for some minutes as thatā€™s their best five.

Yeah if they had anything in the way of shot creation they win this game. I thought defense was very good, and effort was good - but no easy shots all game. If your offense is based around Jerami Grant and Saddiq Bey playing one on one, wellā€¦.

And man, they canā€™t survive Killian playing like he did tonight. Even with Cade I think this team is going to have a hard time scoring, they canā€™t have a guy just not participate offensively.

21% from three isnā€™t going to win you any games in the NBA

Hayes ainā€™t it. He was vastly overrated pre-draft but I didnā€™t see him not being able to shoot in this level. His FT% has been good, but he had one good year of shooting which is his last year at Europe. Is it a mirage? So far, itā€™s looking like it. He has average at best athleticism, canā€™t go right, isnā€™t a creative ballhandler and now he canā€™t shoot. His redeeming quality is defense and vision. The overall package isnā€™t an useful rotational NBA player at this point.

Just put Cade in as a lead guard and have Hayes come off the bench as a PG. No point of moving Cade off the ball when him being a PG is why he was drafted #1 overall. If Cade isnā€™t the lead guard then itā€™s a stupid decision by Casey.

3 Likes

I did have a fun time watching Ayoā€™s 8 minutes of wild disruption.

I genuinely canā€™t believe I wrote a page long thesis about why Cade should be a primary ball handler and that Killian should start from the bench for his own development. Nevermind the fact that I got abused for saying it, Killianā€™s playing himself out of the starting five way too quickly for us to even have that debate. Heā€™s been awful since Summer League.

1 Like

I think the length of your post is what led to the reaction. As well as calling him Kylian which seemed like just being purposefully and bizarrely disrespectful but is apparently Mbappeā€™s first name in a veiled reference to the French soccer player. But I honestly assumed Mbappe was Mbappeā€™s first name so I had no idea what you meant and I doubt many people here knew what you were referencing either.

KOC is gonna want his 2020 draft board erased from the internet on a couple years I think

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t making any purposeful reference to Mbappe, I was just so used to reading Mbappeā€™s first name that I assumed thatā€™s how you spell Hayesā€™ lol

1 Like

Still not too discouraged by Hayes. He was always a long term project. I do think he would probably benefit from coming off the bench, but the Pistons second unit is solid, so I can see Casey not wanting to disrupt that. If at the end of the season, he still canā€™t put together a solid stretch of games, then Iā€™ll be out on him. But when we drafted him, we knew it was kind of a boom or bust situation.

If he doesnā€™t work out, I donā€™t think the Pistons will be drafting a Frenchman for a long time.

2 Likes

The surest way to derail an offense is to play an incompetent PG, and career to date, thatā€™s what Hayes has demonstrated himself to be. I think he badly needs a G-League stint, or to play at a competition level where heā€™s able to work on his deficiencies instead of getting routinely steam-rolled (I honestly donā€™t know if the G-League is low enough a level for him to do this).

You cannot play him off ball, because he possesses none of the skills an off-ball player needs. But, as mentioned above, do the Pistons want to take the ball out of Cunninghamā€™s hands to play Hayes? Do they want to sacrifice a season of development of Cunningham, Bey, and Stewart because they are playing with a PG who canā€™t participate offensively?

I donā€™t think so?

4 Likes

Iā€™d be down for a G-League stint but my guess is they think it would be too embarrassing

1 Like

That wonā€™t fix him.
Very disappointing player so far. Thought he had more game. Right now this is a big miss.

1 Like

Not sure if itā€™s more embarrassing than repeats of last night, where he was just incapable of participating offensively against a pretty bad defense (and an at-best mediocre defensive player in Lavine).

1 Like

Cunningham is going to play on and off ball throughout his career. Heā€™s a good shooter, so itā€™s ok if he is off ball at times. And the Pistons arenā€™t going to be good and I donā€™t think them being bad is going to hurt Cunninghamā€™s development. Didnā€™t at Oklahoma St IMO, even though his teammates couldnā€™t hit the broad side of a barn.

Iā€™d be fine with G League. Heā€™s played 27 games in his career. He just turned 20. I knew heā€™d be a project and wouldnā€™t be good for a few seasons. I think getting hurt last year did set him back a bit. But his effort is still there and from everything I can tell, his work ethic isnā€™t bad.

I think playing in the G-League would be good for his confidence, and the Pistons should be embarrassed if they are indeed embarrassed about putting in the G-League. At this point, anointing him the 1a to Cadeā€™s 1b in ball handling duties, playing up his practice sessions and saying heā€™s the best player in practice, giving him an automatic starting spot over actual NBA players like CoJo, Frank, etc, is not doing him any favors.

I interpreted it as the Pistons being worried that Hayes would be shook by a stint in the G League. If the Pistons themselves are too embarrassed to do the right thing to develop a player, then thatā€™s just sad.