Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Unless Vinson is a magician, I don’t think Detroit can play Ivey-Ausar-Duren at the same time.

It’s a good signing. Like the 2 years. Hopefully we can flip him to a contender for a 1st rounder in 1.5 years

$13 mil AAV for Harris strikes me as fine

He’s probably worse than Fontecchio (I don’t think there is a “probably” there actually), but they aren’t paying him like a starter anyway so w/e

I’m starting to question where/if timmy plays but again, w/e

You can replace Ausar with Fontecchio and have Tobi play PF. Idc either way.

It’s $26M per. The deal is 2 years / $52M.

2 Likes

I like this less now

but there is definitely a “what are they gonna do with this capspace anyway” quality to it all

still think that the Ausar-Harris-Duren frontcourt basically brings many of the same problems as the Ausar-Stew-Duren frontcourt with only very slight mitigation of the same problems (and possible introduction of some other problems)

Harris’s shooting plays at the 4, not really the 3. He’s a poor defender at this point, solid rebounder

he shoots more than Stew, so that helps, but he’s not an asset as a shooter, just more acceptable. Downside D. I don’t know. I’m mildly down on it now at that price (but again who else are they signing I suppose)

Much rather play Fontecchio and Thompson than Harris.

1 Like

It’s a lot, but year 2 they might be able to trade him as an expiring deal at the deadline for some other asset. You’re right though that they need to spend the cap space. You can only take so many salary dump deals and need to add players who you actually plan to have on the court. They still have ~$25M to take on a couple bad contracts for future picks.

1 Like

I take it back! Harris shoots fewer threes than Stew and at less accuracy

I’d rather play Stew at the 4 full stop

and would REALLY rather play Thompson at the 4 and Fontecchio at the 3 than Harris

1 Like

Thank goodness you don’t have that issue and can play Pat Williams 48 minutes! :rofl:

Don’t do this to me!

Pat Williams at 23 or whatever he is basically plays the same as Tobias post-confidence shattering

1 Like

That’s crazy. I never would’ve thought that. I would expect his usage numbers would be lower though when you’re out there with Embiid and Maxey. Those guys are the focus. Detroit started the season with Killian, Ausar, and Duren out there, so Stew was (gags) the second best offensive player out there.

Tobi is at 3.5 per 36 (low), Stew over 4. Stew shot them marginally better

Neither are serious shooters. Main point being Harris doesn’t address the teams glaring flaw

I’d really be investigating ways to build my team that Fontecchio plays 34+ minutes

I’m looking at the remaining bigs in the FA market. Not much there if you want a rim protector. I would not mind Xavier Tillman. He can defend.

I would have to think Beef Stew is the most likeliest player to get traded. He’s a decent asset for teams who wants a back up big.

Maybe I missed somebody but here’s the last 5 3+ yr CBB players or older picks from previous drafts

They’re just straight up not plug and play guys. Bc ofc they’re not, if they were, they would’ve been way better in college and drafted sooner as a result!

whispering

This was the point I tried to make earlier about drafting “ready now guys”

And Corey Kispert! That’s who I was thinking of!

1 Like

Oh yeah totally agreeing with you. Think Knecht is a huge mistake and I dk what Givony is talking about bc that’s just not what you see when you look at these draft outcomes. These guys are not low key deals on those small contracts.

The #HeatCulture might have some voodoo so I’d say wait and hold on Jacquez

The point Givony wants to make is that they’re ready now. Jaquez being a rotation guy immediately is at least close to that? And there’s prob legit value in that deal? But it’s not much and it really only matters for teams deep in the tax.

Like, what’s a pure bench piece making in FA that’s days? It’s not even the non tax MLE, I’m sure. So what does a competitive team really get out of it? You’d almost always rather have the 20 yr old rookie that has SOME chance at being a legit starter in 4 years than a guy who is just about peaking as a decent bench piece.

2 Likes

I think you may be right. Mitchell and Agbaji have essentially only been asked to do a single thing (stick guys) and Kispert/Duarte a different single thing (shoot). They’ve all been put in EXTREMELY limited/tailored roles.

Jaime definitely does a lot more than any of them, and is waaaaaayyyy more central to team play. He probably ran more P&R’s in march than the other 4 have in their career combined

1 Like

I think the point is that Jacquez is like a 98% percentile outcome for the archtype, right.

The part I sort of agree with Givony on is that, like, Corey Kispert’s career to date is probaly worth more than Holland’s age 18/19/20 seasons charging headfirst into Brook Lopez’s chest (I’m being catty but you get my point), even if Kispert’s career arc is…very modest

1 Like