Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Will we see THj and Cade court side at a UM game?

3 Likes

Pistons raising their win value average to exceed $9M per individual win.

https://x.com/ShamsCharania/status/1807572492501836209?t=89o42x5x1zVRswDlsZ6OEw&s=19

https://x.com/wojespn/status/1807575377457336724?t=MgtDMcOOMSHmKT5JJN4xGA&s=19

Troy Weaver cooking

1 Like

To be fair I think thatā€™s moving the goal posts on the premise

I think the premise is that he will get whatever shooting skill there is out of who they have

3 Likes

Darn.
https://x.com/JADubin5/status/1807600703382208742

Not about the Pistons but funny:

https://x.com/BP3/status/1807584117178905021?t=uHPpuZQCAN2I2GKkVp3hZQ&s=19

3 Likes

Folks just really do not realize how hard it is to be even league average in the NBA before youā€™re 24. These guys were both a year young for their class and theyā€™ve progressed nicely. Added Maxey and Poole for reference.

Like, in all likelihood theyā€™re not gonna be stars but they werenā€™t the first pick in the draft so that wasnā€™t really the expectation anyway.

https://twitter.com/statsbylopez/status/1806704479787454699?s=46&t=pI3vfmsWTFNvkSEe6OFpuA

Warriors built a dynasty on 3 HoFers from outside the top 3 and not shockingly they couldnā€™t do it twice in twenty years.

No defense for Wiseman tho. Horrible scout, miserable player. JP, I dk man. Heā€™s an enigma. Hope heā€™s alright.

3 Likes

JP in the first graph is a beautiful snow-capped mountain

1 Like

Kuminga is one month younger than Brandon Miller (but has two more years of pro experience) and 18 months younger than Dalton Knecht (but has 3 more tears of pro experience). Heā€™s nearly a year younger than Franz

And he was the Warriorsā€¦.second best player?

1 Like

Kuminga and Moody can still be solid players. I was speaking moreso in that they are likely not good enough to put the Warriors back in contention before Steph is not up to that level anymore himself

I donā€™t think the Warriors can procure such a player, so I donā€™t disagree. I think Kuminga could very well become what Wiggins was that one year Wiggins wasnā€™t abominable, maybe better than that. I think ā€œmoderate level all-starā€ is very much on the table for him. This will drive this thread insane, but Iā€™m not positive heā€™s less valuable going forward than Cade, given positional scarcities

To try to bend this around to the Pistons

I thought about Cadeā€™s deal:

1. I still think they had to.
  2. I also think itā€™s very likely heā€™s overpaid.
  3. Theyā€™re like 4-5 years into a ā€œrebuildā€ and heā€™s basically the only asset they have right now that one could reasonably forecast to ā€œall-starā€. If he doesnā€™t hit that level, they are screwed to the point that overpaying him is irrelevant.

(also, FWIW, the Duncā€™d on guys like the JB hire - has a history of getting young teams to defend, and making teams with cramped spacing from no shooting win games defense first. Comment that made me laugh, per some things a few of us said ā€œI look forward to seeing him get fired in 4 years after 2 playoff appearancesā€)

3 Likes

I donā€™t think we have a general NBA thread so weā€™d have to make one or just keep non Pistons stuff in here and annoy the Pistons fans :smile:

2 Likes

Theyā€™re already solid players, but yes, you need 5 top 50 guys if you want to win a championship. I dk exactly what growth curves really look like but Iā€™d guess at least one for sure and probably both get there. Itā€™s just not happening soon enough and Iā€™d guess neither is on an eventual top 15 trajectory.

They really needed to get Caruso for Moody last deadline. Think part of the problem tho is that for whatever reason there isnā€™t that much interest in Moody and Kuminga. Not enough rebuilding teams would rather have a young player than a pick I guess? Which, maybe thatā€™s the right calculus given how little picks are paid but I dk. Itā€™s the same problem eventually. Young players tend not to be impactful on their first deal.

2 Likes

Right, while I think Givonyā€™s rant about not drafting Knecht was accurate (the teens and 20 year olds are mostly worthless on their initial deal and Knecht will probably not be, because he can probably walk in and shoot pretty well, maybe he can be that Gonzaga guy who is on the Wizards whose name I canā€™t remember), it misses the point that the value isnā€™t neccesarily having them on a cheap rookie deal, itā€™s that you are the leader in the clubhouse by like 8 strokes to sign them to a real deal later if they hit (and Knechtā€™s second deal will probably confer less quality play than a number of the younger guys, even if his rookie deal delivers more, in principle)

2 Likes

Ultimately they should have probably traded one or more of the picks if they wanted to extend their window. Mightā€™ve been tough with their cap situation. But ultimately they did end up winning again in 22 so hard to be too critical.

Kind of hoping Steph gets out and gets a chance to help another team win a title

1 Like

Tobias Harris is back! All-time Detroit legend!

Good contract length as well

1 Like

I would also like to take this time to announce I am officially a die hard 76ers, Magic, Bucks, and Heat fan

everyone going make fun of that Harris signing but those are the exact signings that help an organization get back to competency

6 Likes

2 years for $26 mil is meh to me. At least, itā€™s a somewhat of a reasonable deal for a wing player.

Lineup:
Cade, Jaden, Tobi, Ausar, Duren

Bench:
Fontecchio (if he signs the qualifying offer), THJ, Beef, Holland, Sasser, Klintman

They need a rim protector on the roster.

2 Likes