Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Yeah I mean “championship level coaches” don’t take 17 win teams

JB has established he can get a young team to defend and play competently

You want to switch out in three years, fine

I cannot stress enough - this team played STUPID basketball all year last year. No defensive fundamentals, turnovers through the roof

Someone needs to teach them how to play

4 Likes

People said the same thing about Dwayne Casey and he’s the same caliber coach as him. The Pistons can do better than hiring a retread who has been fired multiple times.

Dwayne Casey is a good coach

7 Likes

Eh, I don’t think he’s a good coach.

Those teams had no talent. Two were consciously tanking

What do you want

This team is going to stink next year, teams don’t add double digit wins very often

1 Like

I wouldn’t say they had no talent. They’re better than last season but were tanked by Monty’s inability to gaf about doing his job.

Borrego and JB are the two coaching candidates that I least want the Pistons to hire. All I want them is to hire an assistant coach who has put in their dues to become an HC. JB has had multiple chances.

…and succeeded at the last one

He won 143 games the last three years through near constant injuries

There were some articles that came out after the Cavs fired him saying guys like Donovan Mitchell did not have confidence in him as their coach and they were hesitant to commit to the Cavs if he stuck around. To Pistons’ fans, that sounds very similar to Suns players wanting Monty gone and Raptors players wanting Casey gone.

Detroit wasn’t going to hire some superstar and an NBA coach is definitely a different job than a football coach. If Trajan Langdon can build a competent roster, any coach can succeed. And if he builds a roster like Weaver, any coach will fail.

Yeah obviously the last paragraph is the thing

Did Raptors players want Casey gone? They seemed to all love him when they would come to Detroit. I thought it was just that they kept losing to Lebron after winning a ton of games in the regular season.

2 Likes

That’s the thing. It’s the exact same thing that happened to the last 2 coaches. I’m so frustrated with the hiring.

It’s obviously bad decision making to write off an entire pool of coaching talent bc your players have been dog vomit for a long time.

right, but i think it’s hard as sports fans to separate the emotional fatigue of a thing (“we keep losing to ohio state!”) from whether or not that’s actually predictive. i totally get being sick of hiring coaches like this - i’m sick of the red wings drafting well-rounded centers with debatable scoring touch with high-value picks - but it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a better choice to do something else - it just means it would feel better right now (and how it feels right now is not nothing but it’s far from the most important thing).

i like your takes generally and i know you know all this but it’s helpful to me to type it out as i wrestle with the red wings’ draft lol

1 Like

I am not a hockey guy so that kinda went over my head.

The fact that JB was fired bc the players like Donovan or Allen didn’t want him back is a huge red flag for me in addition to my other point of hiring retreads. The only retread I’m okay with hiring is if they’re good X’s and O’s coaches and have been pushed out by FO or owners after their first coaching job like Mike Malone, or Kenny Atkinson. JB isn’t any of it which is why I don’t like the hire.

Is this not the most concerning about JB?!??

Free agent offers I’d consider:
Tobias Harris at 20m/per
Gary Trent at 15m/per
Goga Bitadze at 10m/per
Naji Marshall at 10m/per
Dinwiddie could be good value for a couple years.

Hiring Bickerstaff makes a ton more sense to me than Sweeney who is a candidate literally nowhere else but used to work for the Pistons, so is thus a candidate, or Borrego who is also a retread but also never successfully coached a team (which Bickerstaff has)

“This guy can’t elevate us from the conference semis to the conference finals” seems like a cricticism (a valid one!) the Pistons don’t need to concern themselves with

Who else was a candidate

1 Like

Bickerstaff is the guy you hire before the guy. Let’s be real, a stud future HC isn’t going to Detroit as is. There’s a reason the list isn’t that exciting. Cause a Budenholzer coach in waiting type isn’t holding out to take this job.

4 Likes

Probably because of Bernie Bickerstaff, I was surprised to see JB Bickerstaff is only 45–the youngest of the known candidates. That’s 22 years younger than Dwayne Casey, which suggests they’re not at all the same person.

I was impressed with what he did in Cleveland compared to where they were. The fact that he got them to play defense and made the playoffs was impressive. The star player not liking him can be a red flag. It could also mean that he actually holds his players accountable and maybe isn’t the worst thing. Most players get really sick of tibbs but he consistently gets the most out of them.

The reality is that the Pistons are still multiple years away from contending so it probably doesn’t make too much of a difference.

2 Likes

https://x.com/wojespn/status/1807519928678797327?t=hDpAnQEJNEhiYAX7IJUSWw&s=19

Wow!!!