Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

usually a very good line of reasoning! but everything that seems like it’s been his idea has been a good one so far that I can tell.

yeah hard to know exactly how much autonomy he has or whether the big boss just randomly calls him to make rash decisions when he’s on a bender. drafting holland was fine. hopefully we’ll be flaggin’ for flagg.

You’re just saying “I want to hire an awesome coach” and the most likely outcome for any kind of hire is obviously not that. And if it’s your contention that your next hire is more likely to be good if hiring an assistant rather than previous head coaches…I doubt a proper accounting suggests that’s true.

You didn’t ask me but I think it’s…fine. How they structure the contract matters a lot. Williams median outcome is probably an average NBA player, maybe a bit better? So you’d think as of the last two years of the deal he’d be good value.

But I’m also amenable to Seth Partnow’s perspective that these RFAs almost never get offer sheets and that you have more leverage than is sometimes exercised and this matters more in the new CBA.

Getting Pat on a screaming deal and then being able to flip him would potentially kick start the rebuild—rn the Bulls are trying to do what I’m gonna guess they think is a mini tank a la GarPax post Jimmy and they’re gonna find the same thing: you need a TON of picks to make it work.

I’m saying that I rather roll the die on an assistant coach over a re-tread. The Pistons have been hiring re-treads with minimal success. He’ll be more of the same as the previous coaches which is a whole lot of nothing to me. This is the third time in a row that they hired a recently fired coach.

If the rest of the league hires assistants and finds worse coaches than when they hire “re-treads” and the Pistons hire bad “re-treads” that does not mean you should expect the assistants to be good. You should expect their inability to hire to also make that pool worse.

I don’t think coaching has been the biggest issue for the Detroit Pistons. I’m not saying it hasn’t been an issue. Especially last year. I’m ambivalent about coach Bickerstaff. Coach Beilein worked with him in Cleveland. He seems like a fine coach.

I’m more interested in the pieces Langdon is able to surround Cade Cunningham with. It’s going to be a telling off-season. I don’t see any reasons the Pistons cannot have a competitive team next season, and stay true to Langdon’s long-term vision. It’s not like the team is bereft of talent. It has been bereft of cohesion, and pieces that fit.

2 Likes

I never said I would expect the assistant to be good. I want something other than a recently fired re-tread HC. We’ve been in the same boat for the last few times.

1 Like

You’re pointing the finger at the wrong thing. The problem is the idiot making the hire and his bad process not the pool he’s hiring from.

Not good enough for the Cavs not to FIRE after their sorta OK playoff run (w/injuries) …., the Pistons will take him…. Give us your tired, your poor, your….Donovan Mitchells ……

It can be both! It’s a bad hire and also a bad process. The difference between last year and this year is this year pool is far better than last year.

1 Like

JB just very recently got a garbage team (pre Mitchell Cavs) to start playing real hoops and especially play defense

I think it’s a good developmental coach hire

Way better than the alternatives I saw bandied about

2 Likes

They will not have a competitive team

And I think Pat Williams stinks to high f’ing heaven

1 Like

It can be but that’s not the most reasonable inference. Historically coaches w experience are better. Gores is bad at hiring so he’s making that look worse than it is.

1 Like

I’m not considering Gores hiring into the JB hire. I just don’t think JB moves the needle for me at all and I wanted them to hire an assistant coach with a much bigger upside. JB is meh at best and is similar to Dwayne Casey. I also didn’t like the Casey hire at the time either.

And they rolled the dice on Rod Marinelli, Jim Schwartz, and Matt Patricia as 1st time head coaches before hitting on Campbell.

3 Likes

Bickerstaff took over a 22 win team of youngsters and got them to three straight playoffs

What are you guys honestly complaining about

Are you nuts

And this isn’t football

The Chiefs brought back a retread coach too, this whole conversation man

9 Likes

Schwartz was a hit because he took them to the playoff so I wouldn’t call his tenure a failure.

JB is a good man and coach who did a nice job with the Cavs. High floor coach who will bring professionalism and respectability to the franchise. Not sure if he’s a championship level coach, but the Pistons are not even close to that. He’s what they need right now.

3 Likes