Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Still rather see what Fontecchio can do.

Yeah, 3 2nds is a fine return for a 12 mil one year cap relief.

3 Likes

Would shock me if he didnā€™t ask for a buyout

3 Likes

They donā€™t play the same position. Fontecchio is a 3 and D wing player. THJ is a SG

THJ adds vet spacing which Pistons need to fill out the roster with. The fact he was unplayable in the NBA finals is kind of irrelevant to the Pistons lol. He was fine during the season. 3 seconds isnā€™t nothing as far as actual assets

10 Likes

Ivey/Sasser/Cade are fully capable of stapling Hardaway to the bench.

I donā€™t think heā€™s a positive player at this point in his career.

sure, and heā€™s still plenty good enough to get legit minutes on the Pistons and the one thing he does is what the Pistons need. In the regular season for a normal team heā€™s above replacement level easily.

1 Like

Pistons depth chart at the moment:

PG: Cade | Ivey | Sasser
SG: Ivey | THJ | Sasser
SF: Fontecchio | Holland | Brown
PF: Ausar | Beef | Klintman
C: Duren | Beef

If they can another wing player who can play SF/PG who can shoot and find a defensive big, it should be adequate and still continue to develop the young players.

1 Like

Sure. Im just frustrated that the Pistons always talk about cap room and they use it on vets who arenā€™t great anymore. Then the space rolls into the next year.

I would say that all the fancy stats have him being below replacement level for the Mavs last year.

tbh, this is what Weaver should have been doing (and what every successful rebuild does), use your cap space to acquire assets that you can flip in the future, instead of signing Mason Plumlee to a 3 year deal

4 Likes

He fell off at the end of the season, but there was a point midway through the season where he was practically the Vegas betting favorite for 6th man of the year.

Not saying he is in the Pistons future or anything, but he is useful as a bench shooter to try to put a cohesive lineup on the court and as an expiring contract.

6 Likes

yeah thatā€™s basically what I mean even if the stats had him below replacement level last year(heā€™d been above the previous 9).

You donā€™t make the trade because of THJ but he is someone that will fit into lots of lineups for them to at least give those poor young kids someone who will get shots up.

Or they could release him idk. but theoretically for a bad team with no shooting he makes sense if you are ok continuing to be bad but want to add shooting

2 Likes

Basically like bringing back Alec Burks. Not a fan of this move. I wouldā€™ve rather gambled on Grimesā€™s shot coming back after recovering from his injury.

1 Like

I would say unequivocally a good trade for Dallas though!

I donā€™t know. 3 2nd round picks and an expiring contract can be useful for future trade opportunities.

They arenā€™t bringing Hardaway to be Alec Burks or to be a part of their future. He is a potential asset and the picks are an asset.

Obviously depends how you feel about Grimes though. Is he year 2 QG or was that an anomaly? Even before the injury, he was having a worse season in NY last year than he did the prior season. However, if heā€™s a legitimate 3 and D piece with some upside, I can see the slight disappointment.

1 Like

Maybe they can flip THj at the trade deadline and get even more. Getting Grimes and Fontecchio were the rare move I liked from Troy Weaver. But yes I was kinda banking on him returning to what he was in year two.

1 Like

https://x.com/vincegoodwill/status/1806704322644005000?s=46&t=SywsRwjImAPP0DFzyXGjwg

Hawks just traded a pretty interesting young player for the 44th pick so if you can find a team that is vehemently against paying the tax you can get value for seconds

3 Likes