Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Is that “chasing short term results?” Just correcting the inaccuracy there. Move it along.

1 Like

We could flashback on this board a year and find there were at least a few board denizens who felt the same way. And the median opinion was prob somewhere between 30 and 35 wins.

There is a difference between simply expecting improvement and chasing short term results though. They essentially didn’t make any real moves last season so I’m not sure that they chased anything.

I would consider chasing short term results to be using up all of the cap space to sign mediocre players who win you a few more games, maybe even get you in contention for a play-in game, but don’t ultimately set you up for any real success. Or in other words, the Chicago Bulls plan.

This is not a defense of Weaver though. If anything, his empty off-season last summer probably largely contributed to his ultimate demise. I’m sure Gores would have kept him around if he actually chased short term success to the detriment of the franchise. So for that, I thank Weaver for not destroying the Pistons future flexibility like Van Gundy the President/GM did previously to try to save the job of Van Gundy the coach.

3 Likes

Wait so trading 2 second round picks for a 30+ year old veteran, and 2 more for a 28 year old, and retaining 2 34 year old wings, both of whom had trade value at the time ISN’T short term thinking?

Bojan had first round offers 1 year and 5 months earlier, and he traded him and Burks for a dead contract and Quentin Grimes

I think the Pistons made a number of small win now moves but obviously rolled over their space for the future.

All of those win now moves went terribly. None of them compromised their space going forward. Some of them were made w small opportunity cost that in retrospect would’ve been better spent on helping the future instead of the present.

So, mostly don’t co-sign @mgl but think it’s clear that Weaver thought they were one big acquisition from being more than cromulent and failed horribly. Outside observers warned this was not the case and fans largely disagreed.

I would call those poor decisions more than chasing any sort of success. Obviously Weaver thought he was making good moves to help the team, but they weren’t detrimental to the long term future no matter how poorly it worked out. Being a bad team and leaving $64 million in empty cap space is kind of the definition of not using all of your resources to chase success.

Now if he signed Ayton to a max deal last summer, that would be the short term result chasing with little payoff that we are talking about.

2 Likes

Love that pick for Detroit

I agree. 3 and D wing player with some upside. That’s exactly what the Pistons need.

https://x.com/wojespn/status/1806462159683031498?s=46&t=SywsRwjImAPP0DFzyXGjwg

How’d he look against Michigan. I don’t remember.

From the UMHoops Preview:

St. John’s has two excellent options at the point guard spot. Iona transfer Daniss Jenkins has been the early-season starter after coming over with Rick Pitino from Iona.

He missed time in the summer to finish his undergraduate degree but has reportedly been the best guard in the program this fall. He had 17 points, eight assists, and seven rebounds in the opener, which backs up that take. He shot 3-of-6 from deep but did turn it over six times in 29 minutes.

Jenkins has been through the wringer of college hoops with stops at Pacific and Iona, and he knows what Pitino expects from his lead guard. He shot 36% from 3-point range on 155 attempts last year, so his shot is respectable, but he was also 2-of-11 from 3-point range in two preseason games.

My suspicion is the Pistons vision is so long-term, it doesn’t include Cade Cunningham.

James went 1 for 10
https://x.com/JLEdwardsIII/status/1806105274819977221?t=1KB2UBt4Nq6Xcum8sxKBRg&s=19

1 Like

Detroit Pistons: C+

Round 1: Ron Holland II (No. 5)
Round 2: Bobi Klintman (No. 37 via Minnesota)

Drafting Holland No. 5 after he was 13th in ESPN’s final mock draft was one of the biggest surprises of Wednesday’s first round, but I see the logic. Holland was as impressive as any player in the 2024 class as a prep prospect before a disappointing season spent with G League Ignite. If you believe that was more about Ignite’s poor roster construction than Holland individually, taking him in the top five absolutely makes sense.

The biggest question is adding another non-shooter to a Detroit team already lacking in that skill, including last year’s No. 5 pick Ausar Thompson. The Pistons may be counting heavily on internal growth led by new assistant coach Fred Vinson, who has a strong track record of developing shooters with New Orleans. Klintman, who hit 36% of his 3s from the FIBA line in the Australian NBL, does bring some shooting ability.

https://x.com/wojespn/status/1806690611619385842

Not really a fan of this trade. No 1st rounder back not that surprising but Hardaway has fallen off fast.

1 Like

Not a fan either unless those 2nd round picks are turned into a 1st somehow.

1 Like

It’s whatever. Hardaway is an expiring contract so there is value in that too

4 Likes

At least we got some shooting

1 Like

I mean meh. Grimes hasn’t been all that good and isn’t in the future plans so they took on salary dump for 3 2nd round picks. I was hoping for a 1st but that wasn’t going to happen. It’s basically asset collecting.

THJ isn’t going to block Ivey and Sasser from PT IMO. THJ has been bad this past season to the point where he was unplayable.

1 Like

Now Timmy can hang around the Michigan program more often too. Cool for UMHoops (the program, not the website).

7 Likes