Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

No, it should not.

Weaver chased short term results this year, and…

I’m not sure what they could have done in this draft to drive short term winning anyway, as rookies don’t really drive winning, and the premise of like a Terrance Shannon (can help NOW) is not what they should be after in the draft.

1 Like

Find some credible pieces and compete. That should definitely be a priority. Developing young guys is also a priority. It’s what good organizations do. I don’t think it’s fine, to draft a guy who can’t play With the fifth overall pic, and rationalize it by saying we sucked last year.

Who is the alternative pick that helps them build a credible 24/25 dream?

1 Like

I’m not sure. Maybe Holland will be credible next season. If he’s not, then they need to put pieces around Cunningham who are regardless of the timeframe needed to teach Holland how to shoot

It is just all going to depend on Ausar and Holland’s ability to improve as shooters. At least one of them has to become a competent shooter or else you are going to have a really difficult time playing them on the floor together. And when you’re a young team like Detroit that has been drafting in the top 5 every year, the idea is to have those young pieces grow together. You’d like to be able to play your top 5 picks on the floor together.

Right now you can’t possibly play a lineup that has Ivey, Ausar, Holland and Duren together (or even just 3 of them). That’s not a functional offense when no one can shoot. So it doesn’t have to be next year, but at least one of Ausar or Holland is going to need to eventually get to a level of competency as a shooter for it to have any shot of working.

I do agree that the Pistons can address their issues in other places outside of the draft though. So I’m looking forward to seeing what else they do.

https://x.com/esidery/status/1806336685313069379?s=46&t=SywsRwjImAPP0DFzyXGjwg

My point is just that the Pistons should be drafting who they think is the best available player and not worrying about how guys will fit on a roster that isn’t close to the point where you worry about fit.

I’m not sure Holland is that guy at all, or who is, but that should be the logic.

2 Likes

There ya go.

https://x.com/ShamsCharania/status/1806374773657849868

Duke mafia is already starting. Not sure who will be next.

I think you have the cause and effect backward. The Pistons have a ton of bad shooters. Making good shooters better is plenty valuable in its own right but it’s a much easier pitch—and the cost of screwing up much lower—when you’re approaching guys who can’t shoot.

I think you’d be hard pressed to find a lot of similar shooting improvements on one team, but yes this reiterates my point re: control group and being clear on the treatment.

I can imagine Vinson isn’t super keen on detailing the secret sauce but as I say when this comes up from time to time, there are other coaches out there (including Steph Curry’s shooting coach) who regard this as a solved problem. What they actually do, I don’t know and am also very curious about! Wonder what kind of Athletic reporting there is out there on Vinson. I know their beat writer interviewed Jeff Stotts on the particulars of Zion’s various injuries, so he may have gone down other technical rabbit holes…

1 Like

Oh, it makes sense to hire him if you think he can help Cade, Ivey, Thompson, etc… I’ve just seen it used in the logic behind drafting Holland, but I’m sure that’s just social media stuff.

No he didn’t. He pursued 64 mil in cap space.

1 Like

Yeah, the big acquisitions last summer were Joe Harris and Monte Morris.

2 Likes

Cam Christie would make a lot of sense for the Pistons tbh.

I don’t see a rim protector big available that would make sense at 37.

Clearly the Pistons are moving up to take Bronny

Weird that they announced this trade so early. There still six players to be drafted before them so would they be targeting someone specific?

Christie, Tyler Smith, Bobi Klintman, Johnny Furphy are all guys who fit imo. Wouldn’t hate Harrison Ingram either.

second round picks are in some ways negotiated with the players and agents. Some are willing to take two ways and some are not. assuming the Pistons may want to sign someone to a guaranteed deal though and they may like 3-4 guys for it

I’m going to assume that Furphy will be gone by then but am completely fine with Christie, Smith or Klintman. They at least have shown that they can shoot decently from 3 and with Vinson there, they can be a 3 and D wing players.

I prefer Christie, but Smith wouldn’t be too bad either since he’s only 19.

He thought healthy Cade would be enough to get them to play-in status. He’s said that.