Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

I just don’t think it’s worth getting worked up about the partial details of a trade that may not happen

4 Likes

As a guy who works in my retail store’s frozen department, I’m almost sure that actually is a jacks pizza

1 Like

https://x.com/jledwardsiii/status/1806151220123291993?s=46&t=SywsRwjImAPP0DFzyXGjwg

3 Likes

Except for shooting is the key point. Vinson is gonna have to earn his money to get Holland and Ausar into a passable shooter

1 Like

A professional organization taking awful shooters and saying “oh yeah we got Fred Vinson… we chillin” is absolutely comical

He’s an amazing shooting coach. Not an almighty prophet that’ll turn every player into a KD-like sniper :rofl:

Seems like they’re just being honest about what Holland is bringing to the table and what the current bunch of players on the roster needs.

I think so far there’s pretty good reason to be encouraged by what it seems like Langdon is responsible for. Bringing over what seemed like a good to perhaps excellent player development silo in New Orleans would be a huge boon. A lot of orgs don’t make anywhere near this level of effort in such an obvious value building capability.

1 Like

The big key is the head coaching hire and who the HC surrounds himself with. Player development is priority #1

Sounds like TL is open to trading away their 2nd round pick for future asset. I take it as he doesn’t want to draft with their 2nd round pick and prefer to get a FSP which is fine with me. They have too many young players on the roster.

Also, we’re expecting a shakeup on the roster. My speculation is Beef is likely on the move because he’s an useful piece as a switchable big who can shoot. Not sure where TL’s head at with Ivey or Ausar. Wouldn’t entirely shock me if he moves Ausar with Holland in the fold.

My take is that if you just hired Fred Vinson you keep Ausar and see what happens because that athleticism level/IQ combo is pretty rare.

7 Likes

Is there a reason to actually think that Fred Vinson is going to make Pistons players shoot better?

I know nothing about him, but the idea that an NBA assistant coach would have that impact sounds improbable.

2 Likes

A lot of people point to

• Lonzo Ball
  • Herb Jones
  • Jose Alvardo
  • Brandon Ingram
  • Naji Marshall

as success stories for Vinson. Vinson is the shooting coach so he has the same reputation as Chip Englland.

I’m far more confident on Ivey’s shot under Vinson than I am with Ausar and Holland. Ivey has a better shooting percentage baseline than both combined.

It’s certainly his reputation, he’s exclusively a shot doctor.

It’s also Lagdon’s stated rationale for the hire.

Well yeah, Ivey is starting from a far less broken place.

I also think Ivey simply got screwed last year

3 Likes

You’re preaching to the choir. Monty screwed him big time by starting and playing Killian heavy minutes.

When Ivey does play, he puts him in the corner, which is a gross misuse of his skillset.

I consider last season a total write-off for Ivey because of how he was misused. I would like to see a competent coach figure out how to play Cade and Ivey together and stagger their minutes when one is on the bench. If it doesn’t work out, then you can trade away Ivey.

3 Likes

Looks like a lot of level jumps in true talent 3FG% to me

You’d need a control group and a lot more clarity around the treatment to really show there’s a Vinson effect but that looks fairly compelling for 2 seconds of research.

1 Like

My question around his impact would be much more about how much he contributed to those improvements (like any coach) than whether the guys he puts on his resume as his top accomplishments actually improved.

But maybe he’s that awesome. I literally didn’t know anything about him. I just have never heard the “we hired this assistant so we don’t care about shooting” angle before.

3 Likes

I get it. Langdon just hired. Has a long term vision, but that has to be coupled with putting a competitive team on the floor this season.

I don’t think they can go another season without surrounding Cade Cunningham with a competent team. 3 seasons of stunting his growth doesn’t seem wise.

You want to draft guys who can’t shoot then you need guys to play now who can complement the couple proven NBA players they do have.

Trying to rush to put out a compelling product at the expense of everything else is how you end up with another new GM.

2 Likes

I really don’t think he has an option. He has to be a good GM and put a team together. Winning 20 games is not an option

Why is winning 20 games not an option? They’ve won 20 games for 5 years straight. The roster is not good.

The idea of competing right now shouldn’t really be driving them should it?

2 Likes