Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

There aren’t too many good options in the draft iyam. You just hope that you luck into an all-star player but this draft looks to be a bunch of role players or out of the league.

The draft class is weak but, there’s gotta be at least one gem. Jokic was a 2nd round pick, and he flippin turned into a 3x MVP and 1x FMVP. Highly doubt a player of THAT caliber exists in this draft but, gotta be at least one all star level guy.

2 Likes

I’m sure that is true, but feels like whoever the all-stars are will be taken out of luck rather than some kind of elite scouting that uncovered the gems that nobody else saw. Even Denver acquired 2 players before Jokic in his draft so they got lucky too.

That’s why I’m not really going to have much of an opinion about whatever the Pistons do this year because I am not real confident there is a slam dunk pick and will mostly need to wait and see how these draft picks perform before actually having an opinion.

6 Likes

Matias’s video comparing NY and Chicago pizza moved him up my board.

Okay. Please post a link so we can silently judge you on your preferences, or perhaps also do it out loud.

The more I think about it, the more I think Beef Stew is the likeliest candidate to get traded especially if they draft or sign a big. Beef Stew shouldn’t playing PF even with his improved 3 pt shooting. He’s valuable for contenders who need a switchable backup big.

1 Like

Roast me, Hack.
https://x.com/NBADraft/status/1805589002797383818

1 Like

I’m fully out on Buzelis after that video. That “NYC” pizza looked like a jacks pizza from the freezer isle. Can’t trust his decision making.

Actually I think this is all very reasonable. It’s hard to tell by looking with New York style.

Did he mention that Chicago “pizza” isn’t pizza?

EDIT: Now I’ve seen the video. He did well.

I found it. A great pizza rant:

https://x.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1805700485925462341?s=19

If this happens they should have kept Weaver around

2 Likes

I no like. Unless they are high on O-Max (or Jaden Hardy) and can get him thrown in.

I don’t mind as long as the Mavs attach the 1st round pick to the trade.

The trade machine said it’ll work so I don’t hate it?

1 Like

Not to single you out, but I don’t understand why some people are up in arms about Grimes being included without even knowing the return. For all we know, the Mavs are asking for Grimes because the Pistons want a first and that’s the way to get it done. I’d rather give up Grimes and get a first than keep Grimes and get a pair of seconds.

3 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, the Mavs can’t trade a #1 pick because they made a trade involving a protected pick that hasn’t gone through yet.

1 Like

Once the 2024 draft ends and their 1st rd pick is conveyed to NY, the Mavs have their 2025 and 2031 1st rd picks available to trade.

I would be kind of surprised if they were willing to give up a 1st rd pick just to get off of THJ’s expiring deal since they already traded their 2027 and 2029 1st rd picks and gave up pick swaps on their 2028 and 2030 1st rd picks.

They need to clear room to try and re-sign Derrick Jones Jr. and THJ is clearly not in their plans anymore but a 1st rd pick (even possibly getting Grimes back) would be an expensive tip for taking on Hardaway for only 1 year.

4 Likes

Obviously have to wait to see the whole deal but as a one for one you’d probably rather have a younger cheap guy who might not be able to play (Grimes) than an $18 million guy who may not be able to play anymore

I’d hope there is a pick here

Peripherally, the Leon Rose Knicks haven’t gotten many evals wrong (one exception is that I like Quickley, but also would have done that trade every day of the week) so I’d be side-eyeing Grimes

1 Like

The ‘25 1st-round pick is the asset that Langdon should be targeting. If Grimes isn’t in the plans, then why not take on a bad contract with an asset attached to it?

1 Like

I know you need to wait and see but I really don’t see them getting a 1st back. Taking on bad contracts at the expense of young players is the opposite of Weaver but will get you in the same place. Nobody on the roster is blocking Grimes unless you want Sasser playing more and that’s fine.

I guess im curious what the goal is. Hardaway looks done. Tanking again to get Flagg? Young guys improve get 27-28 wins but Hardaway plays 20 mpg? There are many outcomes but tanking shouldn’t be one of them imo.