Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

The problem with a trade down is that I’m not sure what teams are at all interested in trading up!

2 Likes

I just don’t really see a trade as being very feasible this year. How many players in this draft are so coveted that teams will want to trade assets/picks to move up? Also, most of the top 5 teams would also probably like to trade down.

Like if Sarr doesn’t go #1, maybe someone wants to trade up to 2 to get him (but that doesn’t help the Pistons). Or I guess if Clingan doesn’t go #1, maybe someone wants to move to get him. I don’t see it with any other players though.

Apparently there are interests in trading up into the top 5 according to the insiders FWIW.

JEIII’s thoughts:
If Clingan, Sarr, ZR or Sheppard aren’t there at 5, they’d would like to trade down and if it does happen, Salaun is probably the target for them in a trade down.
If they can’t find a trade down partner, Buzelis, Cody Williams or Clingan are the target.

Not sure about Buzelis because he has been linked to the Pistons long before the Langdon hiring and that’s due to the Tellum agent connection. Langdon has pretty much told people that he would like to trade down for assets.

Glad Noh more or less agrees with me, I can’t be that dumb

You absolute idiot, Colin

What is the appeal of Clingan to Pistons fans

You all have spent two years telling me how awesome Duren is!

3 Likes

Rim protection is the selling point which Duren hasn’t shown on a consistent basis. That’s the rationale for Clingan which is the same for a lot of teams interested in him.

1 Like

He’s a valuable trade asset. A contending team would love to acquire a cheap backup (or starting) center that can play a specific but needed role.

Duren is only 4 months older than Clingan. Duren has a higher ceiling imo.

4 Likes

They both seem like they top out as like the 9th best center in the NBA to me. It’s not an argument to not take Clingan, I guess, but “Brook Lopez without a jumper” strikes me as having a pretty hard cap. I guess it depends on what Trajan wants from a center, and whether using this asset (the pick) is how you address it (if Duren isn’t it).

Personally, I still think they need star level talent. I know people will jump in here and talk again about how bad the draft is, but I guarantee you there is at least 2 all-star level players in this draft.

2 Likes

Brook Lopez used to be Brook Lopez without a jumper :grin:

3 Likes

He always had a jumper!

He just took it from 12-15 to the arc!

In 15/16, his highest scoring year, he took 35% of his shots between 10 feet out and the arc!

He took 1.4% of shots beyond the arc that year - the next year he took 33% of his shots beyond the arc!

Exclamation points.

1 Like

Yeah what mgl said. Brook used to have a good middie jumper and just happened to extend it at the time of the 3 pt revolution. He was asked to be a low post player first which he was good at it, but that became obsolete in the middle of his career. To his credit, he reshaped his game to better suit the modern game.

This is where I’m at with Detroit. Clingan is a nice defensive prospect, but Detroit needs star players. I’d rather roll the dice on a wing because you can get defensive centers in free agency. I’m at the point of wanting Castle, but it seems like he’ll be gone at 5.

1 Like

Another non-shooting player and Castle has been vocal on wanting to be a PG which he won’t get with Detroit. I also think he’ll be there at 5 but they won’t take him.

Cody Williams has been linked to the Pistons more since Langdon took over. That’s notable

I believe in Fred Vinson being able to unlock some shooting. I’ve also read that Castle has showed a lot in workouts. He hasn’t worked out for Detroit though, so you’re probably right that he’s not the pick either way.

Ron Holland would be my upside swing. He’s a dog defensively. And a walking paint touch. Would be a no brainer if they didn’t have Ausar and Ivey.

I’ve heard that Castle shooting was a struggle FWIW.

I still like Duren but it’s been 7 times with the same ankle I think? If Clingan’s on the board and you can get some value and trade for Duren, that works for me because there are not too many good options at 5.

1 Like