Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

The best part of being a younger generation Pistons fan is I have no deep lifelong connection to them so I get to basically be a free agent fan every season!

The All-Time Pistons lineup that I have watched:

Reggie Jackson/Brandon Jennings
KCP/Kennard
Cade/Josh Smith
Blake Griffin/Kyle Singler
Drummond/Monroe

there was an owner-involved firing

3 Likes

Not a Tobias Harris fan?

2 Likes

Langdon is having his introductory press conference tomorrow.

Expected to reach out to more assistants as well.
https://x.com/wojespn/status/1803914354674327559

Micah Nori and Sean Sweeney may be great coaches, but I’d say the fact that they coached on recent Pistons’ teams in addition to the good teams they are with now suggests that it’s really impossible to triangulate team success to coaching acumen of assistants.

The fact that their list is so heavy on “guys we know personally” suggests a process problem.

1 Like

I know. He can’t still be, although anyone signing a contract of that size should have some sort of representation. But, yeah. Didn’t like that. Some proper reporting about who exactly it is now would be good.

This is called making your bed and then having to lie in it.

I’m not defending Monty, of whom I’ve been extremely critical. He deserves to be fired.

But this smells like a Gotes decision, not a Langdon one. Langdon knew Monty from prior jobs, and hired an assistant (Vinson) who knew them both. I just don’t see a month long “evaluation process” required to pull this trigger: This seems like it wasn’t him, which speaks to process.

What also speaks to process is hiring a President of Basketball Operations who was represented by your “senior advisor” and a head coaching candidate list populated with former Piston assistants.

I am not saying that you can’t hire well by hiring people you know but “who has worked here” should not determine the pool from which you hire.

2 Likes

Not saying you’re wrong, but the beat writers said that it was a Langdon’s decision. Langdon interviewed Monty then made the decision to fire him which Gores signed off on it. It was 100% a Langdon’s decision

1 Like

Who knows with this organization? Which is, of course, the whole problem.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s what the beat writers are saying. But it speaks to the coherence of the strategy that before they hired someone they were stressing to media that that person would have full control over these decisions, and after one of those decisions was made, they made the point of letting those beat reporters know that Gores was involved in the decision.

This is not a coherent approach.

1 Like

Woj:

New Pistons president of basketball operations Trajan Langdon, who was hired a month ago, had been meeting regularly with Williams about the franchise’s future, but the decision to dismiss Williams was directed from the ownership level with Tom Gores, sources told ESPN.

This is the opposite of what the local beat writer wrote in his article:

After taking over, Langdon had sit-downs with Williams and the rest of Detroit’s staff. The question that needed to be answered: Is Williams the right person to lead the rebuild? Cracks in the partnership began to show early last season, as the Pistons were mired in an NBA single-season record 28-game losing streak that forced questions about Williams’ leadership and game management.

There was talk of giving Williams another year to figure things out, but the organization wanted to make a final decision before next week’s draft and the bulk of the team’s free agency negotiations. Talks accelerated after the Boston Celtics won the NBA Finals on Monday, and Langdon ultimately wasn’t convinced that Williams was the right coach for the next five years and felt that a young Pistons team needed a new voice.

Langdon wants to prioritize player development, as evidenced by last week’s hire of former New Orleans Pelicans assistant coach and shooting guru Fred Vinson. Williams also has a relationship with Vinson, as he was formerly on Williams’ staff in New Orleans. Williams’ exit days after Vinson’s hire illustrates the lack of confidence in Williams’ ability to manage an inexperienced roster.

I think you’re reading into it incorrectly. Langdon has the authority and Gores has to sign off on it because he’s the owner of the team since he ponied up the money to lure Monty to Detroit.

https://x.com/omarisankofa/status/1803840969105883429

If this is true, it’s an odd set of handcuffs to put Langdon in

1 Like

Yes. It also contradicts the idea that Langdon had final say? You have a choice between x and y BUT…

1 Like

….you have to make a 5 year commitment today or else

1 Like

The only person in the org that knows how to communicate is Cade Cunningham, the only person (besides Monty who gave confusing answers) with the guts to speak to the media during the long losing streak.

1 Like

Interesting thread on Giddey.

https://twitter.com/stephnoh/status/1804185622791270576?s=46&t=pI3vfmsWTFNvkSEe6OFpuA

Wonder if his game is one that jukes box score metrics somewhat. AST% and TO% are probably the things driving most of his value from those. Could be that the skills those stats proxy for are in fact super valuable tho too, I dk.

If it weren’t the Bulls and AK I’d have more optimism. Seems like the kind of guy who could have a lot more success being handed the reins to drive offense with shooters around him? Meanwhile hopefully he figures out how a jump shot works over the next 3-4 years? He’s already made a ton of progress in his FT%.