Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Why is it a rash decision when Monty isn’t fit to coach the team? Also, Langdon evaluated Monty and Monty had a chance to present his case on how to improve his team long-term. Gores could’ve prevented Langdon from firing him which would be a bigger problem.

Dwayne Casey had Cade for 12 games and won more games than Monty.

2 Likes

Hopefully Langdon can get us back to the good days when Greg Monroe and Rodney Stuckey ran the east

This is a particularly damning article:

Yeah, nothing is new to me.

JJ Redick would be a risky hire, but could be a HR hire (also would be a huge flop). It’s hard to justify a first time HC who has never coached in any level to pair with a very young roster. The flipside is JJ is a former NBA players who can relate to them which is a big part of the NBA HC job.

This is even more damming article on Monty but that’s likely leaked from someone in the FO.

Williams also seemed to not have many fans amongst the roster either. Players like Cade Cunningham could be seen visually frustrated with Williams’ decision making throughout the course of the season. In other cases, some players’ families took to social media to express their displeasure with the coaching staff, both of these occurrences were unprecedented with previous head coach, Dwane Casey.

We can surmise from the latter quote is from Jaden Ivey because his dad was blasting Monty on twitter lol

1 Like

There’s no quote

And publicly verifiable (as in posted on Twitter) that Ivey’s dad was upset.

So I don’t thin Ivey “leaked” anything?

Me when Jimbo Fisher

There is no quote. The quote is referring to the blockquote from my post. In this post, in the blockquote is in reference to Ivey.

After the Juwan experience with the media this does seem like a red flag

1 Like

Isn’t his dad Javin Hunter who played WR at ND?

Unfortunately they seem interested in putting out the notion that it was Gores that made the final decision. The Edwards tweet up thread, and another one I think from woj. The front office has never had a clear chain of command under Gores, and that’s the thing I’m looking for as well. In particular last year it seemed to be a nepotism factory for Tellem. They just don’t seem to want to make it absolutely clear that Langdon has the authority, if he actually does.

2 Likes

Agree about the media. Not about scorched Earth though. I would have loved to see them just clear out absolutely everyone and anyone who had a role in the FO, starting with Tellem’s kid. They didn’t do that. Nepotism still a risk.

Someone mentioned that if he did do a presser it would just be questions about Weaver and Monty’s future so he might as well just wait til he figured that out.

JE3 thinks there will be a presser at the end of this week.

This is my assumption. The whole press conference would be declining to comment on things. How can you present your vision of how you’re going to shape the team if you won’t commit to what you’re doing with the coach? And how weird would it be if Monty wasn’t at the press conference? And if he was there, how awkward would it be to sit there while people ask about your job security to your new boss? They needed that situation resolved before putting the new guy in front of the press.

2 Likes

Yeah, I would have to imagine that the presser will happen once they get the new head coach so they can introduce both properly to the media and the fans. In that case, I understand why there is no presser to introduce Langdon and Blackstone despite the confirmation that they are an official employee for the Pistons.

There are limits to any GMs authority when it comes to spending the owner’s money. Langdon can have the authority to choose the next coach. That doesn’t mean he has a blank check to spend on his choice. Gores very likely has set a budget and will want to approve any contract going over ir.

Look up who Langdon’s agent was

2 Likes

https://x.com/omarisankofa/status/1803840697935479188

that is interesting but, as mgl said, firing the previous coach is often the life raft a struggling gm has. it’s definitely a bit odd to be told sure, you can keep this coach…as long as you agree to never* fire him. of course you’d fire him right away then! this feels like “my ‘this decision was not made above langdon’s head’ t shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by the shirt”

*based on GMs not getting 5 years unless they’re pretty successful

1 Like

“there was momentum” is such an evasive use of the passive voice

3 Likes