Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Literally anyone. Monty was a huge negative last season and did not maximize the roster. He checked out the moment preseason started. Firing Monty would tell me that the Pistons are serious about fixing the franchise. Keeping him would be the status quo.

4 Likes

So Darvin Ham? JB Bickerstaff? Juwan? Frank Vogel? Kevin Ollie? Micah Nori? Chris Quinn?

How many wins would have maximized the roster? They had over 30 different players.

1 Like

He literally started and played Killian Hayes who isnā€™t an NBA player for 25-30 minutes to begin the season the front office had to do an intervention to play Ivey more. Thatā€™s one notable example.

Another is playing Wiseman over Muscula. Muscula isnā€™t great but the offense was noticeably better when he was on the floor as a 5. Once Duren is healthy, Mascula never saw time on the floor that he was cut so he can find a team to play for.

There are countless examples of Monty not maximizing roster. Dwayne Casey wouldā€™ve gotten them at least 25 wins and I donā€™t like Casey as a coach.

2 Likes

Muscala wanted to go to OKC. That part is untrueā€¦ As for the rest, my theory is that Monty played the worst players on the roster to force Troy to upgrade (Hayes, Livers)

Iā€™m ambivalent on Monty. Iā€™ll reserve judgement on him til he has a roster capable of doing somethingā€¦ But I wonā€™t shed tears if heā€™s fired. I just think the calls that he HAS to be fired when youā€™re already behind in the hiring cycle is just a reactionary sports talk call-in level take.

1 Like

Monty literally didnā€™t want to coach this season until Gores gave him the contract he couldnā€™t refuse. Muscala was fine with playing for the Pistons until he got benched for no reason.

Calling for Monty to get fired isnā€™t a reactionary sports talk call in level take. He was awful period.

My top coaching candidate is Kenny Atkinson. He can coach and develop. KD and Kyrie shouldnā€™t have pushed him out of Brooklyn because Kenny had a good thing going at Brooklyn with a bunch of young players. He would be perfect for the Pistons.

4 Likes

Muscala didnā€™t get benched. They sat him because he was going to be bought out.

The insiders said Muscala was fine with playing with the Pistons and was happy to be there but Monty told him that he wouldnā€™t be playing in favor of Wiseman so the front office offered a buyout so he would sign with OKC.

If Monty was a huge negative as you say shouldnt they keep Weaver around???

Really donā€™t understand how Monty could have been so flagrantly awful. Seems like he has sabotaged his future. Maybe he was done anyway and just decided to take the handout.

1 Like

Why would it be one or the other? Weaver did a terrible job of assembling a competent roster and Monty did a terrible job of doing the most basic things to attempt to make the team competitive. Pistons lost more games this year than last year despite getting second year Ivey and Duren and significantly more games out of Cade. They should clean house and Langdon should get his guys in there.

8 Likes

Weaver was also awful, so no. Both were terrible. Thatā€™s why the franchise is the worst in the NBA.

2 Likes

Weaver was one of the worst lead executives in the league, never even attempted to assemble a coherent roster, this was obvious two years ago.

I donā€™t think Monty is a bad coach - heā€™s succeeded enough to be incompetent but MAN last year tested whether heā€™s even awake in this job.

Weaver failed consistently to build a coherent roster

Monty repeatedly made playing time decisions that deepens that incoherence

1 Like

Iā€™ve been calling for both Monty and Weaver to get fired. Both have been bad at their job.

1 Like

Succeeding enough to be incompetent is not a ringing endorsement.

My 2Ā¢ they need a new coach as well as Weaver departing.

1 Like

He didnā€™t want to coach and Gores gave him the contract offer that he couldnā€™t refuse. Monty checked out and lost his locker room early on IMO.

Idek what to think of Monty anymore. A small part of me thinks he used garbage rotations intentionally to tank but, that seems very unlikely. If he did, the reward was #5 in a meh draft (Amazing reward btw, totally not being sarcastic)

2 Likes

The only positive thing I can say about Weaver is that he at least didnā€™t the the team into any bad contracts. The cap sheet is clean for Langdon to take over and do what he wants. Thatā€™s not saying much, but when a GM is in win-or-lose-your-job mode, they can make some really bad short term contract decisions trying to get some extra wins.

2 Likes

Who are the insiders? A lot of Pistons fans are often upset that our beat writers hardly ever have a scoop on anything. JE IIIā€™s ā€œscoopsā€ always seem to come in partnership (or through) Shams.