Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

It’s for the best for both parties. Blake can play with a contending team and the Pistons can play their young guys for development.

1 Like

What contending team is going to play Blake Griffin? He was damaging to the worst team in the league. It’s really too bad for him that he bought the “well you can’t make the injury worse” line when he came back against the Cavs for the playoffs.

I mean I would think a lot of contending teams might show interest now that he’s likely to take a cheaper short term deal. It’s not like any of those teams are going to want him to come in and be the first or second option.

I am taking Brooklyn nets as my 2nd team … if it is relevant to where Blake Griffin ends this season with. It is probably an easy pick for both side.

Is it? What’s he gonna do there?

@Superfan16, he was failing at being a bench option in Detroit. I’m not trashing the guy - his body is destroyed, but I don’t think he’s a rotation caliber player in the playoffs.

GSW, Brooklyn, Miami and Portland are all teams interested in Blake according to Woj so there are plenty of interest in Blake because he’ll be cheap and won’t have to be their top 2-3 option for the team.

He’ll play small ball 5.

Wouldn’t that be the worst defensive lineup in history?

Kyrie, Harden, Durant, Harris, Griffin? Yikes!

Someone will pick him up, I agree with you. I don’t think he will be any use.

Like a bunch of vets, he’ll accept an appropriate role at an appropriate paycheck with a contender. He won’t accept either at a bottom feeder.

still better D than Iowa

Playing 10 minutes backing up Giannis in Milwaukee makes the most sense to me. He can shoot, pass and post up. But I don’t see him being able to play playoff defense unless the extended days off make a big difference.

SVG might be a good coach but he failed the Pistons as a GM

1 Like

It’s the moves you make trying to save your job that really kick a franchise in the clock weights (see Dumars, Joe, et al)

3 Likes

(Also, see Van Gundy, Stan)

2 Likes

Still can’t believe Gores let SVG trade for Griffin if it was a possibility he would be fired that same offseason. Incredible lame duck failure

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure the trade was a Gores / Ballmer production. There is only one guy to blame for the state of the Pistons. Tom Gores. He has been a disaster.

6 Likes

He could have foreseen that a corporate raider would be a poor sports owner

Gores and Gilbert were part of a bid for bringing an MLS bid to Detroit. But it was clearly almost all about Gilbert wanting to get the Wayne Country prison property. Would have been a disaster of a team.

So what’s the view this year? My 10,000 foot view is that they’re probably a top half defensive team. Casey generally can squeeze good defense out of limited rosters. They were 16th of 30 last year, I think Cade will be a generally positive contributor, and I think it’s likely Stewart is an upgrade on Plumlee here.

I think offense (26th last year) is still going to be a massive issue. For starters, while Cunningham will probably take some pressure off the spot, it’s probably the worst PG situation, from the offensive side, in the league. They also don’t have that much shooting. Grant is average for his slot, the only guys who figure to be positive shooters for their spot are Olynyk and Bey (tbd on Cunningham - I’m bullish on him generally, but we saw him struggle to shoot great as the guy in a mediocre situation last year). Stewart is obviously the long term plan, but I don’t know if he’s a better offensive player than Plumlee (or Olynyk) at this exact point in time (but giving him minutes makes sense).

All in all I don’t foresee a big leap in record. I think they’re probably a little better, may flirt with 30 wins?

3 Likes