Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

I believe Mgl is a bulls fan

I am

But 8 years living in Michigan make me a Pistons well-wisher

And now I have morbid curiosity

Sticking him on the corner isnā€™t the best usage of Ivey? Iā€™M SHOCKED!

https://x.com/wojespn/status/1746553761655583201?s=46&t=SywsRwjImAPP0DFzyXGjwg

1 Like

That will fix it

So pumped.

At least Gallinari and Muscala have expiring contracts.

Around 85 mil this offseason for Weaver to improve the team.

1 Like

I think this is a pretty unremarkable deal. Theyā€™re dealing 2 guys who donā€™t/canā€™t play for two guys who donā€™t/canā€™t play.

The upside is that they save the $12mil from Bagleyā€™s final year in exchange for two second picks.

Now, the question is, will gong from $84 million in space to $96 million in space (Bogieā€™s contract isnā€™t guaranteed, so these numbers are based on them not doing so, who knows) matter too much

At the end of the day, the deal means little, I just think that assuming there are nearly $100 mil of realistic FA deals worth signing for Detroit is probably not true. But who knows. The cost is low, it all sort of depends on what they can do in Free Agency (a good thing to remember is that really good players essentially never hit FA anymore - last years best free agent was Fred VanVleet).

The other upside is that this is (probably) the last time you guys need to read me write about Bagley.

4 Likes

Cap space is helpful for more than just FA signings

Just for funs

Here is a list of ā€œfree agentsā€

Itā€™s kind of flawed because, for instance, Maxey (#1) is getting extended, George is either getting extended or picking up that option, Holliday ditto, etc etc

The guys here who I think could be actually gettable (for someone, not necessarily the Pistons) are Siakam, DeRozan, Claxton, DLo, Monk, Miles Bridges, Dinwiddie

Yes if you have assets to trade

They could do the ā€œgive me your Russell Westbrook contract and two firstsā€ gambit I guess

Cap space can be used more creatively than that. It is itself an asset. You can use it to take on bad contracts with assets attached. Now thatā€™s something youā€™d rather have at the start of a rebuild and not 3 years into it lol. But still in general better to have a bad team with cap space then a bad team without it

3 Likes

Yes clearly

Iā€™m just trying to think of the albatross contracts out there and whether those teams would be trading future picks to get off them - and most of those are already being absorbed by bad teams?

Ayton is getting absorbed by a bad team who wonā€™t be trading picks

Jerami Grant is on the same team

Simmons on a mediocre team but one likely not trading assets to accept, but maybe

Fournier has a club option next year so thatā€™s moot

Harris is a free agent so thatā€™s moot

Lowry is a free agent

I donā€™t see the Hornets dealing picks to offload Haywood

Not exhaustive but you get my point

Maybe the ā€œfunctional but overpaidā€ route (DeAndre Hunter, Zach Lavine, Markelle Fultz all on teams whoā€™d like to compete, Hawks want to ditch Murray)

As I said, it could work out! I guess your take on that is pretty close to your faith level in Weaver/Tellum.

On another note, Livers is reunited with JP

4 Likes

Should also say the only 2025 pick they have to surrender is their own - so likely 1 pick out of the first round

Do we trust Weaver to know what to do with that money?

Heā€™s had some decent draft picks, heā€™s had a mixed bag in the trade market, with no Home Runs, and the only good FA signing I can think of was Jerami Grant.

Paying coming and going with Bagley, a guy nobody else wanted, is truly a masterclass in how to run a team.

1 Like

you might have to when Bagley goes 20 and 15 for the Wizards :rofl:

Weaver needs to be gone before he gets a chance to damage the roster.

Pistons win by 15 and win the trade.

1 Like

Undefeated on the season when Cade, Bojan, Livers, Bags, and Morris donā€™t play!

2 Likes