Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Bill had a good but not hugely successful coaching record in the WNBA–a .587 winning percentage. And I suspect that there are reasons Bill hasn’t gotten a NBA offer.

1 Like

Monty deserves a chance to get some of his guys in. Dwayne Casey was able to mix in a few of his guys (Delon Wright, Cory Joseph) and while they were hated by Pistons fans who thought they were stunting the development of the young players, we’re seeing the value of mid-career vets that you can rely on.

Like Bogie and Burks and Harris and Bagley say

2 Likes

For those with A subscription to The Athletic, this can get your blood boiling a bit on a Saturday night

Incentivizing Weaver to make short term moves to salvage like an 18 win season seems like a horrible idea

He believes the notion of selling the team is “ridiculous” but is troubled and concerned by the 2-26 record. Gores wouldn’t say it outright, but Weaver appears on the clock to turn this around in a very short amount of time.

2 Likes

How does it feel when fans are chanting, “Sell the team!”?

They can say what they want, but that’s ridiculous. Other than winning — and we should win more games — we do a lot in the community. Players, the organization, we do a lot in the community. If you put aside winning, we’ve made a very big difference in the community.

the idea that philanthropic impact differs enough between owners to be a differentiator is laughable. every one of these owners does exactly the same thing: start a foundation, donate to enough local charities that you can say you’re involved in the community, send your players to 2-3 well-publicized events. that is not something to fall back on in place of winning games; it’s table stakes for every single owner. winning games is literally the only impact you have. you’re not a pillar of the community, you’re not irreplaceable, you’re not someone people will ever care about more than even the 13th man on the roster. what a thin-skinned loser, if this is his response to being very mildly criticized by fans.

5 Likes

Sure was great to read that he’s talking to Monty about rotations. Everything’s going to be better soon

1 Like

Bogie, Burks and Harris are not mid-career vets. And Bagley is only 24. And Monty has never coached them anyway.

You are creating a very specific definition if you’re trying to put Delon Wright and Cory Joseph in a different category than Bogdanovic, Burks and Harris. All 3 have had better careers than the former 2, but you’re trying to act like Casey had a much better situation to work with than Monty.

Who falls into this box of mid-career vets that are Monty’s guys that the Pistons can (should?) also acquire?

I miss the old days. Leaving elementary school and going to watch Josh Smith and Brandon Jennings combine for 50 and lose a heartbreak en route to just missing the playoffs. Bring back the glory days!!

2 Likes

If they get Jock Londale it’ll turn it all around

Is the argument that like five to six years into a rebuild if they had Cam Payne they could win 17 games again?

1 Like

Delon Wright and Cory Joseph were brought in because they played for Casey in Toronto? So they could help the young players. And they were under 30.

Monty’s been coaching for a long time. I’m sure there are Torrey Craig/Jevon Carter types he trusts.

(No need to respond, I’m stepping away from this thread.)

Stackhouse had some games in 2000 that remind me of this.

1 Like

All that split action out off of Vuc in the high post is good tho! They’ve really changed post-Lavine injury. Steph has posted a bunch of stuff on Twitter about it anyway, maybe it’s not as much of the O as I’d guess reading the internets.

Some Steph posts for the kids

https://twitter.com/stephnoh/status/1737647669953351988?s=46&t=pI3vfmsWTFNvkSEe6OFpuA

https://twitter.com/stephnoh/status/1735474727089488288?s=46&t=pI3vfmsWTFNvkSEe6OFpuA

https://twitter.com/stephnoh/status/1735471581718024463?s=46&t=pI3vfmsWTFNvkSEe6OFpuA

https://twitter.com/stephnoh/status/1733560326606487642?s=46&t=pI3vfmsWTFNvkSEe6OFpuA

That’s Gerald Henderson II.

His dad was on the 1990 Pistons :trophy: and won two other titles with the Celtics.

1 Like

al harrington
al jefferson
gerald henderson
gerald green

are among the countless players i thought were the same guy when i was only bringing in this information via watching sportscenter in the morning as a teenager

4 Likes

Greatest windmill dunk of all-time right there

1 Like

Going .587 over a 17-year stretch with three different franchises (and winning three championships) is very, very good.

It’s been said that he burned too many bridges to get hired by an NBA team, but he was an assistant with the T’Wolves, and I don’t see why the Pistons would have an issue with him.

I think it’d be entertaining to have him on the sidelines, at least.

1 Like

we can argue semantics, but “hugely successful” is an overstatement.

Tie game 7:00 min left!