Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

It’s not even halfway through the season and I’m already done with Monty. I wouldn’t mind if Gores just clean house after this season.

Raise your hand if you ever heard of Bismack Biyombo! :joy:

I’m feeling the same way…yet that’s essentially impossible when you pay a coach the highest salary in the history of the NBA. The Pistons weren’t going to be “good” this year, but everyone should be ashamed (especially Monty) of their performance so far.

1 Like

I thought the Pistons line of 27 wins was well set, and I was on the pessimistic side here understandably…and 27 wins is a long way off. There isn’t a reason this team has to be this bad, many of those reasons have to do with Monty’s rotation. Like fine, you’re playing Hayes for defense, but who was guarding Desmond Bane as he scored 40+? As the Pistons continue to lose to the other contenders for worst team in the league (when do they get the Spurs?) it sort of sinks in that yes, the roster is terrible, but also is being used terribly.

To be fair, if I had that much guaranteed money that I grudgingly took after turning down the initial offer, I’d be angling to get fired ASAP as well.

1 Like

You could reasonably argue that Gores is the team’s biggest problem.

4 Likes

In all reality, aside from Gores, the situation as it stands is that Monty has more power and insulation from penalty than anyone in the organization. In his situation, why on earth would you listen to Troy Weaver? The org has way more money committed to you, over a much longer period of time, and you were hired despite Weaver’s preference (Kevin Ollie).

1 Like

Well, the Athletic writer was critical of Monty in a recent post asking how you can ever put out a lineup that doesn’t have some combination of Cade, Ivey, or Bogey and thinks that tightening the rotation and giving more minutes to Ivey is warranted. For what that analysis is worth…

Even if Monty is only part of the issue and totally insulated because of his contract - his reputation is going to come under fire in league circles when he is taking the same roster from last year that now has a healthy Cade, a year of experience for Duren/Ivey, and another top-5 pick from this year and making a run at the all-time record for consecutive losses and perhaps the worst record of all time. You can play the “need to develop these guys” card for a while, but they have to show progress unless the organization is actively trying to blow it up again - but that only works if you can trade these players for assets instead of tanking their value.

1 Like

my feeling is once you’ve lost james edwards, you’ve lost everybody. that guy seems to see the sunny side of everything, and i say this as someone who’s regularly in the game threads here saying stuff like “well i’m glad everyone got to have fun exercising with their friends!”

4 Likes

yeah, Edwards is a Weaver dead-ender who spent most of the first month of the season scolding Pistons fans for being impatient and unable to deal with a rebuild. So if he’s teetering to negative, can’t imagine who is left

2 Likes

The SMACK? Man, I wanted the Pistons to draft him. I thought he was Ben Wallace-like as a prospect. It turned out he was…but it was Ben Wallace when he was with the Wizards.

I’m sure Keith Langlois is still writing sunny side stuff, but he’s paid by the Pistons. Not really a beat writer.

1 Like

See, the Bulls are so toxic that the team-friendly beat writer from the trib they hired to write at bulls.com is mildly calling for Reinsdorf to sell

Just putting it somewhere

The in season tournament rules

All 5 elimination games awesome so far

5 Likes

Need to extend the time between rounds next season. Final should be in the second half of the season.

Or if it’s going to be just a one month thing, should be closer around the midway point of the season.

1 Like

Yeah I have enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. Cool to see these guys really care about games in the middle of the season

1 Like

It made no sense to me why they had a semifinal at 5pm eastern on a non-holiday Thursday.

I beleive the rationale was that they wanted to sell tickets to the two games seperately, not a session ticket, so they needed 2 hours to clear the arena and then allow the 2nd crowd to arrive, so if they pushed the start of game 1 back your time zone situation gets worse.

They also really screwed the Bucks on the scheduling, but w/e

Magic are totally outclassing the Pistons tonight. Banchero and Franz getting anything they want.

Jett even got to play