Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

They allowed 1.12 ppp despite playing an absurdly defensive focused lineup

Their defense is not good despite playing at least two defense only players huge minutes

At some point someone will learn that the Pistons as a team do not play good defense, even when Hayes is on the floor.

I am not saying he is a poor defender. I am saying he is not good enough to prevent them from being poor.

2 Likes

Pistons have been playing good defense up until tonight and even then… tonight’s poor performance was pretty much entirely a ref show (33 FTAs for Portland), plus replacing their defensive anchor with Marvin Bagley and Wiseman

Of course, Killian is just kind of a useless player. He is not going to be in the rotation when the Pistons start getting their other guards/wings back. Feels like he’s popped in their partially to “keep roles the same” for guys like Ivey and Burks. Don’t necessarily agree with it, but that seems to be the logic.

1 Like

Not having Duren tonight certainly hurt. And not having Burks, who was key in both our wins, also hurt.

When are Morris and Bogdanovic supposed to come back?

Late-November/Early-December.

They’re 20th in ppp, so they haven’t been (also 20th in offense)

Per BbRef, after their poor performance last night, they are 11th in DRating and 17th in O. Not sure where you are getting your numbers from

19th in adjusted defensive rating. And 20th in adjusted offensive rating. So they were likely benefiting a little from the schedule. I’m waiting for at least 8 games to see where there at statistically for the first 10% of the season.

Yeah this is what I pulled. I guess I miscounted defense.

Both Duren and Burks are listed as questionable for tonight’s game at New Orleans. The Pelicans were missing Brandon Ingram last night but still beat OKC on the road.

This could be a rough one.

The sooner Monty can see that Hayes is a huge negative for the team, the better it’ll be for the Pistons. He’s just awful and his defense isn’t all that good either. Worst starter in the league by a wide margin IMO.

https://x.com/DuncanSmithNBA/status/1720103769235505638?s=20

The line earlier in the day was Detroit +7.5 and has moved to +5.5 now. Guessing that means at least one of those two is playing. Or potentially Killian is out which would also swing the line in favor of Detroit.

Edit: As I was typing this, the line shifted to +3.5. Definitely looks like Duren and Burks are back and maybe Ingram is still out.

1 Like

Pels are generally good when Zion plays, regardless of who else is out there

Ausar is putting the clamps on Zion.

The game starts in 42 minutes???

Zion and Ingram are both out. That’s the reason for the line shift

Oh

Well

Then this Pels team stinks, they’re missing 5 of their 6 best players?

Zion is scared

Feel like Thompson taking 10 shots in the first quarter is not indicative of the Pistons getting “what they want” (he’s 2/10)

1 Like

Yeah…not great. They are 5-8 from three if you ignore Thompsons glaring 0-5.