Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

What was Sasser like at Houston? Could he run an offense? Not at a starting NBA PG level but can he at least be a secondary ball handler off the bench? He was quite the checker last night.

I was reading the Athleticā€™s article about asking coaches who are the best defensive players in the league. The up and coming defender section, Jalen Duren and Jaden Ivey got mentioned by the coaches(or was it just one coach?). Itā€™s very interesting to see the contrast between this article and the message Monty is sending to Jaden.

He was the engine that drives the offense at Houston, but he is their alpha meaning he is high usage since they need him to shoot to have a successful offense. Sasser can shoot in both standstill and off the dribble. Heā€™ll need to adjust to defer more, but Iā€™m sure thatā€™s what Monty is trying to do with him.

Bey was a negative shooter who tried to do too much and he is a minus on defense. The trade forced Bey to be a shooter at Atlanta. He wouldnā€™t have done it in Detroit plus he was asking for big money in the neighborhood of 25 mil per.

3 Likes

Whoa slow down re Ivey. Heā€™s a kid that needs to grow up; Montyā€™s going to start him when the defensive effort comes around. As everyone knows it must.

I didnā€™t see him pouting, other than some ā€œhands upā€ motions at the refs after not getting a call.

I think coming off the bench can work, but Ivey had such great chemistry with Duren and itā€™s certainly not there yet with any of his benchmates.

Game 1, though. Weā€™ll see how things develop.

1 Like

The effort has been there through the preseason and one game. Iā€™m not sure his instincts are on par, though.

1 Like

IMO, the primary reason is that once Weaver locks in on someone, he refuses to change his mind (see Bagley as well). I think he fully believed that Wiseman would be a stud in Detroit. Bey isnā€™t a huge loss if Wiseman hits, but heā€™s not going to hit.

1 Like

Ivey progressed last year and was probably the teams best player down the stretch. During the stretch he basically played point/lead guard and was actually doing a good job with setting up his teammates. I feel the pistons have to let him play that role as a bench player if he is not going to start. I do not like his game sitting in the corner waiting for someone to make a play or pass it to him.

I know Cade is the man on the team with the Pistons but they need to cultivate making Ivey a dangerous player to play against and I do not see that happening under the current setup. And I do realize defense is an area he needs to step up in.

Ivey will be packaged in a deal in the offseason when they sign Booker after the Suns implode.

Cade
Booker
Ausar
Stew
Duren

Lets ride

2 Likes

You still have 1 (one) three point shooter

So yeah probably

Pistons up 8 early great defense. Ivey just checked in canā€™t ask for a better situation for him.

Ivey is getting cooked by LaMelo. I can see why Monty gets frustrated. Ivey did hit a 3

1 Like

Ivey with a steal and layup

Not considering Cade a shooter now that heā€™s healthy seems harsh

It was Booker

Heā€™s a tick below 35% and volume not that high

His work is mid range

Heā€™s not a BAD three point shooter at this point but itā€™s like the third best thing he does offensively

I also think they are very similar type players (Cade and Booker)

Killian did the Pistons and got the two foul autobench

He shot 37% on 8 attempts per game last year

I get youā€™re mad they donā€™t seem intent on surrounding Cade with shooting. But if a hypothetical Devin Booker addition that most definitely wonā€™t happen isnā€™t viewed as quality shooter in your mind, then weā€™re just doomposting haha

3 Likes

Side note - they seem to have adjusted the rotation even with Killian starting to get shooting on the floor quickerā€¦Burks in early. And it worked!

Look, obviously this hypothetical with will absolutely not happen in a million years would obviously make them good.

But Iā€™m going to get my jokes off about Weaverā€™s loathing for shooters and Montyā€™s fetish for mid range jumpers

1 Like