Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

That’s not the reasons he gave:

After the NBA Bubble and vocal calls to make real movement among basketball players in social justice, Grant decided he want to play for a Black coach, a Black general manager, in the most Black city in America as he gets more involved in the movement for social justice in the US.

3 Likes

As long as they don’t have to add assets to trade Blake, I’m cool with that.

1 Like

That’s partly lip service. The real reason is to be #1 option. He’ll never get that opportunity in Denver with Joker and Murray around. Let’s be real. Jerami Grant bet on himself and it’s paying off so far in which he might cash in the next contract with a bigger payday than he would’ve gotten if he had stayed in Denver.

2 Likes

I kinda want Blake to stay because he helps the tank in a way. Pistons are better off with out Rose and Blake and that worries me for the draft slot

Lots of unwanted assets getting moved…

1 Like

Don’t see any solution to Blake other than a buyout. No team is going to take him unless the Pistons either take a bad contract or two in return or the Pistons include assets like Sekou or draft picks. I don’t think the Pistons would be willing to do either.

I don’t know the ins and outs of the NBA’s salary cap and how it works. But I assume the Pistons will buy him out and have to accept a cap hit for next season.

2 Likes

It’s still weird to me that a guy averaging 17.5 ppg and 13.5 rpg has basically no value.

5 Likes

Ya I believe that if they buy him out, they have to pick up his player option for next year. However, Blake is likely to give some money back (say 15 mil), to lessen the buyout load

I’ll take Jerami Grant at his (reported) word for what played a big factor in coming here.

1 Like

I don’t know, exactly what they have done with Griffin since your comment???

Players and coaches don’t tank… front offices can tho

Can’t say I had this one predicted:

5 Likes

Woj and Sham pretty much said being the #1 option is a big reason why Jerami decided to sign with the Pistons during the FA period and I’m much more inclined to believe them because they have inside access over a fluff interview with Jerami who pays a lip service for the local outlet.

Yup, that’s why Weaver has to make moves in order to stop them from winning too many games.

He talked about it on Zach Lowe’s podcast too. The original article…

1 Like

So much fluff…

The Wiz won tonight so the Pistons have the 2nd worst record in the NBA. Moe played pretty well in the 4th, by the way. 7 points and 2 steals while I was watching.

1 Like

There’s Jerami Grant, the player, who since high school has toiled in the shadows of others and was seeking a larger role. There’s Jerami Grant, the NBA player, who chose development over instant gratification. Grant left a Denver Nuggets team that offered him title contention and a defined role. Comfort. Detroit offered him a chance to spread his wings, to prove that he can do more than his previous bosses allowed. Growth.

The article literally said he was seeking a larger role in which he got in Detroit. He wouldn’t have been the #1 option and play as an all-star caliber player if he had stayed in Denver.

Which one do you prefer? Stay in Denver and be the #3 option or sign with Detroit and be the #1 option? Not a hard choice to make for Jerami. He bet on himself and it’s paying off so far. The rest plays a bit of a factor but not as large as being the #1 option on the team which is my argument.

The Pistons will never be the destination for star FAs unless they have to overpay them to get them which is why the only viable path for the Pistons is thru the draft to get elite talents. The Pistons can’t win too many games to fall out of top 3 contention for the draft. It’d be bad for them long term if they land outside of top 5 in which it would be a wasted season IMO.

2 Likes

I’d add Denver. Every year I like what they do. The Nets were solid for how little they had to work with there for years.

I’ve dug the Blazers drafts lately too. I think Little, Trent jr, and Simons will all look very good for Value in 3-4 years.

1 Like