Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Couple times he looked like he was playing on a nerf hoop.

1 Like

He is very Webber-esque.

2 Likes

I love Ausar’s game

Still feelin it!

2 Likes

“I’ve never seen a team shoot their way to the top,” Weaver said in June. “It starts with defense. I said it when I arrived, and I’ll say it until my last days."

can someone explain to me how this is a less bananas take than it seems in 2023?

1 Like

Nope

The Nuggets were the best shooting team in the NBA. The year prior, the two participants were both top 5 in shooting

Nuggets were 15th in defense

But of course the pistons were 26th in defense

So

2 Likes

Defense wins championships.

I got that same fortune cookie!

4 Likes

Defense won championships.

Defense can contribute to winning championships!

4 Likes

If I am not being snarky

Most teams they win a title are top ten in offense and defense

Last years Nuggets being an exception

So anyone selling one or the other is probably either a moron or trying to make a rhetorical point about something and exaggerating

And before you do it, romeo, you teetering little gremlin, don’t you dare say “2004 pistons”

3 Likes

Another great basketball maxim is that “Defense often travels at a rate historically greater than that of offense although this may be less true than before”

4 Likes

Lol. Well……

1 Like

Vegas O/U is 28.5 (last year was 29.5).

Dunc’d on guys said “still too many bigs, too many young guys not ready to win, and an incentive to tank”, both went under.

The DID say that this was an over they wanted to happen more than most because it would mean Cade was just unstoppable.

1 Like

Agree with the first two comments, but I’m not sure they have as much incentive to tank anymore. Eventually they need to start moving forward. They’ll have 7-8 draft picks from the last 4 years in their main rotation so they have plenty of youth. Yes, they need more talent, but the key is going to be for Cade and/or Ivey to become stars and then fill in some established players to improve the team.

Not saying the Pistons won’t be bad or won’t have a high draft pick, but I don’t think they have an incentive to purposely lose. If they lose, it will happen organically and not through incentive.

I think the argument is more, like, come the trade deadline they’re 8-9 games out of the play-in, they’re going to steer the car into the ditch, not that they’re tanking from the jump. A modified Mavericks, if you will

I think the Pistons will be vastly better team. But they could then trade some quality players at the deadline and not be as good the second half of the year. Definitely an over/under you want to stay away from.

Their calculation is that they will be better, but not close to enough to contend to the play-in, and will start losing intentionally in the back third.

What’s the idea about how this team loses intentionally? Just trade Bojan? Otherwise, regardless of how far they are out of the play-in race, they aren’t going to stop playing Cade, Ivey, Ausar, Duren. They will want to keep developing those guys. And if they lose because they just aren’t good enough, I wouldn’t call that losing intentionally.

With Monty as the coach, I think they will keep their vets (Bojan, Monte, Joe Harris, Alec Burks) around so the youngins have a stable environment to grow in. And then reassess at the trade deadline.