Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

If you jump about 40 seconds in, the highlights start.

3 Likes

Saddiq Bey that is all.

1 Like

What a game!

If you look across the range of players understood to be superstars today you’ll find that few of them were identifiable as such in college or on signing. Potential superstars maybe, but it’s still–always will be–a matter of identifying emerging talent and building relationships/complementary players around them. The idea that you just need to go and get a superstar. . . I’m not sure it’s that simple, especially for mid-market teams. Take Milwaukee, for example. Seems to me that it’s all about identifying those diamonds that are just starting to gleam.

It looks like the Pistons did a great job in the draft !

2 Likes

I liked Luke Kennard a lot (even though he spurned Michigan) but that trade for Bey looks like a big win right now. He’s a two-way player who can cover 2-4, if needed, and can shoot it.

I’m pretty amazed that the Clippers gave Luke such a big contract-extension so quickly. I’m still not sure he’s fully back from last year’s injuries.

2 Likes

My only qualm is Hayes whom I wasn’t high on pre-draft due to athleticism and his creativity with the ball i his hands.

The draft is pretty weak overall but you shouldn’t be expected to find superstar in that draft. However, if you can find good solid role players to compliment your star players, it’s a win. The Pistons appear to have both in Bey and Stewart. Jury is out on Hayes and his injury won’t help his progress as a rookie.

1 Like

Haliburton is doing his best to make Detroit regret going with Hayes.

Didn’t Haliburton intentionally tank his draft stock so he can go to the Kings?

That would be really weird. I hadn’t heard that. I doubt stauskas would have suggested it.

1 Like

Stauskas would have told him “stay away from Boogie…literally any team that he is not on is ok”.

2 Likes

Or just stay away from Sacramento period… This draft history is well… underwhelming.

They did like themselves some Kansas basketball with McLemore and Thomas Robinson. That being said DeAaron Fox is awesome love to watch him play. For such a horrible drafting team they did hit on one guy.

They have the pistons problem of being good enough to sneak in or miss the playoffs (while eastern conference teams have worse records) but not being so bad they get a top 3 pick. I’m not sure there are many “good” drafting teams. Just teams that picked super high or made 1-2 good selections in the mid rounds.

What teams would you consider good at drafting? (Sincere question, no snark as I haven’t looked into it).

1 Like

Miami, Toronto, San Antonio, Memphis

2 Likes

I doubt somebody would target the Kings as the place to go. They made the playoffs the year after they traded Chris Webber and haven’t been back since.

Golden State too, at least good enough for 3 titles.

1 Like

The trick is to acquire draft capital. This gives you more chances to hit on drafts or the ability to use the capital to garner better picks. Every draft there will be a Kwai Leonard and Donovan Mitchell who many teams passed on who will become players. The Piston hope Saddiq Bey is one of them as his measurables and athleticism is there.

1 Like

Kings haven’t made the playoffs in 15 years

1 Like

https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article247300064.html

He didn’t confirm nor deny about tanking his stock so he can get to the Kings.

I suppose the transition from Ames, Iowa to Sacramento would be easy.

2 Likes