Detroit Pistons & NBA Talk

Ya the Athletic does great work, including Edwards

Yup, I project Hayes as a quality backup PG long term because he can shoot. I think Weaver was sorely disappointed that he wasnā€™t able to get Patrick Williams. Patrick Williams look to be for real and is a 3 and D wing who can switch on defense.

What is the evidence that he can shoot? I thought that was one of his main areas for improvement.

It is. He was a bad 3 point shooter in Europe and he gags a glacially slow release.

Itā€™s nice that Weaver wound up getting a true 3 and D player in Bey at 19.

2 Likes

BTW- Great win last night, coming back from being down 23 in the 2nd quarter to win in OT vs. a very good Suns team. Jerami Grant had his second game in a row with 31 points and 10 rebounds and Blake looked as good as he has at any point this season. Heā€™s still not the Blake of old but he at least looked like a good player out there, which hadnā€™t been the case in the first 8 games.

1 Like

Jerami Grant has been a good pick up for the Pistons as they did not have one of him and Bey is probably one of the steals of the draft. Blake at this stage of his career needs to strictly play bully ball and should be fed only if he is bullying (holds the ball to long (ala Adrian Dantley).

2 Likes

A little humorā€¦

3 Likes

It was nice for a while for Drummond to take the torch from Ben Wallace. No, not of superior rebounding, but of proclaiming every training camp that this was the year he expands his offensive arsenal.

EDIT: It was as predictable as Miggy showing up to every spring training in ā€œthe best shape of his careerā€.

2 Likes

LOL/sigh. Should have traded him 3 years earlier and actually got something.

1 Like

I am so bad at evaluating NBA players. I was always against trading Drummond, and thought the Pistons could build around him.

We me too, but with a small minority of players you just see it coming, or youā€™re a broken clock right twice a day and that player is that instance. I just didnā€™t see a winner. He was so incredibly raw despite spending as much time in organized basketball as any other draftee.

Definitely the right pick at the time, and I could see him thriving on a team with exceptionally strong leadership that asks him to play a very specific role, but heā€™s also the kind of player you want to trade as soon as his valueā€™s high if youā€™re not that team.

1 Like

Heā€™s definitely not a guy you want taking up such a large portion of your cap.

1 Like

Ben Simmons canā€™t shoot, whatā€™s up with that. At this point it doesnā€™t look like he is going to change.

It really amazing that he is playing at such a high level with such a major gap in his game. I canā€™t even think of an analogy in another sportā€¦ Baseball player who canā€™t throw but hits .300? Golfer who never used his driver but still competes only using irons?

1 Like

Christian Wood 27pt 15 reb. He should be in a Piston uniform :unamused:

1 Like

Just wondering how you guys like Stewart so far? Iā€™m only really seeing highlights and box scores but he appears to be doing well in his limited role.

What do you Pistons fans think/ whatā€™s the general opinion thus far?

Heā€™s a fan favorite on Twitter. Some have nicknamed him ā€œBeef Stewā€ for his muscular build.

Heā€™s an all hustle guy so he fits the ā€œPistons DNAā€ profile from years past. Sometimes heā€™s out of control but you have to figure that will improve over time. Heā€™s still limited offensively but has upside and his wingspan mostly makes up for him not being a super leaper. I donā€™t know if heā€™ll be anything besides a role player but he can fill a good role and is the kind of guy you want on your team. Heā€™s already frustrated Giannis with his physical play, which is nice.

1 Like

The Pistons did choke away a 17-point 4th quarter lead to the Hawks last night, and a 5-point lead in OT. It was frustrating but I guess weā€™re not really looking for wins this season. Both Rose and Blake were having very good games (for their age) and both seemed to tire down the stretch. First Rose in the final 5 minutes and Blake in OT.

Jerami Grant once again led the team in scoring, which heā€™s done every game this season. I donā€™t know if being on the team with the worst record warrants All-Star consideration but heā€™s having an All-Star kind of year. Heā€™s our best defensive and offensive player. Heā€™s averaging 25.4 points, shooting 47/39/86 and, though heā€™s not a big passer, heā€™s at a nearly 2/1 assist/TO ratio. Add in over a block a game and just under a steal and you now have an argument that heā€™s underpaid with that contract that so many didnā€™t like a couple of months ago.

EDIT: I should add that we got KILLED on the boards. Out-rebounded by 21 overall and 16 on the offensive glass. That, and Trey Young shooting 100 FTā€™s in the 4th were deciding factors.

1 Like

Love Stewart. Heā€™s energetic, can stay with guards and bang with Centers. Also has more of an offensive game than heā€™s shown out there. Heā€™s pretty young too.

A little out of control right now but itā€™s like a Chaundee thing where he can go all out because heā€™s not playing starterā€™s minutes.

3 Likes