Depth and future rotations

The one thing that you can almost guarantee is that JB will rely on experience. So saying that he may have to lean on Simmons and Simpson together a lot more than is preferred until the youngins show more seasoning/growth. The exhibition game and cupcakes need to have those freshman/sophomores getting as much play time as possible.

I believe Beilein has been quoted as saying that this yearā€™s freshmen are more game ready that some previous classes.

Shoot at 0.3 is not elite but a respectable number that slightly better than that of Irvinā€™s junior year and MAARā€™s freshman year, and is a lot better than what Simmons had last season. I would be very happy if either Matthews or Simpson can get above 0.30 this season.

I donā€™t exactly think 4 schools in a league of 351 is very good evidence for your claim. Some teams also donā€™t start a player shorter than 6ā€™3". Iā€™m not sure what that has to do with what John Beilein and Michigan will do.

1 Like
  1. 30% isnā€™t very respectable. Itā€™s not awful or ā€œnever shoot itā€ level, but itā€™s definitely ā€œlet him beat us with his shotā€ level for the opponents. The median team 3p% was 34.8% last season.

2. How is 30% a lot better than Simmonsā€™ 35%? I donā€™t understand. Unless you meant Simpson? You canā€™t mean him though, as he only attempted 19 threes last season, which is not enough to make a conclusion on his shooting.

To that last point, I think we can make a conclusion on Xā€™s shooting. He was afraid to shoot threes and would routinely not take wide open looks. Canā€™t really excuse it with small sample size when he creates the sample size because he knows he canā€™t make them.

So could you make the same conclusion after MAARā€™s freshman season, when he took just 41 3s in 550 minutes (not that dissimilar to Simpsonā€™s 19 in 332 minutes), and made less than 30% of them?

1 Like

Iā€™m talking from a scouting perspective here, not pure stats. Obviously this is somewhat anecdotal, but Rahk wasnā€™t afraid to take threes when he had the opportunities as a freshmen. He was aggressive offensively whereas Z was very timid all over the court. Thereā€™s also the fact that Rahkā€™s form was much much better.

It doesnā€™t preclude X from ever improving, but I think itā€™s clear he was a bad shooter the last time we saw him (and the insider chatter about his shot over the summer has not been glowing. It sounds like he has not improved).

He was afraid to shoot everything. Undersized freshmen backups who play 20% of minutes tend to be.

He was third on the team (non-bench warmers) behind only Walton and Robinson in 3PA/FGA.

Am I on drugs, or is MSUā€™s second ā€œtrueā€ starting ā€œbigā€ the 6ā€™7" Miles Bridges?

1 Like

Last year he was. Sounds like they will play two old school bigs this year. Or at least try to.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m sure Jackson starts this year

Ward, jackson, bridges is their frontcourt

I think our counter of Mathews, Robinson and Wagner is a pretty decent response. And I would take Simmons and Rach over Winston and Langford.

Very much looking forward to the Matthews v Bridges battleā€¦very much not looking forward to Duncan trying to check Jackson

2 Likes

At the same time I donā€™t think Jackson can guard Robinson on the perimeter

1 Like

Well considering Robinson canā€™t put it on the deck, Iā€™m sure Jackson can stand at the three point line and put his hands up.

1 Like

The questions that Duncan brings to the table that would be tough for a traditional four (Iā€™ve seen talk that Nick Ward is practicing at the 4).

• Can a traditional four handle a 1-4 pick and pop with Simmons and Duncan? Do you switch Jackson onto Simmons? Do you try to hedge and recover against the pop?
  • Can a four man chase Duncan around screens and through off ball movement?

There are obviously issues that Duncan would need to deal with when heā€™s on defense, but it would be tough to cover him with a true four.

2 Likes

Duncan doesnā€™t just stand in place. Jackson would have to chase him around screens and I donā€™t see it. Also, Duncan is a very good backdoor cutter if JJ plays too far up on him.

Donā€™t get me wrong. It would be an enormous mismatch on the other end, but I think you are underestimating how big the mismatch would be on offense

1 Like

If Ward is playing the 4, then the mismatch is even greater. No way is he chasing around Duncan.

1 Like