Defense and experience

I think it's pretty obvious when you think about it. Players spend their whole lives working on their offensive capabilities, and very little time on defense. Beilein tries recruit kids who already have a high skill level in passing, ball handling and shooting. They show up ready to learn Beilein's offense.

So if the stereotype that all JB players are “high IQ/smart”, then it should be assumed our recruits show up ready to learn defense as well, no? Given that, what do you think the issue is with our D - JBs teaching, JBs recruiting, or the players simply don’t get it?

Read the first two sentences again.

So if we take the first 2 sentences as true to the extent that JB recruits players that already have attained a “high level of passing, ball handling and shooting” that would seem to contradict the notion that JB “develops” players, no?

It’s not that hard to grasp. Coming out of high school/AAU, players are not as far along defensively re: concepts and technique as they are offensively. Unless you have a team that is superior athletically, it takes time to learn to play sound team defense, with the emphasis on team. Do you really disagree with this? Even a player who’s gifted offensively, e.g. Stauskas, has to improve at each level, and Stauskas markedly improved. So, yes, Beilein did a great job developing him even though he came to Ann Arbor with high level shooting, passing and ball handing. He didn’t become a lottery pick on his own. No contradiction whatsoever.

I just disagree with you to the extent that defense is inherently harder to learn than offense. In other words, I just view that as an excuse. I think the problem is in JBs coaching of defense and he tends to recruit players that simply don’t exert 100% on that end of the floor from a mental and physical standpoint, at least for the most part. We just have to agree to disagree.

Much the same that a potential lack of practicing D in HS doesn't mean you have to be bad at it in college.

Right. But I don’t think that’s the heart of the discussion.

MattD - It’s pretty rare to see great defensive teams in college that don’t have: (1) a lot of experience; (2) athleticism; and (3) length. For the last two years, we have lacked at least (1) and (3). I mean, Payne at MSU turned into a really good defender by last year; in 2011-12, a mediocre talent like Smotrycz was abusing him off the dribble.

Also, as I often maintain, coaches coach and focus on certain things to the exclusion of others because there is not unlimited practice time. Look at OSU last year. Great defense, couldn’t shoot a lick. Bounced in the first round by Dayton.

MattD - It's pretty rare to see great defensive teams in college that don't have: (1) a lot of experience; (2) athleticism; and (3) length. For the last two years, we have lacked at least (1) and (3). I mean, Payne at MSU turned into a really good defender by last year; in 2011-12, a mediocre talent like Smotrycz was abusing him off the dribble.

Also, as I often maintain, coaches coach and focus on certain things to the exclusion of others because there is not unlimited practice time. Look at OSU last year. Great defense, couldn’t shoot a lick. Bounced in the first round by Dayton.

I completely disagree with the notion that coaches focus on certain things to the exclusion of others. Do some coaches prefer one area over another, probably, but to the exclusion…,that’s called negligence. OSU is a really poor example considering that the previous 4 seasons prior to 13-14 OSU was top 30 in bothoffense and defense. That excuse just doesn’t make sense to me. For me, I just think JB has poor defensive principles and tends to recruit players that lack the mindset, physicality, and will to go 100% on D. On the other hand, I think he is due credit for the fact that he appears to be addressing the situation through recruiting a more defensive/physical/traditional type player in future classes. IE Teske/Cook/DT

I think you are taking “to the exclusion” a little too literally. I know we practice defense. It’s relative. I read a report of a Syracuse practice the other day and in an hour and a half, all they worked on was the zone. Conversely, we have drills to see how many threes players can make in five minutes. I know Syracuse practices offense, and I know we practice defense, but both coaches no doubt emphasize one more than the other.

As far as the Randle example, come on. First, he came on in the second half but in the first half, I’d say it was the opposite - Payne looked good against him. Second, Randle was the #2 recruit in the country. That’s like saying Chris Webber embarrassed someone physically so anyone can do it.