2020 Recruiting Notes

Both. Has already offered both I believe.

Rivals named Australian native Jayden Stone the “most skilled” at the Holiday Hoopsgiving event:

Michigan isn’t mentioned. Auburn, Creighton, Iowa State, Tennessee, and Vanderbilt are listed as the schools “showing the most love.” I’m surprised that Michigan hasn’t pursued him more heavily. I’d prefer him to Morton, frankly. There’s probably still time to get involved, as it’s still early for 2020 recruits.

I think he’s too similar to what Zeb Jackson is. So I think they probably aren’t really recruiting him anymore. Morton has size. That’s the thing that goes in his, Cunningham, RJ Hampton and those other bigger guards’ favors. All of them are at least 6’6 now apparently.

1 Like

New article on Morton. It’s hard to get a read on where he’s leaning. On Michigan:

“The visit was very impressive. The track record coach (John) Beilein has with that program taking them to two national championships and having all the success is impressive. Everything they do is really good.”

On Morton’ decision timeframe:

He’s hoping to have a decision out of the way before his senior season starts, but isn’t ruling out a relatively early decision sometime after his junior season.

1 Like

I don’t think he’s seripusly considering Michigan personally. Zeb, Jalen Wilson, Cole Bajema and pretty much every kid who commits to Michigan generally talks with a little more detail about visits. He answered that pretty vague and cliched on how a typical visit goes when asked. And frankly I’m ok with him not coming to Michigan because I think/feel there are better options out there. With that being said, if he did commit, I wouldn’t be upset. He’s a good player nonetheless.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: 2020 - Big - Walker Kessler (Offer)

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2020 - Wing - Cam’Ron Fletcher (Target)

A post was merged into an existing topic: 2020 - F - Dawson Garcia (Target)

Same with Caleb Love in a recent interview. Only mention of Michigan was that it was his last visit but doesn’t mention as a school recruiting hardest…

Curious to know besides Kessler, Morton and Fletcher where their recruiting attention is focused post-Jackson commitment

1 Like

Please Cade Cunningham and RJ Hampton

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2020 - Wing - Cade Cunningham (Target)

RJ Hampton is still mentioning us.

A new five star target as well. Seems like the staff is getting after some high level guys. Sure would be cool to get a top wing in the class.

3 Likes

Would be great if we could really spin this season to get an elite class. Seems like our 2020 board is wide open

1 Like

Yep. Stacking a season in which we’re ranked top ten virtually all year right after a second F4 trip is the kind of thing that “permanently” increases our national standing. Would be nice to capitalize on that with even better recruiting and keep that virtuous cycle going.

On the flip side, I’ve already come to the realization that anything short of a Final Four this year is going to be a crushing disappointment (assuming this season goes the way we think it will). Oh, the burden of expectations.

2 Likes

I think um’s basketball brand with recruits is at the highest point it’s been since the early and mid 1990’s when it was sort of the brand in college hoops along with duke. I think it’s a different level than it was post 2014 because success has now been consistent and we are now cycling into the age of kids that have seen um as a high level program from teenage years onwards. It says a lot when a Jayden stone level recruit is putting Michigan in the same category as duke and unc.

3 Likes

Those Final Four thoughts make you sound like a Sparty fan, especially from last year. We know how that turned out.

1 Like

Yeah, you can’t get too worked up about Final Four expectations. It’s just too hard / random, the only way you can expect Final Fours is by having Final Four caliber teams almost every year.

But, I will be disappointed if we don’t get that B1G regular season title.

1 Like

Not sure I understand your point. I’m just saying that being this good all season changes the “expectation” level of our team in March. I’m sure State fans were more disappointed in their early exit than they would have been if their team was worse during the season. I’m certainly not saying I’m entitled to it, just that it will hurt more to lose an early or mid-round game.

(And, yes, I totally agree that the vagaries of the one-and-done make it “foolish” to place expectations on tournament performance. I can’t logic emotions though. And, just for the record, my whole comment was a bit tongue in cheek)