2020 Recruiting Notes

Even more coming…

A couple of contacts from up my way in Ben Carlson and Dawson Garcia. I haven’t seen Carlson in person but I’ve heard great things. Would be a “4” in UM’s offense but could slide over to the 3 (not that there is much difference in the offense for those spots. Garcia is a 6’9" lefty shooter. Has had a great spring. Plays strictly the 4 for his HS team (they have a 6’10" big that was offered by Penn State in Robert Jones). I don’t see him as a super aggressive player but he is very skilled for his size. Kind of in the Anthony Randolph realm (not quite as athletic).

1 Like

Really nice skill set on Ben Carlson.

Here’s a bunch of names from a Zagsblog article. I’m sure a bunch of names have already been posted but here are the names from the article that have been contacted by the staff.

Jaden Springer - 6’4" SG from NC
Isaiah Cottrell - 6’8" F from NV
Jabri Abdur-Rahim - 6’4" G from NJ (Shareff’s son)
Lynn Greer III - 6’3" G from PA (Dad played at Temple)
Xavier Foster - 6’10 C from IA (Dad played at Iowa)
DJ Steward - 6’1" G from IL
Micah Peavy - 6’5" G from TX
Chanse Robinson - 6’0" G from LA
Isaiah Jackson - 6’8" F from MI

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: 2020 - Guard - RJ Hampton (Target)

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2020 - Wing - Greg Brown (Target)

I was just looking at our scholarships going forward. 2020 and 2021 could be back to back huge classes. Lots of if’s before they happen, but both could be 5 kid classes assuming our player development continues and kids leave early.

One thing that will slow down player development some, though, is the fact that we’ve been landing a lot of recruits, so there’s depth at most positions now.

Starting in 2020, you’re probably going to see the following guys back: DeJulius (junior), Brooks (senior), Nunez (junior), Livers (senior), Wilson (sophomore), Castleton (junior), Davis (senior). It’s possible that Johns is a two and done player, but I think he probably stays at least three years. And if we land Carton, with the other guys we’ll have in the backcourt in 2019 (Simpson, DeJulius, Brooks), my guess is he plays at least two years, which means he’ll be around in 2020, too. So that’s at least nine guys. Gone from the current roster will be Poole, Matthews, Simpson, Teske, and Iggy. That assumes Poole and Iggy leave early, which I think is likely.

But yes, by the fall of 2021 (three years), we could be looking at almost an entirely new team.

The bad news, if any exists, is we have several possible early entry guys, but we probably won’t know if they’ll leave until after the 2019/2020 season is concluded. This would include guys like Iggy and Johns, and to a much lesser extent Wilson and Carton.

On the other hand, if those guys do leave, it likely means we’ve had a very successful season and we have a couple guys headed for the first round of the NBA draft, which should boost recruiting.

Honestly, the only “sure things” to be around by the fall of 2021 would probably be DeJulius (given his size, I think he’s probably a four year player even if he turns out to be as good as Derrick Walton, the guy most compare him to), Nunez, maybe Jalen Wlison, and Girard if we land him. Carton seems like a two year guy to me. And I think Castleton, assuming he takes over the center position in 2020/21, is a guy with real NBA potential too.

We’ll just need to really monitor everyone’s progress and probably be a little more aggressive about oversigning, which I think JB might strongly consider given the pro prospects of many of these guys.

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2020 - G - Zeb Jackson (Target)

Sam Webb and Tim McCormick were on WTKA this morning talking about the NBPA top 100 camp last week. Talked about 2020 big man interest in Michigan. Talked a little about Isaiah Jackson, but also indicated serious Michigan interest from 7 footers Hunter Dickinson and Walker Kessler. Mo Wagner usage seems to be driving their interest. I think big man recruiting will be key for 2020.

4 Likes

Love to see the spread strategy starting to resonate with the bigs…makes me think MO might go in the first round tomorrow. Also makes me think TESKE is probably putting up volumes of threes this summer.

And makes me think we’re going to see Johns and Castleton playing that type of game over the next few years.

2 Likes

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2020

ESPN 60 for 2020 updated, here’s the notables for Michigan, I tried to go back through this thread from the past month and include anyone whose name there was, I may have missed some though:

R.J. Hampton - 3
Jaden Springer - 14
Isaiah Jackson - 15
Hunter Dickinson - 21
Jabri Abdur-Rahim - 22
Walker Kessler - 31
Dawson Garcia - 32
Xavier Foster - 33
Micah Peavy - 39
Caleb Love - 40
Isaiah Cottrell - 42

1 Like

Lance ware is supposedly participating in the camp today, I wonder if he could be the first offer.

A post was merged into an existing topic: 2020 - Big - Isaiah Jackson (Target)

New 247 rankings… some notables (I’m not real up to speed on all of the top 2020 targets yet so I’m sure I’m missing some guys):

#7 RJ Hampton
#16 Isaiah Jackson
#25 Hunter Dickinson
#26 Jalen Terry
#30 Adam Miller
#44 Lance Ware
#70 Ethan Morton
#96 Zeb Jackson
#99 Scooby Johnson

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2020 - G - Zeb Jackson (Target)

Rivals just posted a paywalled article about an interview with #5 Greg Brown and his interest in Michigan.

1 Like

Is it Mo Bamba/Jaylen Brown interest or Cole Anthony interest?

1 Like