2019 - Wing - Jalen Wilson (De-Commit)

That’s what I think, too, John!

1 Like

I think there’s a non-zero chance he is the most complete offensive player on the roster next season

Really? You think he’s going to contribute that much? I’m not counting on him too much for this year.

2 Likes

I really love his game. I think he can flat out fill it up, can shoot, can do some shot creation off the dribble already that impresses me more than what I’ve seen from Brooks, Livers, Johns and the other wings on the roster. And I think that will be a major need too so he’ll get the chance to prove it

I like Wilson’s game a lot. But until we see him in live action and able to determine if he can guard anyone, I will be skeptical about any thoughts of heavy contribution from him or any other freshman.

4 Likes

At the moment, he seems like the best bet to be our 4th starter, and a Simpson-Wilson-Livers-Teske lineup could, from a defensive standpoint, accommodate a 2, 3 or maybe even a 4.

If Wilson is our best offensive wing I think he starts, and if he can’t guard 2s that helps Brooks and DeJulius, and if he’s best guarding 2s, that helps Johns and Pierce or another forward if we bring one in.

1 Like

Wilson can definitely shoot, which is great to see.

People say this about Bajema, but similarly, I’m worried Jalen’s offensive play will be a bit soft in college (which I guess isn’t unusual at all, perhaps I’ve seen too much of Iggy and Johns’ HS tapes last year). I think unless he adds a lot of muscle on in the summer, he’ll be mostly a perimeter player his freshman year.

Wait, you think Wilson needs to put a ton of muscle on or Bajema?

Because Wilson does not.

2 Likes

Bajema does absolutely, but I think Wilson does too. Perhaps I don’t mean adding muscle as much as I think he’s gotta toughen up his game.

I’d like to see Wilson eventually dominate. He’s got above average athleticism and strength for high school which will likely translate to average athleticism and strength in college.

His high school tape shows him shooting the ball very well, and a lot. However, even when he has a smaller guy on him, he would rather pull up and shy away from contact than take it to the rack. Another part of it is because he’s really unselfish too, but I haven’t seen many hard nosed drives to the basket or tough finishes at the rim. So in that sense I’d like him to be more like Iggy, and take more contact than he already does.

Bajema is absolutely more physically unready, but I think he plays tough, which is nice to see from a player like him. I think if Wilson becomes a bit more athletic and stronger, and becomes more aggressive than he is right now, he can be one of the top players in the B1G.

2 Likes

double post

Wilson is physically college ready. He doesn’t need more muscle, so will work on his athleticism: vertical jump and lateral quickness. He’s not soft and has more of an old school game with midrange jumpers. He won’t get pushed around but like Iggy will need to adjust to the length and shot blocking at the college level.

I thought his early film in particular had some nice takes to the rim and nice footwork/ back to the basket spin moves over smaller guys. Haven’t seen as much film since he signed but i think he played through some contact well at his current level. Hopefully he can help right away. Not as physical as iggy for sure but much stronger takes than Cole. Nice crafty moves and body control overall for his age.

Didn’t see this, but I concur. My assessment too. Seems like he has been shooting more threes lately and working on that part of his game more.

1 Like

What I like about his game is that he seems to have a stable handle and good change of direction on his moves for his size. Also his shot is smooth with out labor or sort of effortless. Also I can see him being a good passer.

1 Like

I feel like his comp is Trevon Blueitt. 6-7 or so, good outside shooter, has some game off the dribble but is not overly athletic, good scorer.

I’m starting to be optimistic he can help more next year than I thought. Nice 15 minutes out of him a game would be very helpful

He could very well start next year. If Wagner doesn’t come I’d predict the starting lineup as

Z
Eli
Wilson
Livers
Teske

Even if Wagner comes I think he battles Wilson for the starting spot

1 Like

Generally speaking, I like Jalen Wilson a lot. I just don’t see him being more ready that a second year Brandon Johns. Iggy has been the exception than the rule for wings starting as a freshman - especially to start the season. I think 15-20 off the bench might be his sweet spot if there is no change in roster from today

5 Likes

I agree for sure. However, I don’t see Johns ever playing the 3. In that case it leaves Livers to play the 3 and Johns at the 4. I think having Teske, Johns, and Livers all in the starting lineup hurts spacing quite a bit and so personally, I don’t think Beilein does it.

1 Like

Assuming Iggy is gone, unless both Eli and Johns step up big time (or big big surprises from Bajema and Nurez), Wilson will play major minutes at 3, regardless of Franz’s decision.