2018 Recruiting Notes

This sounds about right to me.

Iā€™m very confident in Mathews. His highlight reels in high school were super impressive five star esque video.

Iā€™m confident heā€™ll be a solid starter next year and one of our better players.

1 Like

Three if you count Robinson.

Good point. Another thing, Duncan looks like heā€™s putting 10x more effort into his defense and it has been showing. Proud of that kid. So glad we have him for another year.

2 Likes

PGs take time to develop in Beileinā€™s system and Centers usually take time to adjust/bulk-up to B1G physicality.

That all being said, I think it would be wise for Michigan to use a scholarship on a Center or Tall-Wing (6-8+) in the 2018 recruiting cycle. For the 18-19 Season UM will be looking at the 4th year of eligibility for both Wagner & Wilson ā€” even if Teske, Livers, Davis all pan out, itā€™s a good time to introduce depth into the program to start strength training & learning the playbook.

I understand the desire for athleticism on the perimeter, but starting in 18-19 UM will have Simpson (2yrs elig), Matthews (2yrs elig), DeJulius (4yrs elig), Poole (3yrs elig), Brooks (3yrs elig), Watson (2yrs elig) ā€” plus 1 other Class of 17 or Class of 18 scholarship slot for a wing/2-guard. Thatā€™s a log jam of bodies with multiple years of eligibility ā€” especially for a Coach who like to go with a 7/8 man rotation.

Once again, Iā€™m not contesting the idea that CM will play the 3 next year. The roster isnā€™t built ideally so until DJ leaves then CM will be out of position (assuming no rapid rate of skill improvement). If anything, the X/MAAR/CM lineup is only going to magnify the points Iā€™ve been making about CM and the roster so that by the time DJ leaves, itā€™ll be glaring to JB.

Thats why I think you go

Simpson
Poole
Matthews
Wilson
Wagner

Bench
Brooks
MAAR
Robinson
Livers
Teske/Davis

Poole will play a pure catch and shoot 2g to split up the lack of pure shooting from XS & CM. MAAR will also provide leadership and experience off the bench with that group vs a freshman Poole, freshman Brooks, freshman Livers ectā€¦ Not saying Poole will play starter mins but just interns of splitting up the lineup for various reasons. Now Beilein probably wonā€™t do that right away, but I think thats the eventual rotation come B1G season, maybe earlier

2 Likes

Youā€™re showing a 10-man rotation from a coach who doesnā€™t go that deep ā€” especially not come B1G play.

In short, I donā€™t see where minutes come from for both Poole & Brooks. And I donā€™t see Livers beating out one of Wilson/Matthews/DRobinson for minutes on the wing?

I agree. The bench guys will be determined by

1. If MAAR can play backup point guard: Yes = Poole plays the 2 when MAAR slides to the 1; No = Brooks backs up X
  2. If JB likes CM at the 4: Yes = Livers gets no bench minutes at the 4 because of shuffling of CM, Duncan, Poole, and MAAR.

Then I think one of Teske/Davis is a given and Duncan will get 10-20 minutes regardless, depending on game script.

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying my above post is giving everyone 15 mins a night. Who knows how the mins play out.
Livers will play the four (dosent have to beat out Duncan or Matthews) and back up Wilson.
Duncan or Ibi will back up Matthews at the 3
Poole will back up MAAR at the 2.
Brooks may or may not play a lot depending on Simpsons development.

There are mins for everyone available. Thereā€™s not a position thatā€™s overcrowded unless we somehow land Bamba.

1 Like

I donā€™t see JB starting Poole at the two ahead of MAAR at least not to begin the season. And even later Poole will have to have shown a lot on defense. If things do not progress for him Ibi will be a big miss for JB.

1 Like

I dont think Poole can start over maar. In fact I think senior maar will be much better than Poole

2 Likes

I do too. Thats not my point. Im not saying Poole will get starter mins or be more productive. I think that with the composition of this particular rostering '17, Poole provides a pure shooter for XS & Matthews to somewhat rely on (think of a freshman Stu Douglass type of role). I think JPā€™s shot will translate to D1 immediately. vs a lineup of XS, MAAR, Matthews which provides next to no shooting unless MAAR is in the middle of a hot streak. JP will be a consistent threat from deep.

Also, Maar would provide huge leadership and a possible scoring threat off the bench, maybe even to help run the O from time to time if Brooks (if heā€™s on the court) needs that help, giving XS a rest instead of having a 100% inexperienced bench, aside from Duncan.

I see MAAR starting and getting most of the minutes. His experience alone separates him from Poole. Heā€™s shooting around 40% on threes. He drives the ball effectively, and heā€™s become a really good defender.

Another name to keep an eye on Kristian Sjolund, Norwegian kid playing in Texas. Actually believe he plays on the same team as Jamal Bieniemy. Link has a full scouting report, seems like more of a stretch 4 than a wing and needs to fill out.

1 Like

Kids got a great looking shot. Has a ton of work to do in the weight room.

Sjolund looks like he has potential as a shooter, 6ā€™11 wingspan, good verticality, and a frame that looks like it will fill out real well. Ball skills are supposedly unrefined but has motor/grit. He is all arms and legs and you can tell he is still learning to use his length. Like him as a 4 (if the staff insist on taking one), especially if it ups the chance of Bieniemy.

3 Likes

Sweet shot. Seems like a kid that will blow up out of our range.