2018 Recruiting Notes

Maybe it indicates the coaches have evaluated the feedback they’ve received from C.Ryan and have decided to look at the #2 option for that scholarship spot?

Or perhaps they’ve evaluated film from the weekend and view Caromdy & Ryan as 1a/1b?

Either way, I’d be surprised if Beilein & staff extend more 2018 offers to G/SF types over the next few weeks.

1 Like

I have no clue how Cohill dosent have an offer right now.

I agree. Kid can ball

What bothered you so much about it?

They could also recruit with the plan that in 2017 it’s 5* or bust for the last scholarship, which could open another spot. Splitting it or giving it to dakich/lonergan/hibbits is an option (I believe other sports move schollys to walk ons when available).

I have a clue though I might be clueless. I think (rightly or wrongly) Cohill may not be far enough along in the vetting process for Coach Beilein to offer.

Sarcasm? If you did legitimately just start following hoops recruiting this year (which is understandable, we all gotta start) PM me and I can explain what happened.

Not being sarcastic at all. Followed hoops recruiting for around 18 years. Basically since Ellerbe.

So sarcasm, gotcha. I mean I think we all know what happened with Battle and Langford. I’m not getting into this as it has nothing to do with the thread.

Interesting recruiting update here from @MattD. Kevin Easley makes no mention of Michigan. Does that mean we told him we are looking in a different direction or he’s just sick of waiting for that offer?

https://twitter.com/endless_motor/status/764075310182608896

Couldn’t blame him if he moved on. He obviously really wanted a Michigan offer, and I"m assuming we’ve told him that we’re waiting to see what a few other guys will do. Unless he’s willing to wait it out til Wilkes/Johns decide, no reason for him to continue to consider us.

Wow. Him not mentioning us is very telling

He was not expected to receive an offer, especially after the Livers commitment. Even w/o it, he had a lot to prove.

Just watched some sophomore highlights on Youtube. Quite athletic. Shows a little (not a lot) dribbling and shooting capabilities. Defnitely likes to get out and run on the break. A LOT to work with, IMO, and am curious to see where this goes.
https://youtu.be/gNGAjkpJN-8

I feel bad for Easley. I bet he’s pissed.

Can’t see what role Easley would really fill for us. He’s physically maxed out and his skill level is really not that expansive. Glad we’ve moved on from him.

Not everyone has ability to play for Michigan. He has like 20 offers. He will be fine.

Just saying that I have some sympathy.

I was at the Elite Camp Saturday. My impression of Easley mirrored that of Dylan and others–I don’t know where he plays at the college level. At this point, he’s not athletic enough to play 3, he’s not big, explosive or physical enough to play 4, and he has no outstanding skill which makes him stick out and makes you say I don’t care what position he projects at, I want him anyway. He’s only going into his junior year in high school, so he has time, but regretfully, because he seems like a great kid who desperately wanted a Michigan offer, I wouldn’t have extended one based on what I saw Saturday. A buddy of mine is fond of saying that you should be able to pick out the high DI prospect(s) on the court in a matter of minutes even if you don’t know who you’re looking at, and if you can’t, well, that raises a lot of questions. In this case, if I hadn’t been aware of who Easley was, he wouldn’t have struck me as being a standout, and I watched him twice.

3 Likes