2017 Recruiting Notes

Before I forget - JB was watching Malik Williams as well

1 Like

Getting Tillman and/or Williams would be huge! Glad to see those guys are getting attention. Need some athletic bigs for once. (Tillman would be a four for us, right?)

For 2nd time today JB front & center for Cain. Clear that he is priority

Watching Jordan Poole live, he appears to be every bit of 6ā€™4 and maybe 6ā€™5

Just watched the whole first half. Cain is certainly a points/rebounds guy. Think more of a poor mans gr3. I donā€™t think I saw him take more than 2 dribbles anytime he had the ball and didnā€™t attack the rims once. He is a good finisher though when guys set him up

Really nice and workman like first half for Cain. 8pts and 7rebs on 4-7 shooting. Drew a charge, grabbed w steal. Motor was great

1 Like

He just hit a 3, his shot doesnā€™t look bad at all. Not sure why he struggles so much shooting.

Watching Cain now on the streamā€¦ looks great. Shooting form looks fine to me. Also, he must be at least a ā€œlegit 6-7ā€ as Matt would say. We need a finisher and he fits the bill.

Saw Poole earlier. Needs to tighten up his handle, had his pocket picked several times. There were several guys on Boo Wiliams that I wouldnā€™t mind havingā€¦ Coleman, Johnson and Carlton to name a few.

Cain was absolutely dominant in front of JB. 16pts, 8 Rebs, 7-11 shooting. Drew a charge, grabbed a steal. All that in about 22-23 mins. Itā€™s VERY obvious to me the kid is a top 100 takent

Itā€™s just rhythm - believe me he can shoot. All shooters go through slumps. Poole is in one. Iā€™ve literally watched Young shoot 3 air balls today

1 Like

No joke, Cain left the game for a breather and JB went to another court. As soon as Cain returned so did JB. Iā€™d say Cain is a priority

1 Like

He actually had a nice change of direction off PnR in the first half. The biggest thing Cain needs at this point is additional strength, he loses balance too much IMI. The ballhandling skills are there, trust me. Heā€™s not Nik, but certainly better than Zak, THJ, or GR3 at the same stage

Matt, is there anyone who you think will move up JBā€™s recruiting board with there play. And any feel on new targets that might emerge with the teams he has been watching? Thanks, enjoying the coverage.

1 Like

Where are u guys watching this

www.nikeeyb.com Has a live stream

If JB was watching the same game I was it would have to be Donnie Tillman hands down. Heā€™s played extremely well

2 Likes

What I saw today from Cain is what I would expect from a 6ā€™7 athletic forward who was the tallest guy on the court for the majority of the game. Around 100 I would be alright with but not too much farther than that. He did nothing today besides finish from being set up by his teammates. I dinā€™t see one play he created for himself off the dribble. He does seem to me like a good fit at the PF spot for Beilein. I canā€™t get too excited about this kid because I have seen plenty of guys like him that struggle against big guys. Hopefully I can catch a game where they play a good team and itā€™s not a blowout either way. Watch a Dawkins or Pettway high school video and youā€™ll see a lot of the same stuff. Gr3 was and is much better than all 3 of the others but he did a lot of the same in high school. Can finish well, catch and shoot a little bit. All of them were the biggest guys out there and thatā€™s the main reason they dominated. Chatman dominated in high school becasue he was the biggest guy with plus handle with a great passing ability but now that he is playing in the big ten, he struggles quite a bit. Cain Doesnā€™t create off the dribble and doesnā€™t look to set anyone else up at anytime. Those are the main reasons I canā€™t see him being ranked much higher. Besides being a super streaky shooter. Lets not forget, This is only Cainā€™s second game shooting above 40% from the field. Yes, he can dunk and finish by the rim, but I havenā€™t seen a whole lot of anything else. He has time to expand his game still, so lets hope he is putting in the proper amount of work.

He didnā€™t record a steal. I know the play you are probably talking about on the fast break when he fumbled the ball away and got it back for a wide open layup.

Reasonable minds can differ no doubt, but Iā€™m quite sure Cainā€™s offer list and ranking in July will probably support my opinion as opposed to your own. Hell, his offer list is already more impressive in relation to Watson.

2 Likes

I really feel like you made up your mind on Cain already because everything you say sounds more like confirmation bias.

3 Likes