Production Predictions for the 2014-2015 Team

Dylan - any insight as to Dawkins’ lateral movement and motor? Would love for him to be able to guard perimeter players - seems to have the size/strength/build to be a great defender.

You guys sound like broken records. I’m well aware of why Novak and GRIII played the 4. Novak and GRIII didn’t have Kam Chatman and D.J. Wilson on their team.

Chatman and Wilson will play the 4 with Bielfeldt available if needed.
Donnal and Doyle will play the 5 with Bielfeldt available if needed.

Between PG, SG, SF (120 minutes) you have:
Walton, LeVert, Irvin, Albecht.

Between PF and C (80 minutes) you have:
Chatman, Wilson, Donnal, Doyle, and Bielfeldt.

Anyone with common sense can see that Dawkins minutes are most likely going to come from SG/SF.

I think weight and strength is overrated in this regard. No one would take Roy Hibbert over Anthony Davis.

Cool? No one would take Jon Horford over Jared Sullinger. Sometimes strength and size > length and athleticism. Anthony Davis was one of the best NCAA players of our era (all time?), but that doesn’t mean anybody that has his build/playing style is going to be an All-American.

Anyone with common sense can see that Dawkins minutes are most likely going to come from SG/SF.

Players who can’t dribble don’t play the 2 and so far, no one agrees with you.

I think weight and strength is overrated in this regard. No one would take Roy Hibbert over Anthony Davis.

Cool? No one would take Jon Horford over Jared Sullinger. Sometimes strength and size > length and athleticism. Anthony Davis was one of the best NCAA players of our era (all time?), but that doesn’t mean anybody that has his build/playing style is going to be an All-American.

Thats a gap in talent, not physical dimensions. Anthony Davis and Hibbert was at least a more respectable comparison.

You didn’t agree with me 6 months ago when I said Chatman would play the 4 his freshman year. Good thing I don’t always listen to you.

There is a gap in talent between Davis and Hibbert, too. One was a National Player of the Year, National Champion, Defensive Player of the Year, and #1 overall pick in the NBA draft. Roy Hibbert? Not so much. Of course people take Davis over Hibbert.

Dozens of recent big men have been successful without having games like Davis. DeMarcus Cousins and Jared Sullinger > Fab Melo and Gorgu Deing. Sometimes strength and size >>>>>. It comes down to specific players. In the specific case of Wilson vs Doyle, I think Doyle offers more at the 5. Time will tell, but get off your high horse because you’ve been wrong plenty of times (as have I).

There is a gap in talent between Davis and Hibbert, too. One was a National Player of the Year, National Champion, Defensive Player of the Year, and #1 overall pick in the NBA draft. Roy Hibbert? Not so much. Of course people take Davis over Hibbert..

When did Davis win DPOY? Noah was 1st and Hibbert was 2nd. Hibbert was an all star, when was Davis an all star? Hibbert has been in 3 ECF, has Davis been in 1 playoof?

So no the gap isn’t as silly as Horford and Sullinger.

Athleticism > Size Length> Strength

I guess the Euro trip will be telling but there are plenty of 6’10’'+, 220 centers in college and some at the pro level.

Which 6’10+ 220 lb. centers have played for a Big Ten team and had success? Out of the top 40 centers in the NBA (based on PER), only one is under 230 pounds and he was the 17th overall center. Not sure why you think 6’10 220lb. is ideal.

Like I said, centers have had success in the Big Ten being 6’10 220. I’ll wait.

There is a gap in talent between Davis and Hibbert, too. One was a National Player of the Year, National Champion, Defensive Player of the Year, and #1 overall pick in the NBA draft. Roy Hibbert? Not so much. Of course people take Davis over Hibbert..

When did Davis win DPOY? Noah was 1st and Hibbert was 2nd. Hibbert was an all star, when was Davis an all star? Hibbert has been in 3 ECF, has Davis been in 1 playoof?

I’m referring to their college careers so we don’t do something idiotic and compare 27 year old Hibbert to 21 year old Davis.

Is the talent gap between Sullinger and Fab Melo close enough for you? No one is taking Fab Melo over Sullinger. Sometimes size/strength > lenthg/athleticism. It’s a case by case basis.

Athleticism > Size Length> Strength

I guess the Euro trip will be telling but there are plenty of 6’10’'+, 220 centers in college and some at the pro level.

Which 6’10+ 220 lb. centers have played for a Big Ten team and had success? Out of the top 40 centers in the NBA (based on PER), only one is under 230 pounds and he was the 17th overall center. Not sure why you think 6’10 220lb. is ideal.

Like I said, centers have had success in the Big Ten being 6’10 220. I’ll wait.

You do realize players gain weight in the NBA? Who said anything about ideal? Its aboit talent level and tools between Doyle and Wilson, not building the perfect center.

I’m also curious why you limit it to the B1G? John Henson, Udoh, Brandan Wright, Nerlens Noel would all have success in the B1G.

I’m referring to their college careers so we don’t do something idiotic and compare 27 year old Hibbert to 21 year old Davis.

Is the talent gap between Sullinger and Fab Melo close enough for you? No one is taking Fab Melo over Sullinger. Sometimes size/strength > lenthg/athleticism. It’s a case by case basis.

What does age have to do with playing style?

Age has to do with success. You can’t compare the NBA success of a 27 year old to a 21 year old. I’m surprised you don’t realize this. The talent gap between Anthony Davis (one of the best NCAA players of all time) and Roy Hibbert (a good but not great center) is immense. The fact that Hibbert has been to 3 ECF is pretty irrelevant, considering Davis is 21 years old. Stupid point.

Age has to do with success. You can't compare the NBA success of a 27 year old to a 21 year old. I'm surprised you don't realize this. The talent gap between Anthony Davis (one of the best NCAA players of all time) and Roy Hibbert (a good but not great center) is immense. The fact that Hibbert has been to 3 ECF is pretty irrelevant, considering Davis is 21 years old. Stupid point.

The conversation is about physical dimensions and skill, not success. No statistic would support that Davis and Hibbert is a bigger gap than Horford and Sullinger. Davis has ab unimaginable ceiling but the gap in 2013 isn’t as large as you want it to be. The funny thing is by me giving Hibbert credit, it helps your flimsy argument.

2011/2012 UK Anthony Davis >>>>> 2007/2008 Roy Hibbert. The talent gap is HUGE.

I used different players to make the talent gaps even. No one is taking Fab Melo or Gorgui Dieng over DeMarcus Cousins or Jared Sullinger based on your theory that Length and Athleticism >>>> Size and Strength every time.

How is Doyle similar to Demarcus Cousins LOL

Dieng and Sullinger will be debatable fyi

And yes at its most extreme, length and athleticism >>>> Size and Strength. We can look at the best modern bigmen and see that trend.

DeMarcus Cousins weakness is his lack of athleticism. You going to take Fab Melo over Cousins because he is longer and more athletic?

lol, no.

No, but I would take Anthony Davis and Noah over him.

Anthony Davis is one of the best players of our era (all time?), so that is obvious.

You would take Joakim Noah over DeMarcus Cousins. Lol…

Anthony Davis is one of the best players of our era (all time?), so that is obvious.

You would take Joakim Noah over DeMarcus Cousins. Lol…

Both of these comments are hilarious.

Also add Blake Griffin, Chris Bosh, Ibaka to my long and athletic argument

Now if you can show me these massive bigmen with no athleticism flourishing in todays game…

1. You lose all credibility by saying Noah > Cousins.

2. D.J. Wilson is built like / plays like Blake Griffin? Lol…

Wow you guys have some good energy here! Regardless of athleticism Doyle has to prove he can run with the thoroughbreds…UM runs an up tempo offense! The best in the country over the past two years…if Ricky can run the floor he will play, Wilson can run the floor!

Did you see Mitch in the summer league…he’s a freaking beast running up and down the floor! If Doyle can run he’ll play or he’ll take the Morgan route and hits the stairs in Chrysler with Sanderson…

Keep it going guys its awesome!!!

We’ll, when given the chance, Doyle will prove that he can run.