Frankie Hughes - Potential Target for 2016

Looks like JB might be in the exploratory stages of going after another not so highly touted player. Hughes is your classic “just a shooter” type player. Can shoot off the bounce and screens, weak handle, average athlete, does have some nice court vision. Looks to be a legit 6’3. Film reminds me an awful lot of a smaller THJ in HS. Seems a bit underrated (currently not ranked) as well. That being said, if this kid gets an offer prior to us exhausting ALL current options for the 16 class, I would have to wonder what the heck is going on.

I just had a long talk with Head Coach John Beilein from Michigan. People he is Real and straight to the point.WINNER AND HE LIKES FRANKIE.

— Sonny Johnson (@sonnyjohnson32) July 29, 2014

Also, an interesting look at JB’s recruiting approach - may possibly explain some of our issues with recruiting

John Beilein won't let a kid on campus without having the kids transcripts. He says why waste the kids time or his time? #SPECIAL

— Sonny Johnson (@sonnyjohnson32) July 30, 2014

Looks like the same highlights, just a closer angle

Looks like Hughes holds offers from Kent State, Cleveland State and Dayton.

Apparently UM first reached out to Hughes in mid - July

School that called me for FRANKIE HUGHES today Xavier - Iowa- Michigan -Dayton - Cleveland state

— Sonny Johnson (@sonnyjohnson32) July 18, 2014

Re: transcripts

I had thought that was always part of JB’s system, it likely contributed to Josh Langford not visiting sooner/getting an offer as yet. Agreed we have too many other targets on the board for 2016 that seem to have some level of mutual interest to more closely look at Frankie at this stage, but I’d be curious to see more film as time goes on.

Like what I saw…similar game to Battle (without the high end athleticism) and Murray (without the polish). Body type is like LeVert’s and he looks to still be growing. Sanderson and Lavall Jordan can fix those issues…

I like him more than Bruce Brown, Kenny Williams, Mcquaid, etc…from a potential aspect…really long arms,

If UM doesn’t take a 2015 guard… could pair him with an explosive, power guard like Langford.

Sound like a broken record…but for the life of me, can we please obtain some athletes and creators, I mean, how many shooters do we need in light of Duncan Robinson?

We need 2 wings still so I’m fine with taking a young shooter as long as a dribble drive guy comes, too.

4 scholarships in 2016 if no 2015 guy is taken and if Irvin/Walton stay. A PG and two Wings are ESSENTIAL but does the last scholarship go to a 5 or a stretch 4? Not that I think Walton and Irvin make it to their Sr year…

Sounds like he played great at AAU Nationals and All-Ohio has been good to Michigan. Not surprised that UM is showing interest. He also already has a number of quality MM offers. I suspect this is a ‘hey, you played great in July so let’s get you on campus for a football game and go from there’ type of deal right now, but will investigate.

An elite PG is the most essential need right now, and it’s not even close. In 16, Walton will either be a senior or departed to the NBA, and at this point we do not have a single player on the roster that can fill that spot if he bolts after 15-16… I pray we get DT, and quick. After that, we MUST get an athletic wing and another wing that is a combo/creator…hence my want for Jalen Coleman/Prince Ali. Can’t have all wings that are just shooters. MAAR fills that void to a certain extent, but he is not really a SG right now so much as he is a guy that just needs the ball in his hands to be effective. We have 2 legit centers with 4 years of eligibility left and 2 4s with four year of eligibility left, not so much of an issue

Sound like a broken record.......but for the life of me, can we please obtain some athletes and creators, I mean, how many shooters do we need in light of Duncan Robinson?

Michigan’s guards and wings pretty much all have to be able to shoot and MAAR is already on the roster as more of a slasher/creator. Not sure that Frankie would really be classified as a poor athlete right now either.

Triple Double Prospects:
No 2016 wing player had a better July among Ohio kids than Hughes. The All-Ohio Red guard proved that he’s a great prospect at the next level as a big guard who can really pass the ball, is a smooth shooter from deep and is athletic enough to make some plays in transition. Hughes is still battling to become a more consistently effective player, but his talent level is extremely intriguing as a skilled guard at 6’4, maybe even a little taller. Kent State, Akron, Cleveland State and even Dayton have already extended offers Hughes’ way, look for this pattern to continue into the fall.

See my post above - MAAR does fill the void for creation to a certain extent. Also, never said Hughes was a poor athlete, specifically said average athelte. However, we will only have 2 guys on the roster that are above average athletes in 15 as it currently stands…Walton & Dawkins. To be honest, the rest of our roster is average to below average in that regard. We need an upgrade in terms of footspeed/lateral agility in particular.

Michigan’s roster hasn’t really been filled with great athletes in recent years though. GR3 was the exception more than the norm. Key is always going to be to recruit to the offense and ideally find pieces that can do that, but are also good athletes. Just my two cents.

Michigan's roster hasn't really been filled with great athletes in recent years though. GR3 was the exception more than the norm. Key is always going to be to recruit to the offense and ideally find pieces that can do that, but are also good athletes. Just my two cents.

Your statement is the exact problem in a nutshell from my viewpoint. Mixing in better athletes (ie players that have more potential on the defensive end) with shooters will allow us to become a better program in the LONG run. Always value in a shooting, but there is just as much value in athleticism and defense. More diversity please

I don’t think the 4 scholarships are going to all guards and I doubt JB takes two shooters…I think he takes 1 shooter and 1 on-ball type. The thing with Frankie Hughes is he looks to be growing and has the base athleticism to become more than a shooter.

Not sure that I agree that Coleman is a creator and I suspect his game looked awfully similar to Frankie Hughes’ going into his junior year. I also like the THJR comparison but he isn’t stiff or up-right like Tim

Looks fine laterally and his length is a bonus

I seen that film earlier…from the Midwest Elite camp…now that is what you call poor competition. I think Hughes has some potential, and reminds me an awful lot of THJ in HS. If he grows, he’ll be a nice player for sure. But I’m just getting frustrated with the fact that our recruiting consistently caters to one dimensional players. How about shooters with abilty to create and/or athleticism?

Michigan's roster hasn't really been filled with great athletes in recent years though. GR3 was the exception more than the norm. Key is always going to be to recruit to the offense and ideally find pieces that can do that, but are also good athletes. Just my two cents.

Your statement is the exact problem in a nutshell from my viewpoint. Mixing in better athletes (ie players that have more potential on the defensive end) with shooters will allow us to become a better program in the LONG run. Always value in a shooting, but there is just as much value in athleticism and defense. More diversity please

I see your point. But Beilein will always value other aspects of the game over athleticism, and is more willing to trade offensive advantages over disadvantages. On the other side, his system has more attraction to players with good basketball IQ but average athleticism.

Like I said, holding out until 16, DT is the big fish we all want. Roughly 3-4 months ago I think we were all optimistic for a super class of DT, Battle, Leaf…and at this point I think we’d be lucky to get one of those players. Same thing in 15, we were all optimistic for Brunson, Coleman, Kennard…and we’re lucky if we get one.

I’m certainly not ready to say recruiting is the end all be all, because winning is certainly the name of the game, but there is a correlation if we’re realistic about it.

Don’t agree with Ben on much, but I will say this, we are having trouble obtaining our primary options…and contrary to popular belief, at least as it relates to 14 & 15 (15 not done yet though), we are not getting the players we initially want, we are going after other options because we are compelled to do so due to rejection. In my book, that is not called want, but NEED.

Have to say my cautiously optimistic outlook on recruiting for UM the last 2-3 years has turned into being slightly nervous. A nice 16 class will relieve that pressure, we have enough talent to bridge the gap until 16, but if we bring in second tier players in 16, I have a feeling we’re going to take a slight decline for a few years.

He has a ways to go to be a run/jump athlete like THJR but I cringed whenever THJR attempted a cross over a behind the back dribble…this kid has hesitations and is a better ballhandler already… that said, strength and tightening his dribble are a must. As far as athleticism, this kid has long arms but I know some aren’t big on length. Don’t see why he can’t be a similar athlete to LeVert and Stauskas… Don’t see why he can’t be a similar talent to Jalen Coleman or Eric Davis in 2 years. Guys like Tyus Battle and Jamal Murray have the same playing style so no huge difference there and UM would still have room for an athletic playmaker on the wing to go along with a shooter like Hughes.

Frankie Hughes is in complete takeover mode. It's scary what this kid can do when everything is clicking. High intensity on both ends

— Zach Fleer (@ZachFleerLGHL) August 16, 2014

'16 Garfield Heights SG Frankie Hughes making plays out in transition. Super athlete with a stroke. Very high upside

— Zach Fleer (@ZachFleerLGHL) August 16, 2014