Zak Irvin's struggles... Got to get better

“Lol” at a transition wide open three? Ok then.

Yeah exactly now he’s not because Walton has stepped up and into that role. Before his incredible spurt, who else could handle that role?

At the end of the day, agree to disagree here. I just see someone lacking confidence but not letting that affect his defense or team. I’ll keep rooting for him to break out of it. He’s accepted his secondary role to Walton and if he can find his rhythym again then I think the team has something going.

1 Like

“lol” because it was not close to wide open and he was out of control.

Not sure what the point of this comment is in relation to your argument. Walton’s doing fantastic and Irvin is still incompetent on offense.

I didn’t think Zak was a blackhole or anything nor did I think his shots were extremely bad.

This is more of an issue of JB not recruiting any decent wings in 3 consecutive classes than any indictment on Zak. He was never meant to be a playmaker and its not his fault if a roster is constructed with no depth when he is injured or sick.

So now that Walton is being a playmaker do you not agree that Zak should take a step back?

I would agree that Zak needs to scale back the quantity of mid range jumpers and off the dribble threes until he gets back into rhythm.

I honestly couldn’t care less if he took 12 shots if they were open looks in rhythm. I just cannot get behind him forcing crap up when there are definitively better options out there now.

He only took 8 shots today. He has scaled back. Walton is being allowed to be the guy. Seems like you want him to take no shots which is unrealistic. Once again, the issue is that JB did not develop any alternative in the 3 years he was given to do so.

Irvin has definitely taken a step back in terms of usage. 21% or less usage rate in last 5 games, 21% or more in previous 8 games.

I think he should take a step back to freshman year Zak…

I’d rather him take good, shots. Is this too unrealistic of a goal?

I already said it above, but I really couldn’t care less about the number of shots he takes. I care about the quality of them. 50% of your shots being good looks is not a good ratio.

Most of his shots were off the catch or late in the shot clock today weren’t they? Had a few good drives as well. A couple of early looks in transition, but really the point is he wasn’t close on any of them.

As I mentioned in the recap (http://www.umhoops.com/2017/02/12/game-25-michigan-indiana-recap/) he also had the 2nd highest +/-. Not sue what to make of that, and it is effected by just being on the floor so much, but also means that he was doing at least a few other things.

Yeah, I didn’t see too many bad shots. He just can’t connect.

I could’ve sworn you blasted me for mentioning plus minus 2 days ago. Must be getting amnesia.

I guess we can disagree on shot quality. To me, a fadeaway/step back contested 15-20 footer is a bad shot no matter what. Same with a covered three pointer 2 seconds into the shot clock with all his momentum going towards the baseline.

I literally noted in there that I’m not sure how much you can take from it. And I certainly don’t think I ‘blasted you’ when we were discussing defensive rating. My Twitter mentions are filled with people saying that Irvin should sit and I’m not sure that’s the case even if he’s struggling.

Sit in general? No. But concede minutes to X/Robinson? I don’t see why not.

I’m with you mostly here but I don’t think he needs to sit per say. Maybe four or five minutes less but I still really like his d and effort. I think Duncan is the superior offensive player and I love having his shot out there but our d looks way better with zak.

1 Like

I don’t think wolverheel is talking about usage. I think he’s talking about FGA relative to touches.

Usage = “A measure of personal possessions used while the player is on the court. Simply assigns credit or blame to a player when his actions end a possession, either by making a shot, missing a shot that isn’t rebounded by the offense, or committing a turnover.”

That’s basically what we are talking about right? How many shots/turnovers/assists Irvin is racking up while on the floor.

Less possessions are going through Irvin by design. It’s not like Irvin has become entirely more selective. He is still shooting more 3s than he should given his usage rate and 3pt percentage.