Zak Irvin's struggles... Got to get better

quick can someone list Zak’s eFG% and ortg

Fire JB tho

2 Likes
  1. It’s amazing what happens when you take good shots (And bank an incredibly lucky one in, thank you basketball gods).

2. You can’t be serious with this antagonistic BS.

3 Likes

About as serious as someone listing Zak’s ortg after a slump to persuade he is a bad offensive player.

Zak took the same shots as always. He was moving better, though, which kind of makes the sick/injured thing JB kept telling us over and over again seem legitimate and should have quelled overreactions like the ones in this thread.

1 Like

Couldn’t watch the first half so I’m limited but I thought from following on game track or whatever that most of his makes were at the rim? Then in the second half he had the crazy shot clock three that obviously can’t be called bad since he was forced into it, the wide open three, the dunk and then the long two point jumper? The shots I saw were much better than previous games, imo.

It wasn’t even just the scoring. He has tons of value as a creator (think JB stated this about Zak) and I thought that was clearly on display.

The part I saw it looked like he was trying hard to push the ball up the court for transition oppurtunities. Was he doing that all game?

Zak was great. Similar to most of the times Zak is great, Walton wasn’t. If somehow someway we can get the Zak we saw tonight the same time we have the Walton we saw the last 2 weeks we can be a damn good team.

3 Likes

Yup, he was making crisp and decisive passes off the bounce in general.

I actually agree with Guestavo that Zak pretty much took the same shots he always does. I actually think he probably took more “bad” shots this game than against IU. The difference was that he made some today. I almost prefer him taking wild shots off the dribble to layups in traffic. He gets blocked far too often.

His stonewalling Happ one-on-one in the post was a really impressive play. Zak battled hard today. I’m glad he bounced back.

3 Likes

Seriously. We can never get a good game out of each of them on the same night. It’s crazy

1 Like

Walton may have had a tough shooting night but he was really solid in all other phases tonight. I would say he did have a very good game.

I do see what you’re saying though, if they can both have good shooting nights, LOOK OUT!

2 Likes

Hayes got him a few times tonight, but I’m pretty sure Zak has been shooting >60% at the rim

You might be right. I’m just going off memory. I feel like since his back injury, he’s had an inordinate amount of shots near the rim blocked, and just missed quite a few, as well. If he is really above 60%, I must disproportionately be remembering the bad.

Your last sentence sums up a lot of how the fan base has treated Zak (and DWalt to some degree) his entire career

1 Like

65% for the season, based on these shot charts. But, and now I’m just guessing from the eye test, I’d bet you’re right in that he got a bunch swatted last year and shot a very low percentage at the rim. And maybe he still gets an abnormally high amount of his layup attempts blocked, meaning that blocks make up a large percentage of his (few) misses, I dont know. But 65% is super legit

What numbers can you cite that would support Zak Irvin being efficient over the past two seasons? I’ll wait.

Jeopardy music playing…

1 Like

He has me on ignore

1 Like

I liked his selection much better here. I thiught a few Indiana shots were forced . Once again I’m sticking with I don’t live zaks offensive game but his value is much greater than his offense. . His defense was amazing late. Also he literally saved the game when he was pushed out of bounce , somehow kept his balance , and then made an unreal dime. Hats off to him. I think he forced the block and the euro step lay up in transition. I was not upset about the euro miss though cause he still pulled it off and just went deep. He just had a few guys setting up wide open for three which I thought was a better option. I am not gonna sweat that though. My only rEal complaint was the alley oop pass that hit all glass. Not sure why he would do that and that could have been catastrophic had Walton not hustled down there. Make the easy pass. Don’t get so fancy or excited. These are the little things that separate losers and winners. Same with a few things down the stretch from others. Just hope in the celebration Belein drills that home. To keep on this steak and go on a run a team like also needs to make the right play 95 percent of the time.

Loved the d all around . We didn’t even play ver well and still won. I know they didn’t have Bronson but this shows the potential is there.