Zak Irvin's struggles... Got to get better

You literally said that he should pass up the shot if a better shooter is immediately open. So we agree he shouldn’t have taken that shot, right?

Up by 13 with 8 minutes to play on the road, I prefer to run the offense and use some clock. You start looking for “daggers” with bad shooters and that’s how you let a team close the gap.

Just because a guy is wide open doesn’t constitute it being a good shot. There are other factors to consider as well.

1. Time and score, what’s the shot clock at?
  2. How has he shot during the game?

A good shot can be totally different for another player and in the case of Zak it wasn’t a needed shot. It was a selfish shot by a player hoping to hit a shot so it could give him the green light for another shot “if he had hit it.” They were up 8 with 13 minutes left the shot wasn’t needed except in Zak’s mind.

This is why I responded to you. Not sure why it’s so hard to understand.

I know what the percentages say but I’d be curious to hear where JB would place Irvin on the rank of “best shooter” to worst on the roster.

I’d bet he would say:
Robinson
Walton
Irvin
Wilson
Wagner
MAAR

I dont think anything that Zak is doing is selfish or self-serving, and it’s not right to put that out there.

2 Likes

Statistics don’t support this.

Like… at all.

Yes, I understand why you responded to me. Thank you for the completely pointless clarification. In your response directly at me, I was told that I said Irvin’s open catch and shoot threes were bad shots. Blatantly lying. Thanks for your time.

Meanwhile, still crickets on this front.

I’d rather him pass that ball to Walton. That’s the ideal play. But he took an open catch-and-shoot 3. I really don’t mind that shot. Plus, when he started his shooting motion, Walton wasn’t wide open. He became wide open when Irvin was about to release the ball.

I just disagree about the transition 3 with that much time left.

You don’t think a 21 foot jump shot with 30 seconds on the shot clock up 13 with 8 minutes left with a poor shooter isn’t a selfish shot? What did he have to gain from that shot? Putting in the dagger??

Even if you look at the entire season (and not just conference play which magnifies his slump)

Irvin is 9th on the team in 3pt %
Irvin is 9th on the team in True Shooting %
Irvin is 9th on the team in Effective Field Goal %

And the numbers aren’t really that close, either.

1 Like

I know…I just can’t help but wonder if MAAR or Wagner or Wilson was in a slump like this, if they would have the public vote of confidence to keep shooting that Irvin does.

But I wouldn’t want JB to handle it any other way. I just wonder if the “name recognition” thing really is playing a role here

You’re having a really hard time keeping up here. Please tell me where I indicated that you said Irvin’s open catch-and-shoot 3s were bad shots?

And re: your quoted question, I already answered that. Please read the posts before you get yourself in a tizzy.

Nope. I dont think it was a great shot, but I dont think Irvin took it just to earn himself a green light to feed his ego. I think he thought it was a good shot, in transition, that would help the team win. You’re just creating a narrative by twisting a guy taking an imperfect shot, even though he’s in a slump

Yes, he should have passed the ball to Walton. Walton is a significantly better 3pt shooter.

I’m fine with Walton or Robinson taking that transition 3. Like wolverheel said, “good/bad shot” is different for different players. Irvin has been one of the worst three point shooters on the team this season.

It’s not so much about feeding his ego more about trying to get him off a slump but why would that type of shot be constituted as a good one? Not saying you’re saying that. I just believe even if the shot went in that’s fools gold. A shot 5 seconds into the clock from 20+ feet out from an inefficient shooter shouldn’t be considered a wise shot.

1 Like

I’m positive if MAAR or Wagner were shooting at Irvin’s percentages and took that transition 3, the vast majority of people would be considering it a bad shot.

I think I might have just “Liked” a post of yours for the first time in forum history.

1 Like

When Duncan Robinson was slumping JB was openly admonishing him for passing up shots. MAAR slumped pretty bad and JB was pretty supportive publicly, if I recall, though he said he wanted MAAR to stay aggressive getting to the tin. I’m not sure it’s really much different.

1 Like

I will debate people here cordially up to the point where complete lies are being used as their argument against me. If I don’t follow that then I will absolutely message them apologies (Guestavo and bebopson can verify this). People like you, however, will get zero respect from me.

Where did you say I thought they were bad shots? Oh I don’t know, perhaps when you said “That was my point. Some of those “bad shots” were open catch-and-shoot situations” in response to MY post (mine as in… Not Hail’s) that I quoted above? You’re a troll though, so I’ll let you have the last word since I really don’t want to waste my day arguing with someone like you.

1 Like

I’m not saying it was an especially wise shot, or a great decision on his part. I’m simply arguing his intentions were to help the team, not himself. I dont think he was intending to be selfish or undo his slump with a single shot. I think he merely caught a pass in transition, saw some space, and stepped into a shot.

1 Like