Where Are They Now? Evaluation Revisited

42.5% in conference play as well

We even missed with some of our Plan B targets. Eric Davis (who I was not a fan of), received an offer, and I’m certainly glad he didn’t accept lol

Murray, Svi and Brooks showed interest more than UM reciprocated

I can’t blame for missing on Kennard. I can say JB stumbled by continuing to recruit him when it was a wrap.

You wanted us to offer Jamal Murray, Sviat, and Dejounte Murray?

No kidding. That wasn’t exactly elite scouting, right?

Jamal Murray wound up at Kentucky, the same way most elite recruits do once Kentucky offers. See Devin Booker.

Dejounte Murray? Local Washington kid. Did his assistant coaching under a cheater (Jim Herrick), and has now somehow landed guys like Murray, Chriss and Fultz even though his team is crap. Count me skeptical that they are recruiting above board.

I HIGHLY doubt your first sentence. HIGHLY. Completely contrary to everything that’s been reported by those who cover the team and have contacts.

I know I’m still pretty brand new here, but I don’t know what it means for a kid to show interest, for a school to show interest, and how a kid’s interest is measurably more or less than a school’s.

1 Like

We don’t beg kids, or stay in constant contact, end of story.

1 Like

And yet no offer came…so thank you for making my point LOL. JB didn’t visit Murray once despite Murray listing UM as a top school a year and a half before Cal made first contact. Self and all the other schools showed up to the Nike Hoop Summit to watch Svi and Murray but guess who couldn’t be bothered?

But for that to be more than the level of interest the kid is showing, is the player tweeting or DMing coaches and not getting replies? Are they attending a game or visiting campus on their own, with no one from the program coordinating their visit? Aside from listing a school in a meaningless Top 8 list (or some such) how do these players show interest that is unmatched from Michigan?

If a kid lists you among maybe 2 or 3 schools and you are one of 2-3 visits then safe to say they take you seriously.

Don’t care what you doubt. And what it makes it even worse is that Murray visited and left with no offer. It took me watching a few EYBL games and film to know he was being under-recruited and ranked and should have been offered immediately… yet JB had no clue? Then he didn’t even use Nik’s POY campaign to his advantage.

Put it this way…schools like Louisville and Syracuse tried to get Murray to visit.

Players don’t need to show any interest initially. It is the job of the staff to show interest in the prospect, and even if said prospect isn’t overly receptive initially, then the staff should find a way to make the prospect receptive/interested, especially in the early going.

1 Like

A year and a half went by between Murray’s visit and JB finally getting out to watch him play. Problem is it was late in his senior year (everyone knew a reclass was coming) and he had already blown up. A year and a half.

How do you not make the Nike Hoop Summit with 2 five stars listing your program but can fly to Germany or go fly out to Northeast to talk to people about a D3 kid?

The 2014 and 2015 cycles were bad.

You’re isolating one or two classes, but you could do that for Izzo and Matta and come up with the same critiques, just for two examples. Not sure when Murray visited, but he reclassified in June 2015 and committed to UK a few days later. If he visited the prior summer of '14, we were looking at him as a '16 recruit. He blew up not long after that. Do you really think that offering him and pursuing him then would have made a difference? Why wouldn’t it have turned out just like Brunson?

Funny you mention Fultz. Another kid I was raving about when he was under ranked. Guess who was his first offer when he was a 3 star? Romar…he didn’t wait to offer Fultz a year and a half after he discovered him.

But we get it… blah blah blah cheaters, right? Relationships and interest isn’t playing into this.

Read earlier in the thread. MSU and OSU fans had no problem admitting that their coaches screwed up.

As for Murray, yes I do because relationships matter and he was prioritizing UM in a way that no other school was getting attention. There was the chance UK is never a consideration if JB connects with him over that year and half stretch.

I mean Jaylen Brown, PJ Dozier, Svi, Murray, etc all throwing hints to the staff

Sure UK and Duke will swoop in and steal their share but how do you not put yourself in the best position with an early offer and actually connect with the recruit:

https://twitter.com/MarcusHelton/status/634871857301311488

Yeah, I’m not sure there’s much else to say in this debate. I don’t think this is one that either side will change their opinion on.

I’ll jump in with a couple. I was one of the guys hoping for a late offer to Mike Edwards a couple years back. I thought he would be a good fit at the 5 for us as a high energy guy that can get boards, set screens and slam some put-backs. He has been pretty middling at Georgia.

I did want us to offer Kyle Guy though. Indiana kid camped at UM and we passed because the staff liked Langford, Battle ect better. He is outplaying both of those guys at UVA, and obviously every freshman on our roster.

1 Like