Where Are They Now? Evaluation Revisited

I beg to differ in one regard, our staff had a tremendous record of finding gems that other teams overlooked. Not so much recently, in fact, the guys that were not gems/overlooked, can be labeled misevaluations to the extent that perhaps Michigan valued them too much. On the flip side, the supposed gems haven’t been that.

I don’t hold other B1G programs to the standard I’d expect from JB when it comes to instate recruits. Sure it may be an academic or personality issue here or there, but in many instances, he simply misevaluated or did not dedicate the resources to recruit them.

Utah is a school that evaluates Michigan well, as does Xavier, and when they offer then JB should take notice.

Why is Daniels being 3 hours away from Ann Arbor a factor that makes passing on Daniels more egregious for us than any other B1G school within 3 hours or so taking a pass on him? I mean, he ended up in Utah.

Because being an instate school means something to an extent.

You’re trying to tip-toe you’re way out of liability on behalf of Michigan, which I understand.

Bottom line - Michigan and Michigan State have closer proximity to Daniels in relation to those other schools, meaning more opportunity to view Daniels live, build in-person relationships, etc. To that extent they had a huge leg up in terms of evaluation, and ultimately his recruitment. Both schools failed miserably on the evaluation front and lost out on a player that appears to be on an All American trajectory.

1 Like

Perhaps to some kids more than others. Aren’t there a lot of kids in that part of the state who are ND fans?

Not about who the kids like in this particular case, the context is whether Michigan had an advantage in terms of evaluation, and simply misevaluated. In this case, the answer is yes to both.

I agree the top ranked guys on our board have not lived up to expectations. I’ve been beating that drum since last year.

But certainly Wilson and Wagner are proving to be great finds. And I know you disagree, but on a team with 1-2 creators, Robinson would be an outstanding perimeter weapon. If he was playing with Burke, or Nik, he would easily average 12-13 and shoot near 50% on threes.

1 Like

Not much, though. They may have been wrong to evaluate Ibi over Daniels, but you go with who you think is the best player. That’s what they did (unless there was another factor). Ibi was from Caris’ high school. We have great relationships in Ohio and have benefitted from that. That might be just as important as in-state v. out of state. And we did take Livers from the same school a year later. Also, Daniels played his senior year at a basketball academy in California created by Josh Jackson’s mom for Josh Jackson.

1 Like

But again, there are guys every year that end up being good. Considering the wings we were targeting in 2014 and 2015, you really wanted us to offer Sumner? You were definitely not saying that at the time, as far as I remember.

Hindsight is 20/20. There are probably 10 kids in Michigan this year who will do something in college. You can’t offer every one of them. In two years, I don’t want to hear you say “we should have offered Hardy” unless you say it now.

1 Like

Totally agree here. Don’t disagree at all.

Painter and Matta have been pretty good talent evaluators and recruiters. Painter didn’t offer GR3, the son of Purdue’s best player ever, and Matta didn’t offer Burke, a hometown kid who played with his prize recruit Sullinger. Inexact science.

1 Like

I was too busy screaming to offer Dillon brooks, Jamal murray, dejounte Murray, shake Milton, etc

So I still did better than a haul of maar, dawkins, dj and dr :slight_smile:

And Matta was critiqued for misevaluating talent and ignoring in state prospects…something you are unable to do with JB :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re trying to bring up other coaches misevals in order to mitigate JB’s liability for the same. You can’t say he’s been a tremendous evaluator for X amount of years but not be willing to say he’s been sub-par for the last 3 years. C’mon man be realistic here.

1 Like

I use to visit OSU hoops forums. They didn’t hesitate to criticize the misses on Burke, Caris, Aaron White, Nigel Hayes, etc…at least Matta was signing 5 stars and the Ohio hm talent pool is larger so misses are more understandable.

Dude, come on, those guys did not choose other schools due to the lack of a formal offer from Michigan.

1 Like

This is exactly what I’m talking about lol.

Yep, just continued damage control. Just accept the fact that evaluation has been poor over the past 3-4 years, admit it, and move on.

1 Like

I think you’re totally mischaracterizing what I’ve said. I fully agree that for the last three years, he has not gotten the job done when it comes to talent evaluation. End of story. He has had a few good finds, but on the whole, we don’t have the talent we need. But I also think it’s completely misleading and unrealistic to point out guys none of you thought were worth offering in the first place, except for Daniels of course, and say we should have targeted those guys. Again, take a stance now on Hardy. Offer him, or not?