Vs Nebraska game thread

I’m starting to think DJ & Mo’s offensive emergence is the primary cause of Walton & Irvin’s struggles…Irvin is doing a better job overall adjusting than Walton is but Walton kind of went from our #1 or 2 option to the clear #4 option on offense. Zak’s doing a pretty good job today (6 assists already) but it also seems like the two of them have done a more consistently good job today of finding Mo and DJ, giving them the space they need and not forcing up bad shots as soon as they get the ball

1 Like

This opponent 3% is definitely beyond absurd

1 Like

GET A REBOUND please

Game looks like its being called way tighter now.

I never see hedges split unless I’m watching a Michigan game

Apparently a step-back contested long 2 is a good shot, against us. Ugh

1 Like

The band is playing the Game of Thrones theme. balllllin

Well, that’s a relief

Wasn’t able to catch the game. Just looked at the box score - we shot 50% from three, shot 25 more FTs and still only won by 5?

What the hell happened out there?

They got to the rim at will…the entire game. Our offense was good enough to beat it

1 Like

Well, that’s better than the alternative

1 Like

To put it simply, it was a great offensive day for us and Watson/Webster.

Can anybody speak as to whether Donlon was active/vocal?

I didn’t notice anything from him that was more demonstrative than the last few games. We played a few possessions of 2-3 zone but that was the only noticeable defensive change

Seems like we regressed back to distant hedges, and neither Mo/the on-ball guard are any good at it.

The first time we went into the 2-3 zone they got a bucket at the end of the first half.

Then when we switched to it in the 2nd half, they hit 3s on back to back possessions.

Our defense is helpless. 1-3-1, terrible. 2-3, terrible. Man, terrible.

1 Like

Illinois game: worst post defense in the conference
Nebraska game: worst perimeter defense in the conference
Every game: Best 3pt% shooting game of the conference

1 Like

I thought there was a little glimmer of hope the way they played the last 10 minutes when the game was close.

To my eye, they had Moe sag off the screen instead of hedge. That led to the long twos or threes. It at least forced tougher shots and led to stops. Nebraska made a few tough threes and long twos during that span.

I Some thoughts on the game. Nebraska isn’t very good I’m shocked they were doing well . I predict they will finish near the bottom.

As for us it’s tricky. I still think the team is sloppy and underachieving. Our defense is really bad. Not sure how much it will improve, if they can just defend harder and tougher and get the defense up to bad instead of terrible we could end up winning a lot of games.

Why? Because I truly believe this offense could be very good. It scores 80 with ease and I don’t even think their playing that well. That says something. What’s dangerous is there are 7 guys who can put up 15 to 20 on u any given night. For us to reach that potential they just have to share the rock go to who’s hot and keep moe heavily involved and move the rock. We also need Derrick to keep involved. I still think that trying to work so much through Zak is a mistake. He’s to all over the place. I’d rather his offense come more naturally. He has poor timing with a lot of his bad choices or trying to force it playing hero ball. Wasted possessions. That said he has a good role he can fill. I’d like to see him at ten shots a game. More of a facilitator role and then help on boards and play tough d. Stat lines of like 10 6 and 4 with tough d sound much better. Dj is a revelation on offense. I’d love for him to keep trying to crash though and get garbage put backs. We also need the Maar of the first half. Looking to attack. If we can get him confident and looking to score then this lineup can kill u at all angles. Add in Duncan’s threes ball and hopefully Donnell gets some looks ( he can shoot and roles hard) and man this offense could be so good. It’s all being confident and playing smart. Sharing the ball and pressuring the d with smart choices/ hard cuts, penetration ect.

Let’s hope Derrick finally woke up and said enoughs enough. I’m not going out like this. He was ranked top fifty for a reason. The kid has the ability. He needs to stay confident and want it. I really thought he’d be a great one after his frosh year. I’d love for him to rewrite the story.

Very homerific take