Upcoming Season

I really like the Walton/Simpson backcourt idea at times. That could be really really good.

Iā€™ll sign up right now for 6 and 4 from what weā€™re guessing is our third player off the bench (after x and a center).

Xavier Simpson, the PG of the future, might give Michigan what it needs now

Still think he would have been very useful this year. I still think you will hear big things from Aubrey. His d was bad but we didnā€™t use him properly on offense either so you couldnā€™t see him do what heā€™s good at which is catching and shooting. Should have thrived with Beilein.

SI projects Irvin with a 110.9 ORtg, 23% usage and 85% of minutes. He had a 97.7 ORtg and 22.7 usage last year

1 Like

I love that Xavier has some moxie and a little edge. The roster needs more of this.

I think a lot of people would quibble with your use of ā€œveryā€ in that opening sentence.

Can he be useful when an offense is stagnant and needs a ā€œshot in the armā€ ā€¦ absolutely.

Is that a useful option to have on a bench? Yes, if scholarship room permits (which it would for Michigan this season).

But Dawkins is not as consistent a force on offense as Duncan Robinson and it is too difficult to hide two players who struggle on defense the way Dawkins and DRobinson did last season. So the struggle to get Dawkins minutes would have been real this season. And therein lies the distinction between Dawkins being a useful situational option and Dawkins being a ā€œvery usefulā€ player, IMO.

If SI is correct, and Zak is about 13% more efficient than he was last year, that bodes very well for us. One of our biggest problems last year was that our two highest usage guysā€“Irvin and Waltonā€“were inefficient on offense. Significant jumps from them, combined with even incremental improvement defensively, would help a lot, irrespective of other anticipated areas of improvement.

1 Like

See I disagree there. Duncan went through a major slump, u didnā€™t see that from Aubrey really. Give him a few shots and he WILL catch, even his misses looked good. Duncan when he went cold late in the year was just super cold. Will that happen again, maybe not, hopefully he was just adjusting.

I get the rest of the point though so I get what your saying. I just truly believe Aubrey will be an elite scorer at s fla. as optimistic as I am about our team I have nightmares of Walton and Irvin not putting it together consistently from deep, and this is where I think aubreys scoring ability will be missed/ should have been used more last year.

Hopefully the scoring droughts are behind us.

@umhoops Will there be video from the open practice for those who canā€™t attend? :smile_cat:

1 Like

SI preview is high on U-M, thinks Irvin has a bounce back shooting year.

2 Likes

Best player on our team. A great year is ahead for him.

Will you be at the open practice tonight?

The open practice is being live-streamed on the Michigan Basketball Facebook page right now.
The bad news is I flipped it on and the first 5 plays I saw were:

1. X Simpson turnover
  2. Andrew Dakich and one
  3. Ibi Watson turnover
  4. DJ Wilson missed three
  5. Sean Lonergan offensive rebound and foul

Lol

2 Likes

I wonder what ā€œready to contributeā€ means.

that is grossā€¦

1 Like

From the front page

My observations from this video/facebook:

1. Simpson will be a useful player as long as his shooting is competent.
  2. Irvinā€™s verticality looks the same
  3. DJ still looks unaggressive, clearly lacks lateral agility to hold up well on D on the perimeter. I think Ibi will end up winning that position battle for the most part.
  4. Wagner can shoots 3s. Bodes well for the pipedream if we land Bamba.
  5. Davis was on the scout team, maybe means Teske is currently leading in the position battle?
1 Like

Teske had a nice block on Charles in the 3v2. I thought he was gonna be on a poster but he ended up blocking it.

1 Like