Upcoming Season

Good questions:

1. Walton, MAAR, Robinson, Irvin, Mo, Donnal, X, DJ
  2. Irvin
  3. DJ (hopefully!)
  4. Mo
  5. Irvin/Walton/Mo
  6. 10-8

Although I am not that optimistic about this season, my barometer for success involves winning at least a couple big games against the rivals theyā€™ve struggled to beat, esp. MSU, Indiana, Wisconsin, and OSU to a lesser extent. Or at least: protect the home floor and no blow-out losses! Taking care of business against the dregs of the league and losing against actual good teams is getting kinda boring. I am circling the UCLA game too since that is a poorly coached team and a pretty tame road environment.

In terms of individual milestones, Iā€™d like to see:

• Better shot selection from Irvin
  • The spring back in Waltonā€™s step that he had in Year 1
  • MAAR with the green light to attack the rim (and better passing in the PNR)
  • A longer leash (& preferably a starting spot) for Wagner
  • Teske showing some rim-protecting potential (I am hoping he doesnā€™t have to RS)
  • Something, anything, from Wilson
  • More transition, more defense, more dunksā€¦ I hope we have at least one guy who can finish a lob

Lots of good points. I know itā€™s not our mo but Iā€™d really like too see us push the tempo and fast break more

2 Likes

The biggest issues with the current roster construction for this season will be depth and athleticism (or lack thereof). You need quality depth to really compete night in and night out. We might have only 2 reliable guys off the bench (Wagner and/or Donnal and Simpson). That will put a huge strain on the starters. Staying healthy is going to be huge for this team. I really donā€™t think we can afford anyone to go down for extended time given the lack of quality depth.

3 Likes

I think we have a very solid 8 and we want those guys healthy but I do think IBI and Teske might be capable of contributing in a way that wonā€™t hurt too much if we get hit by one or two injuries. Anybody else agree?

1 Like

Was shocked that Irvin graded out this highly on the list.

2 Likes

I agree with your points. I think they reflect the impact of accumulated issues in recruiting (both misses and priorities) and player development. This would be a deep and experienced team were it not for the major attrition after last season. Lack of athleticism will also be a problem, as you point out ā€“ this might be the first M squad I can remember without a single ā€œeliteā€ athlete (aside from Matthews who is ineligible).

Still, I donā€™t think this needs to be a ā€œrebuildingā€ season and really hope that they can make something happen with their veteran core and talented backup PG. Personally, I am interested in seeing who emerges as a go-to guy beyond the ā€œcoreā€ of Irvin/Walton ā€“ I look forward to MAAR, Wagner, Robinson, and maybe X getting the opportunity to step up as leaders. I also hope that Irvin and Walton are 100% healthy and finally live up to the promise they showed as freshmen. If they do, this team could surprise some people. Not expecting it, but wouldnā€™t rule it out either ā€¦ as long as Donlon gets them to play some defense.

Thatā€™s encouraging. Shows that Irvinā€™s passing was as good as the eye test indicated. Is there any way to split his PNR FGAs by shot location? Iā€™d be willing to bet he had a .9-1 on jumpers off the PNR but something atrociously bad on attempts at the rim. Seemed like he was getting swatted on literally every shot in the paint. Hopefully the lack of explosion can be partially explained by injury?

Zakā€™s problems finishing at the rim in B1G play and a few 3 point clunkers (as well as his horrendous 3 pt shooting start to the season), made it hard to see a lot of things he did pretty well, such as averaging 13 pts, 5 rebs, 3 assts in B1G play (38% from 3). He was pretty good curling over the top from 3 or all the way to the elbow. Assuming heā€™s also fully healthy this year, he could have a better year than some people seem to think.

1 Like

Terrific article, Dylan. If Zak can, indeed, improve on finishing at the rim, it would mean a huge amount for our chances this year.

Totally agree, which is why I am really disappointed they did not add a grad transfer. We could easily be in a position of having a walk-on playing important minutes for the third year in a row.

1 Like

We really need to get something out of DJ Wilson this year and Ibi is going to have to play.

1 Like

Dunno about Watson but I agree itā€™s pretty much now or never for DJ.

1 Like

X is 13 months younger than DJ. If X is not productive this year will we be saying the same thing about X next October? I hope not.

DJ has 3 years. Kaminsky, for example, improved a little bit between his Freshman and Junior season.

With all the attrition from his class, I think itā€™s fair to expect that those who remain be able to contribute in some way by their third year in the program ā€“ otherwise, what does it really say about recruiting and player development at Michigan.

On the bright side, I think X will contribute before we even get to the Big Ten slate, even if he doesnā€™t really need to behind Walton. Not saying heā€™ll be Trey Burke but heā€™ll be good. (And in the very slim chance that he IS the second coming of Burke as a freshman ā€“ not entirely impossible given his 60-point games in high school ā€“ he should be starting.)

This is DJā€™s 3rd year. If he is going to show anything at all it will begin to happen this year or he will need to have surgery to remove the splinters that he will accumulate from sitting on the bench.

2 Likes

Strongly agree with that last graph, especially regarding two guys who were quite exhausted at the end of last year. But some here have opined that even marginal improvement from Robinsonn could be very helpful. And maybe the new emphasis brings collective dividends.

Age is certainly a huge factor, but studies have shown that the biggest jump in productivity is freshman to sophomore year. A year of work with college coaches, learning the college system, and and full off-season of S&C is a big deal.

With a lower ceiling, mostly due to physical limitations, Donnal turned a corner midway through his RS Junior season.

I think about all of the big men Izzo has that develop at a snails pace and then turn out good their Senior year.

3 Likes

I think DJ needs to learn what is a good shot vs. what is a bad shot.

Then he needs to realize with Walton, MAAR, Robinson, and Irvinā€¦his role isnā€™t scoring in volume.
Attack the basket. Get boards on both ends. Take advantage of mismatches. Post defense. Alter shots. Tip balls. Dive on the floor. And occasionally hit an open 3.

5 Likes