Upcoming Season

Pretty sure he predicted 8 wins before.

@umhoops I loved this quote in your game recap:
ā€œitā€™s tough to deny that this was the kind of game that could forge an entirely different identity for a group of players thatā€™s nearly identical, but feels so different.ā€

You absolutely hit the nail on the head. Itā€™s amazing to think that these are the same players, give or take some bench guys, but it absolutely feels like a totally different team.

After this SMU game, I might revise my conference expectations. Particularly since the conference has looked horrible so far.

1 Like

Yes when I noticed he end still out there I was hoping weā€™d pursue him.

Iā€™m still very interested in Donnie Tillman if we miss on bamba. Very interesting skill set for our roster.

2 Likes

YI feel like they all as a group have hit it more this year but I agree it could still be better. When they hit the roll everything opens up and suddenly beileins offense looks unguardAble.

Out of all the positives the one thing that makes me nervous is the 5 minute droughts that happen twice a game. If we are going to reach our potential we need to figure that out.

Iā€™ve really liked zach this year but when we go on droughts zach in particular is trying to do too much and over dribbling or taking a bad look. Thank god that three rolled because he was terrible on that possession, thatā€™s the thing he needs to avoid or this group as a whole needs to avoid to succeed.

Other then that Iā€™m very happy. I also am starting to think if we canā€™t add a 17 that Donall getting the fifth year might be a good idea really love our front courts skills as a trio. I love Ibi too. Another steal. Thinking we may be happy battle passed after all

You apparently watched a different Arizona game than I did.

1 Like

From your lips to JBā€™s ears. Donnie would be a great late-add consolation prize if we didnā€™t get Bamba. Strong, athletic, in-state wing with an incredible motor. I donā€™t think heā€™s redundant with Matthews or Livers as I think heā€™s more versatile and could play either the three or the four comfortably. I was going to say heā€™s a poor manā€™s Miles Bridges, but actually I think heā€™s a middle-class manā€™s Miles Bridges.

1 Like

I donā€™t see Michigan taking another four in this class in addition to Livers, especially with DJ Wilson emerging as such a legitimate option at the position.

2 Likes

Give up on Donnie Tillman coming to M. Not remotely happening.

Except I think heā€™s a three who can also play the 4. Obviously Bamba is the first, second, and third priority. That said, I always think itā€™s a more interesting to discuss who might make a great fit (as Sly did) and not simply limit the discussion to who the program is actively looking at. As the first person who suggested Matthews might come to UM when others thought an athletic Kentucky wing with a broken shot would be the last guy JB would look at, you really never know how things will shake out.

1 Like

This is a breakdown of every single one of his points.

Transition - Alley-oop
Spot-up Three
Transition - Drive off Closeout
Offensive Rebound
Halfcourt - Drive off Closeout
Transition - Alley-oop
High-post back to the basket, spins around man into a drive
Halfcourt - Alley-oop
Halfcourt - Drive off Closeout (Free throws no FGM)
Isolation while being guard by a center

Four of his points against Arizona were in any sort of offensive creator situation and half of them were while being guarded by a 7 footer.

I think itā€™s just gonna end up being Bamba or Mark IMO. But I could be wrong. We wonā€™t really have any clear idea until after the season is over since JB doesnā€™t really recruit in-season.

Your working too too hard on this. Virtually all experts are on my side. Letā€™s sit back and see.

[apparently, for you, some types of baskets count more than others]

1 Like

Donnal ainā€™t coming back. Just donā€™t see it. I never get any sense from Coach Beilein that itā€™s seriously under consideration. I think Coach Beilein thinks he can get as much or more out of Davis and Teske next season
I like the way Donnal is pushing Wagner. Donnal probably deserves to starting,

College basketball ā€œexpertsā€ and MSU beat writers think what you think and frankly they donā€™t know shit. Thereā€™s a reason why Bridges isnā€™t being touted as a lotto pick right now by the draft media. If Bridges had high-level guard skills, he would be going #1.

Itā€™s not that some baskets count for more. Iā€™ve been very clear on my stance with Bridges:

Bridges is way better than Irvin. Irvin is probably better suited to a high-usage offensive role because of his mid-range game, but heā€™s not THAT good at it. Bridges is a great rebounder/defender and can contribute on offense with energy/cuts to the baskets/offensive rebounds/etc. I think Bridges has been massively overrated by most of the media, but he is still a very very valuable player. Heā€™s gonna be forced into a higher usage role than he should be because of MSUā€™s youth and lack of creators, but the rest of his game is better than what Irvin provides, IMO.

Wowā€“youā€™re a little too invested in this. The season will speak for itself.

I have to say my outlook for this season has completely turned. Iā€™m extremely optimistic after watching the early season going.

Wagner and Wilsonā€™s emergence totally changes the dynamic of this team. Add in Xā€™s potential as a bulldog defense PG potential and this team all of a sudden has a densifive identity.

1 Like

Great argumentšŸ‘Œ

Forums are literally for discussion. Disagreements, if kept civil, are good for that.

2 Likes

I am now really pumped up about this team. How the hell did they get so much better at defense from Game 2 to 3?

3 Likes

Billy has done wonders for this team already. So excited to see us in a month or so.

1 Like