Upcoming Season

Yea, it seems like JB would be coach of the year if we made it to the final four…Dakich has a good basketball mind, in my opinion. It actually does not seem to be his style to give preferential treatment to his son’s team. He has seemed brutally honest in the past when he has covered our games…I have a hard time resisting the temptation to assume that he is basing his opinion on firm insider knowledge of the rise of some of our key players. Wagner? MAAR? Wilson? X? I also wonder if he has inside knowledge about specific role changes. Lead guard? Dakich really seems to understand guard play and Dakich was high on MAAR last year…I want to say he was critical of Walton and Irvin too but I might be making that part up.

However Dakich arrived at his prediction it is a good sign…

He might just be picking that Michigan has an overachieving tournament-run to the Final Four I guess?

1 Like

I would have to look at who he predicted the previous years for his final four predictions and how many he hit on.

1. Walton, MAAR, Robinson, Irvin, Mo (X, Donnal, Watson)
  2. Walton
  3. MAAR
  4. Watson
  5. Irvin, Walton, Mo
  6. 12-6

Yea, I just checked his predictions from last year. Dakich did predict JB as coach of the year.

I have big ten network but not plus. Anyway to watch the game got free tomorrow

Dakich in his march madness bracket last year had Michigan going to the Final Four. Not sure if that has more to do with his son being on the team or not.

1 Like

It is definitely an issue. I think this is largely because of the most recent seniors that graduated in May being the last class that saw the Final Four run, and the success of the football team. This is really not good, though.

It now makes more sense that Dakich got so much playing time last year. j/k

1 Like

Unclaimed tickets are made available to non-season ticket holders, so the numbers might increase some, though probably not a lot.

1 Like

Why 2016-17 could be John Beilein’s finest hour at Michigan, or …

DJ’s coming out party today…it feels like we have 7 starters in the rotation this year

1 Like

Duncan needs to figure things out real quick. He has looked awful on offense and defense. Dj started the second half over him.

2 Likes

Looking like what happened with Aubrey Dawkins last year.

I’m not too worried about Duncan. Even if DJ takes his starting spot he’ll still have an important role. I actually liked his drives today, and the guy’s a proven double digit per game scorer at this level. The nice thing is we have enough guys this year to play the hot 5 each game and hold guys like Duncan accountable for poor defense.

Until this team makes a commitment to at least try and limit their opponents dribble drive penetration, it will be very difficult to finish in the upper echelon of the B1G this year. Marquette game will be measuring stick as to any supposed progress.

2 Likes

I thought everything was much better today. Iupui was actually pretty decent.

Couple other things. It’s pretty clear Duncan isn’t the best option imo. I think he’s much better option on the second unit. Time to go big. Dj is clearly the best four. Id like to see Duncan playing 15 minutes a game. Give Ibi his other 5-10. i think Ibi can contribute now.

I’d also love to see more touches to moe on the block. He always makes a nice move even if he misses. Overall I was much happier today. Donnal was solid. Walton and Irvin took good shots.

2 Likes

Duncan coming off the bench is a much better idea for this team. I don’t know what happens to him but he can’t be out there 30 minutes playing like he is. The way dj is rebounding and altering shots, we need that on the floor with the starting unit.

1 Like

I think that our frontcourt has potential to be the second best front court unit in the B1G after Wisconsin. Donnal and Wagner both have been playing solid and have shown flashes and DJ had 14 rebounds today. 14!!!

1 Like

I want Duncan in the 25 minute range. Ibi playing over him is not ideal IMO. Also DJ needs to prove he can make this type of impact against real competition before we completely write off a guy who scored 11 a game last year.

1 Like