The State of UM Basketball

Yes, Robinson does too frequently squander a decent look at the arc and end up with a defender sitting in his lap and the offense back to square one. He needs to act more decisively.

1 Like

Agreed - I think DWalt has openly shown frustration with Duncan in-game, letting him know he has to shoot those.

3 Likes

Beilein has been talking about it for weeks. He wants him to catch and shoot, not survey the defense. Habits are hard to break.

2 Likes

Walton hAs thrown up his hands numerous times towards zak over the last month. I was happy to see he was letting him know his mistakes. Hope he does it to everyone. His ball career is on the line and he knows it.

That said can we get x more time? D Walt is playing so hard when heā€™s out there he needs more rest. Often heā€™s been getting no second half rest and their skipping over x in the rotation or playing him like a minute thirty. I know subbing should be situational but Iā€™d love to see d walts minutes down to 30-32.
He plays to hard to go for 35-38, with no second half break.

Agreed, Duncan needs to keep cutting hard back door too. With the way they overplay him he often gets a step on guys. Also he isnā€™t half bad at putting it on the deck and driving. He often beats his guy off the dribble. If he can mix this into his game he will be very tough to guard. Look at how reddick did it in the nba. Now he can at least threaten a drive and it really opens up his shot/ scoring.

1 Like

The tease continues. Couple trends I notice. As long as moe avoids foul trouble and gets touches, he will get hot, he will score and he will cause the opponents a great deal of trouble making our offense almost impossible to guard. Itā€™s essential heā€™s on the floor.

The teams effort is up big time, leading to our hot play. Although we are weak interiorly and not an elite d, when they play with energy and tough they can mask it. Our d is actually much better than most realize. A lot of it is effort. Some improvement mentally obviously.

Same with d rebounds. How many times today did the whole team fight for fifty fifty balls or just get a hand in to tip it out so Purdue didnā€™t get an easy two? This is something that didnā€™t occur against Ohio st for example. Countless times it was a group effort to go get the board or tip it away to safety. Refuse to lose basically. If they play with that effort and toughness it can limit easy buckets for the other team and hides our major weaknesses. Great help d today, ran guys off the three and didnā€™t give up on a lot of plays that made Purdue miss a lot of should be baskets.

As a whole theyā€™ve really played great since Ohio st. Even in our one loss it was never die and took crazy circumstances for us to lose on the road. If big ten play started over again id say we had a shot to win it with the effort

1 Like

Offense up to 8th in the country per Kenpom.

2 Likes

Also more x please. Kid looks great all of a sudden. He can be trusted for 15 a game easy. Let Walton get down to 32. Maar too.

Iā€™ve been happy with Donalls effort off the bench but he never looks at the hoop anymore when on the pop. Heā€™s often wide open or the big is really far off him. Doesnā€™t he remember heā€™s a pretty damn good face up shooter? Also Iā€™ve noticed the guys donā€™t hit him when heā€™s open off the p n pop as much as say moe. My question is why? Heā€™s going to hit it fifty fifty wide open. Swing it to him and if he doesnā€™t shoot it get in his face. He could still be a valuable asset for 6-8 points a game off the bench. Also when he hits a few he gets revved up and starts playing harder/ tougher all around which is key for this roster and bench. Particularly with our foul trouble issues. If he steps up our bench starts to almost be pretty strong.

Rant over. Excited once again. Love college hoops and Michigan.

Xavier Simpson is a Lightning bolt, I imagine he always has been, now heā€™s becoming a Lightning bolt with great fundamentals, and they will only get better with the great coaching he receives. Both 3 pointers he assisted on had the blueprint of Coach Beilein fundamentals on them. Drive, draw two defenders, jump stop, make an easy pass to a wide open shooter. Beautiful.

1 Like

He came to Ann Arbor with some swagger and seemed to come up against the ā€œwhat he didnā€™t knowā€ wall. Now weā€™re seeing, with a narrow playbook, a little bit of what he can bring. Hereā€™s hoping he continues to grow because he looks like a player who wants to lead an attacking offense.

X can hit tough layups, but better than that, he has the ability, with his speed and shiftiness, to get layups that arenā€™t that tough. Heā€™s also a good and willing passer. His shooting has looked better but that will be what could hold him back. Heā€™s still got quite a slow release and almost a set shot it looks like.

1 Like

This stat is incredible

4 Likes

And I actually think they havenā€™t reached their offensive potential.scary how good it could be

1 Like

Doesnā€™t matter, weā€™re not dynamic.

7 Likes

Also, the 2013/14 team that made the Elite 8 was 3rd in the county in Offensive Efficiency and 88th in defensive efficiency post tournament. I canā€™t check pre-tournament because my Kenpom just expired and my PayPal is down.

We currently sit at 7th and 93rd respectively.

1 Like

Not to mention weā€™re doing it with Irvin being more or less a non-factor. Wagner has been outstanding lately.

The only person who can stop moe is the refs and his propensity for bad fouls and sometimes questionable calls

2 Likes

Beileinā€™s system has been notoriously tough for Freshmen to excel within, even at WVa, Richmond, etc ā€” makes the Burke & Hardaway freshman seasons all the more impressive, IMO. When Beilein was hired at UM, I remember reading past players of his commenting that it normally takes 15-18 mos to really feel comfortable with all his offensive reads/calls/details.

Based on that ā€” and the glimpses we are seeing now ā€” I would expect to see a much more complete version of Simpson next season. And I would expect some fans to be down on Brooks when he likely struggles with the nuances of the Beilein system next season.

Hereā€™s a graph showing Michiganā€™s opponentā€™s Points Per 100 Possessions relative to their opponentā€™s Adjusted Offensive Rating. For example, we held Marquette 35.8 (points/100poss) below their offensive average! Conversely, we allowed UCLA to score 33.2 and @Illinois to score 32.8 (points/100poss) above their average! (We later held Illinois 21.3 below their averageā€¦quite a swing!)

We were pretty good defensively after the 1st 9 games (Dylan wrote in the UCLA recap that our AdjD had dropped from #34 to #60), very bad the next 9 games (I believe they plummeted to #184 after Nebraska), but have been pretty good since (back up to #92 on kenpom). Hopefully we can continue the latest trend and not have any wild swings like previously in the season.

Another note, we all know how well Derrick Walton has been playing. He has an Offensive Rating of 123.6, using 22.2% of possessions, Assist Rate 22.8, TO Rate 13.7.

Relatively, in 2014 Stauskas was 124.1, 23.9%, 18.8, 14.0.

Burkeā€™s POY season: 121.2, 29.0%, 37.3, 13.4.

6 Likes

Those are full-year statistics on D Walt, yes? Great analysis.