The State of UM Basketball

Scrolling up seems to work fine for me

So no metric?

I thought you were a numbers guy.

A “numbers guy” knows numbers don’t capture everything. Anyways, I’ve had enough of entertaining you for today.

College Basketball Dynamism Rating

So what you’re saying is that even if we were #1 in the efficiency rankings, we still could not be “dynamic” enough offensively, whatever that means, because we do not have NBA guards and have a bad defense. I’m sorry, but that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

1 Like

By objective and tangible measures, our offense is fine. You should come up with a formula for measuring “dynamism” so it can be an objective metric and not subjective rambling.

The mental gymnastics some will do to refrain from giving credit where credit is due is pretty hilarious.

2 Likes

Well first its important to ask has there ever been a #1 in offensive efficiency ranking without an NBA guard? Did this team have a great defense? Answer those two questions first then we can continue.

We shouldn’t hire Greg McDermott because his offenses aren’t dynamic enough. Someone ask me to prove this, please.

UNC last year

2 Likes

Justin Jackson?

Is a guard?

1 Like

I don’t think our offense is s problem but I think they are still not reaching their offensive potential, which is scary to think about. Such s good/ balanced group of scorers that it’s impossible imo to guard us if everyone just played with confidence/ intelligence.

I disagree with guestavo though about not being dynamic. I think this unit really could be. Their starting to figure it out more with a few more post ups,running out and with maar and Walton looking to drive. Ucla first half and the first Indiana game was ridiculous. They showed in those two their potential to be one of the best offenses in the country.

Marcus Paige, also. Both perimeter talents and clear NBA guys even if marginal.

And UNC had #21 adjD doesn’t satisfy the requirements of great offense/bad defense. Its been established balanced teams are best at winning titles.

While I don’t think those questions are at all relevant to the discussion because they have absolutely nothing to do with whether an incredibly efficient offense can somehow be not “dynamic” enough, the fact is that Wisconsin in 2015 was #1 offensively with non-NBA guards Gasser, Jackson and Koenig and a defense which was among its very worst in the Bo Ryan era (#38), yet somehow made a deeper run than any of his other teams.

1 Like

38 adjD is pretty damn good, would be an achievement for JB. And it is obviously relevant since you can’t show me a great offense without NBA guards and bad defense that have made deep runs.

Eh. I don’t see how you can say he’s a clear NBA talent if he just barely got drafted and was pretty much immediately cut. And would Justin Jackson have been drafted if he left last year?

1 Like

Yes, JJ would have been drafted and no one is drafting any UM guard (even if to waive later) this year so there is a distinction. UNC still doesn’t satisfy the requirement of no NBA talent or bad defense, though, so it is all moot.

38th in AdjD… “pretty damn good”.

11th in AdjO… “not okay”.