The State of UM Basketball

HAIL on youtube has it.

He’s got a strong base and quick feet, but weak upper body (kind of narrow shoulders).

Thanks! Watched the 2nd half link that was listed by ReegsShannon. Think I’ll stick with that viewing. Was strange to see Happ on offense and so far away from the hoop. UM defense did a good job with him in the 2nd.

Interesting comments from JB in a Detroit News article regarding tonight’s Minnesota game.

“I think in this era of the bigger circle under the basket that shot blockers are going to be really important going forward, whether you’re what we call playing volleyball, just going up straight inside the arc and making people go over you, or whether you’ll be able to actually get your hands on the basketball. I think the second thing would be quickness, particularly on the perimeter. They really got great quickness everywhere and that helps you stay in front of people at every position."

2 Likes

Beilein to UM players: Don’t let rejection get you down

LOL glad he finally realizes this.

1 Like

Is there anyone that still thinks our offense is a problem? Still sitting at 11th in Kenpoms rankings. As soon as our defense started playing better, we started winning games. That’s because our defense was the problem… not our offense.

Pretty simple.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I believe Duncan Robinson is the most improved defensive player on the team. I thought he more than held his own Against Wisconsin and did a good job against Indiana as well, I think Donlon has to get a lot of credit for this

The offense is not dynamic enough to make a run in the tournament unless Derrick/Zak play out their mind and isn’t “fine.”

Weren’t you advocating for hiring McDermott because his offenses were consistently KenPom top 25? But JB’s #11 isn’t good enough?

3 Likes

Once again, the Kenpom rank is irrelevant when talking top offenses…dynamism matters. I’ve already presented the data on top offense, bad defensive teams that made a run in the tourney and NBA guards are essentially a prerequisite. And no, I did not “advocate for hiring McDermott” since I listed multiple guys but I do like his offensive savvy, age and the smooth transition that would occur… all enticing and reasons for considering him.

Do you think Walton has been “dynamic” in the last month? I agree with your point re: shot creators but his recent surge along with the team’s improved defense has me re-thinking the ceiling.

He has been great in a small stretch but I’d still probably side with him not being able to carry this offense for a deep run. Hope I’m proven wrong.

1 Like

Is Fultz a dynamic player in your opinion?

Is that a real question?

You cited Kenpom rankings when talking about McDermott’s offensive prowess.

1 Like

Yes, offensive prowess not dynamism. You’re attempting to conflate two very different points.

So what does Kenpom’s ranking say about JB’s offensive prowess this year?

He has a good offense, not a dynamic one. Kenpom doesn’t measure dynamism. A good offense that isn’t dynamic isn’t “fine” since it has almost no chance of fielding a deep run. Last time repeating myself.

1. Glad we agree that the offense is good.

2. What source can you cite that measures dynamism?