The State of UM Basketball

Wagner and wilson made huge leaps. Who’s to say no other player can?

Koenig scored 3.5 points as a freshman when the Badgers went to the Final Four. He scored 14 points over 4 games on their way to the F4. So, no. Even the next year, he was good, but wasn’t the straw that stirred the drink – he had games of 6, 8, and 9 points in the tourney and didn’t score more than 12. And if you think Koenig is dynamic, Walton is outplaying him significantly and beating those numbers you quoted, so it’s nice to know that we have a dynamic perimeter player on our roster right now, isn’t it?

You and Dylan were discussing perimeter players as opposed to 4 and 5 guys. Dekker was the 4. And that video was mostly him shooting catch-and-shoot 3s and dunking off passes. He wasn’t a dynamic perimeter player. We certainly have guys who can do that. Will they be as good as Dekker, maybe not, but certainly they’ll have as good perimeter skills if not better. Kaminsky was the guy who really elevated that team from the 5 spot.

You asked, I answered. QED. Have a good night.

3 Likes

Who said Koenig was “the straw”? You said he was a catch and shoot guy and that was categorically false. Thats not up for debate no matter how many paragraphs you write.

Walton won’t be here next year. Not sure what you are bringing him up for when the discussion is the roster going forward?

And Dekker was hitting 3s off pull ups and slashing while changing gears regularly. That is not up for debate. We have guys who are assured 1st round picks and equivalent talents to Dekker? Thanks for letting me know not to take any of your post serious going forward.

With Coach Beilein as coach I have no concerns regarding offense being good next year. DJ Wilson is an excellent passer and good enough with his handle to develop into a dynamic front court player. If he gets to the point where his defender needs help, he can rack up assists. He’s very smart player.

Regarding X, I’ve always been on the bandwagon. He’s going to be good. Elite in vision and passing. If you are the opponent and X gets the ball with someone open up the court, good luck.

Outside of Duncan Robinson, MAAR has the prettiest 3 point stroke on the team. If he gets his feet squared he’s deadly. Somebody (Coach Beilein) has done wonders with his form.

2 Likes

DJ has a 12.5 assist rate. He has nice vision for a combo forward but I’d take my chances with unknowns like X, Poole and CM facilitating.

And the concern isn’t that the offense won’t be good, the concern is it won’t be dynamic. People on here have to stop arguing things that were never said.

With the way Teske has looked and the constant but hopefully not real threat of Wagner going back to Germany, I’m not convinced adding a front court piece isn’t needed and I’m 100% fine with waiting out Bamba. I wish Davis was a non-take and we need to land a better option than Teske to make it worthwhile, but it’s an area of concern to me that is equal to our wing depth in terms of 2017 roster construction.

That said, we HAVE to land a creator or two in 2018 and not a catch and shoot only guy.

1 Like

Oh. My bad. I think it will be dynamic with Wagner and Wilson being the focal points. Both them guys going to be tough to deal with.

1 Like

Good point on the possibility of Wagner leaving. Doubtful he leaves this year, but a distinct probability after his junior season.

1 Like

His play the last two games has been very good, I just don’t think two games amounts to a “significant amount of data.”

You’re right. I fixed my grammar, which definitely changes the meaning.

Well, he’s much quicker when he’s decisive, and seems far more decisive now. He’s getting into the lane and making things happen, either with layups, passes, or even a few floaters. And he looked good knocking down that three against MSU. I think he’s going to fine. Poor man’s Sherman Douglas.

I agree, there isn’t much data, it’s just an eye test. He looks more confident, decisive, he’s creating for himself and others in the half court, and other than getting bullied down low once or twice by Eron Harris, he’s really pesky and quick on defense.

I can’t see why Wagner would leave for Germany. He can play there anytime. Staying here is his best chance of making the NBA.

He has always had that ability, though. Adjusting to the speed and physicality of college while learning the hardest position on the court meant an adjustment period that many on here were not taking into consideration.

1 Like

Michigan’s offense up to #8 in kenpom’s Offensive Rating. Pretty solid offense.

2 Likes

I agree, but there were times when it didn’t look good. I feel like he’s turned a corner and I’m no longer worrried him next year. Interestingly enough, on your question about “who will get him an open look,” DJ was the one who dished it to him off the dribble for the spot up three against MSU.

Yeah, I’m not on board with DJ as shot creator that seems to be gaining steam but I can’t knock you if you are.

I certainly don’t see him ever being used in the pick and roll, at least not as a dribbler, but he is showing the ability to put the ball on the floor and score as the roll man, or shoot the three, and some ability to take it to the rack from the perimeter.

To me, having a couple guys with post moves (Wagner, Wilson) will open things up a lot, and so will having a jet quick guy like Simpson. I also feel like Brooks and Poole are going to contribute early. But again, I’d be in favor of offering Elliott as soon as we conclude Bamba is unlikely.

1 Like

Well, anyone who demands help defenders and can pass is technically a shot creator. For the record, I do not see DJ as a PnR facilitator, if that’s what we are talking about.

It’s amazing how we have the best offense in the B1G and 8th best in the country with a coach who doesn’t understand how to build an offense and players who can’t create shots.

4 Likes