The State of UM Basketball

And when Donnal hits a three too, look out…

1 Like

It can be infectious, both good and bad, for sure. Helps when guys like MAAR (hasn’t been shooting well) goes 3/3 and Duncan (guy who needs to make 3s to provide net utility) goes 3/5. Sure seems like the team is developing eyes for transition, getting heads up off of misses.

2 Likes

I really took a lot from the first ten minutes. It’s easier to be confident and pull the trigger when you’ve hit 1 or 2 shots already, but they all seemed to be confident in their first shots and came out strong as a team. Wagner and DJ got them all going early.

1 Like

The offense was great in every facet. I’m really glad they started hitting the backdoor. All year u s been seeing the cutter open on back doors and off curls and we just ignore it. Guys are open. Hit the guy instead of going through the motions. They did that today and I was loving it. This team has so much offensive potential when they play smart, share the ball and cut hard/ slash hard. Our strength is our balance.

Even though he put up few stats I was happy with zak again. He didn’t over dribble or try and do too much and the ball wasn’t dieing with him. He took what was there and played within the offense. I can’t stress how important that is for us. Let’s hope that continues in tight games. Teams will have a hard time guarding us if they share the ball and all play smart while staying aggressive .

I really liked our chances against st even before this game. Let’s keep the intensity. I really think we have a better team than them.

Refs were great tonight. Best crew in recent memory. Imagine if we had that crew against the Badgers. There is little doubt in my mind that we pull away and win big in that game with a neutral crew. Our resume would look much different with they victory.

Oh well, push onward.

Higher:

Michigan’s regulars season losses or Xavier Simpson’s regular season FGM?

1 Like

Definitely losses

7 to 6 right now

I’m sure it’s been said in earlier posts, but big part of the D tonight:

1 Like

In addition to what others have already said, I really liked how hard they were cutting tonight.

I know Dylan says we have to wait until next year, which is true to a certain extent, but I think even Dylan would be lying to say that X hasn’t been a disappointment thus far, and its a huge concern moving forward. Simply cannot have a class where it appears both of your perimeter signees are not likely to be starters at any point.

This class is going to end up worse than the 2015 1 man class.

I don’t know - they shot a high percentage, but turned it over a ton, and a lot of those came from tightly guarded guys dribbling it out of bounds or throwing a bad pass. And they finished with 60. I’d say that’s good defense.

2 Likes

It won’t be a big deal if Mathews, Brooks and Poole are all capable of being productive starters next year.

I’m a big nervous although I think his d will be good. He has shown some vision too. If still prefer if they sign a grad transfer pg or combo guard if they miss on bamba just in case. I really like out prospects next year. I do not want to take any chances.

I don’t think there’s any way in hell that Brooks and Poole are capable of being productive starters next year.

I’ll bet they will be. We’ll see.

I’m not going that far, still too early, but it’s definitely a concern. I totally understood, and even agreed with the X pickup. However I’m absolutely clueless as to why we pursued Ibi Watson and Austin Davis given the roster needs and their talent level. Just very poor moves in my view. Those are the type of moves that cripple a program for years if recruiting isn’t perfect the following cycle.

2 Likes

You’re willing to bet that Eli Brooks and Jordan Poole will be competent starters next year?

I’ve never been a gambling man but this is far too easy. Define competent and let’s make some wagers

They were odd but as long as they add two wings in 18 I think the roster will be balanced again. I’m probably the only guy on the board who has faith that Davis will be a nice low post player in two years. I like his footwork and the way he uses his body/ creates contact. Real soft touch in those videos. Odd fit for our style of play though as he seems like an old school big who you hit on the block to let work. I could see him developing a nice pop game though/ nice shot in general

Also I may have imagined this but didn’t you say that it was mentioned by belein in practice that austins their best rebounder?

I don’t put much stock into Beilein practice reports lol.

Last year Dawkins was the most improved player on the team. At one point Morgan was one of the most atthletic big men in the country.