The State of UM Basketball

Mark played really well in those two, early season wins against Marquette and SMU - not only finishing at the rim, but he played some nice defense.

Since then, it’s been fully downhill. He just doesn’t seem to want it, at all. So yes, I’d agree, let’s see what Teske can do. He certainly can’t box out any worse, we know that.

You can’t just absolve a player from his bad playing because the game was pretty much over. The original post said that it was the best game Irvin has had in a long time. No qualifying statement about that meaning anything less than the full game. In overall performance while I think it’s clear he was better vs. Wisconsin, I guess an argument could be made that they were equal if you take out the last 10 minutes of the Illinois game? Still not his best game in awhile but whatever. As I said earlier, if you take the parts where he sucked out he sure played great! Same with Donnal, Watson, Robinson, etc.

I think your putting to much on the stats. In other games where Irvin had what looked like a nice line, he had a ton of negative plays you can’t always quantify, at really really important junctures. on paper Wisconsin or Illinois look better but he was a huge factor of why we lost on each imo. Lots of our losses I hang a lot at his feet. Not everyone agrees with me there but that’s how I see it and why I want his graduation to come quickly.

In those other games his decision making could be horrendous. Lots of over dribbling and trying to force things. It has a ripple effect that’s hard to quantify. Really takes us out of our flow and groove and we go on huge four or five minute droughts. Many unnecessary hero ball plays that end in really tough contested threes or fading deep twos,

Like I said they come a lot at really huge moments to. Could give me a heart attack if I was belein. I actually wanted him benched on numerous occasions this year but he has they keys. Belein is ok with living or dying with him. He sees zak as our go to and let’s it go thinking we can’t score without him clearly. I do not agree . Would have loved to seen him benched a few times over last ten games. Even if it’s for two minutes to reel him in and point out the mistakes.

My point in this ramble? He didn’t do that at all really last game. Particularly the first 34 minutes. I forgot about that pass to moe so actually three of his 4 turnovers came when the game was over. We also handed it off to him with four on the clock a few tired so those horrible misses don’t count as bad play to me. It really skewed just how great he played. He forced almost nothing. Swung the ball, hit the open man played tough d, dribbled with purpose and most importantly attacked the rim.

That 34 minutes is exactly what I want to see out of zak. He plays like that and we are a tourney team.

And I think you’re putting too much into me disagreeing with you. I think it was pretty clear from watching the games.

I’d say the same

Your last post was far too “tl;dr” for me, so if you would really like to continue then DM me because this is cluttering the thread.

I’m good we see things differently clearly on this team from a lot of our posts. Agree to disagree. I do want to know though why you do the thing though where you disagree we both lay out our opinions and then you act like I’m freaking out or something or taking the forum too seriously. It’s happened two or three times. Maybe it’s hard to tell on here and I come off that way but that is not my intention. It’s all I’m good fun and I just like debate ( to an extent) and love talking hoops on all levels. If I come off hostile believe it’s all good I am not over here about to smash my phone or keyboard. Although I do feel like smashing my tv when we blow our games or get cheated by the refs ( Wisconsin second half anyone).

Seriously that was the worse homerism I’ve seen in a Michigan game in quite some time. That ten minutes of reffing was a joke, then they give us two make ups calls when the badgers are back in it like its all good. Damage was done. Really surprised the board wasn’t in more of an uproar. I get it we still had our chance yadda yadda, but that doesn’t mean it was right. Planted our guys on the bench and saved like six possessions for them. We could have been up 15 without that crap. Honestly I’m real sour about that

I think this was the first time I have directly interacted with you on this forum, so okay??? I’ll try harder next time. Sorry?

No u did it one other time the same way. It’s all good if that’s not your intentions then I apologize. I just felt like you were trying to clown on me or act like i was a spaz when I was just discussing zaks performances and why I thought stats aside that he played a really great game and those other ones were very melo ask. Nice stat lines but horrible for the team and winning

No more ruining the thread my bad all,

By the way these next two games are key to the season. Also they are both very winnable. Really will show us where these team is going. Indiana losing og really helps us a lot. I could have seen his athleticism and energy really killing us. Especially when Bryant is gonna be such a load to hold off/ prepare for. His injury really leaves this squad no excuse. Evens out the talent level a lot. At home too, no excuses we need this one.

Also state on the road. Usually a daunting task but I really am not impressed with st this year. Our vets versus their frosh. Those frosh are definitely underachieving. Bridges is obviously an animal but the others have been slower to come along. I loved ward in high school. Kids very tough and strong/ physical so that could present a challenge. I’m not sure how he’s been doing. I saw him struggle early but apparently not anymore. Just saw he’s at 13 a game.

The rest of the state squad is struggling. Harris is solid but not as great as everyone thought he’d be imo when he transferred. With those injuries I really think their vulnerable down low on d. Same thing if they go with Cassius ( tum Tum might be smarter for state in this match up) . Cassius is good for their offense but Derrick should abuse him. If he doesn’t drop 20 on him I’ll be disappointed. He should shut him down too. That’s one position

These are really good measuring sticks/ opportunities at kinda the right time. Nice resume builders in name but their squads are down right now. Honestly I feel better about the state road game then Hoosiers at home. How great would it be for these guys to get it together and go 2-0 this week. I still feel like we haven’t broken out even once this big ten season. I’d love to watch us get hot right on time,very winnable resume builders. Sadly I say we go 1-1. Lose Hoosiers matchup then beat st at Breslin.

0-2 is the kiss of death.

Couldn’t find the 2017 recruiting notes but ESPN released new rankings.

Poole #57

Livers #76

I prefer livers to Poole.

I agree and it sucks because Poole is the one we need to contribute right away.

In other words, no update at all essentially, as both Poole and Livers hold the exact same ranking as they did post-summer, along with 98% of the other prospects on the list. Even the non top 100 4 stars remain stagnant. What a joke

True rankings updates won’t occur until April/May once those services have seen the prospects live in AAU.

Illinois recruit tilmon dropped 15 spots though lol. He should be good but he’s not the 5* people around her think he is.
I’d put Poole between 90-100 and leave livers where he is.

Having seen both Livers and Poole live a ton, both are 85-100 prospects in my opinion.

Fair assessment although livers in the 65 range would be fair imo with his ability to block shots and handle a bit coming out.

Mattd not sure if you know anything about it but where did we stand with young? Do you think he chooses us over butler if we don’t add livers? Also who do you prefer/ wish we had? I lean toward young as he has that knack for being crafty or making the type of plays that win games that you don’t see on the stat sheet. He was my favorite 17 kid for a while. Along with Donnie Tillman of course :grin:

Livers had more upside than Kyle though with his superior hops/ speed. That is one positive for sure.

Also Mattd I know you aren’t an Ibi fan but do you think it’s a lock Poole comes in and jumps him in the rotation? I’m one of the few on here it seems who thinks Poole struggles next year. I really could see him taking a year to improve and get settled into the college game. I think it’s realistic to believe that Ibi holds him off as first back up to maar. Second wing off the bench after Duncan.

Young is the better rebounder to Livers, and equal in terms of shooting, so I preferred Young.

While Isaiah has shown some flashes handling the ball, he simply has not done so in EYBL, nor the one time he faced legit comp during the HS season. He has one more regular season HS game where he faces legit comp and I’m curious to see how he does.

Without ball handling, Livers is a catch and shoot guy, that is an above average athlete, that is an average/slightly below average rebounder. That has the makings of an 85-100 guy in my opinion.

Going to now have two very good wins with Marquette about to get a nice bump up after this week.

I still maintain 9-9 with a W at Rutgers will do the trick.

1 Like